Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:45 AM   #1

Looking for info on a Prevost

Hi, I've admired Prevost conversions from a far. We sold our Monaco DP last year but are looking for another coach. I've been doing some reading on Prevost conversions.
There's one for sale not too far from us. I'm looking for some thoughts from experienced Prevost owners as to whether this is worth investigating or steer clear.

Here are the highlights:

1986 Prevost (2003 Rainbow Coach Conversion - Canada)
Current owners bought this unit in 2003. It was a passenger coach.
8V92 engine,
740 Allison automatic transmission (rebuilt 2018)
300,000 miles - Are these Detroit engines really million mile engines?
Propane Generator 20 hrs
Propane boiler for heat and hot water
Propane tank: 60 gals
Solar panels
Two roof air units
Stainless steel holding tanks
New front brakes - New tag brakes - 50% on drive axel
New airbags
Age of tires: 2018
Trace 2500 24 volt inverter.

*There is no cruise control! Can one be added without spending thousands of dollars?
The 300,000 miles is concerning. Is that an issue with Detroits?
What is an acceptable price range?

Anyone care to weigh in?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2022, 12:20 AM   #2

run away..
Demon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 05:56 AM   #3

There is a list of approved converters on the Prevost website. Is Rainbow Coach listed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon13 View Post
run away..
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2 Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:41 AM   #4

Buying a Prevost is a serious consideration. If you buy the wrong one, you will be in a world of hurt.

There will not be a lot of info here as there is a separate site for Prevost info where the guru's hang out.

On that site, you have to join but it's free.

www.prevostcommunity.com

You will find the best information there and the people who live and breath everything Prevost.

In the description that you listed, two air units are really not enough if you travel to a hot climate. Is it a 40 ft. or 45 ft coach?

I had mine built in 2014 (takes about 7 months to build) and owned it for 6.5 yrs. and about 63,000 miles of driving. I had a four slide unit, 1.5 baths, four 3,500 watt inverters, 3 lithium house batteries, 20K diesel generator, no solar..... it was a beautiful coach.

Prevost's are 'million mile' coaches but most things attached to the engine are not. They NEED maintenance and attention to make it for the long haul. What is nice, is that everything on a Prevost chassis is very robust. The size of everything is bigger....brakes, bags, etc. And, they have real front and rear bumpers and are a true monocoque chassis (stainless steel cage).

What I liked about a Prevost are their service centers. They are designed for Entertainer coaches and Passenger buses, the motto is: 'get that coach back on the road', 'time is money'..... Prevost coach owners get the benefit of that business model.

The service centers carry everything 'chassis' related..... windshields, side glass, engine parts, they can rebuild engines which are easily removed from the rear of the coach. They can perform 3 axle alignments, etc.

Good luck and safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:03 AM   #5

Thank you all for your input.

I'm heading over to the Prevost Community and see what they have to say.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:29 PM   #6

The Detroit Diesel 8V92 Engine

The 8V92 is a good engine. For that engine it is recommended to rebuild at the 700,000 mile mark.
Simplymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplymagic View Post
The 8V92 is a good engine. For that engine it is recommended to rebuild at the 700,000 mile mark.
It turns out the engine and chassis have 600,000 miles on them. I know its a Prevost but that's kind of worrisome.

The general feeling from the Prevost community is to avoid that coach.
Old 04-23-2022, 02:25 PM   #8

8V92 Detroit Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
It turns out the engine and chassis have 600,000 miles on them. I know its a Prevost but that's kind of worrisome.

The general feeling from the Prevost community is to avoid that coach.
Yiga, that does not leave you much wiggle room. Rebuilds are not cheap.
Keep looking, there are a lot of good bus's out there that are in really good condition and lots of miles left on the engines.

(I speak from experience.)
Simplymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:52 AM   #9

Has that engine ever had an inframe. If not it needs one. What is your budget? Are you aware of the annual maintenance costs?
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:09 AM   #10

While the 8v92 was a good engine, it is no Series 60. That is the engine you want to find in a Prevost (my dad helped test and design those engines for over 30 years).
Coldjensens is offline   Reply With Quote