Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2022, 09:03 AM   #1

Mini split in 40 foot bus

Hi all

Just bought my 40-foot bus and planning the layout and solar/battery setup.

Definitely going the mini split. Wondering if anyone out there has mini split and what BTU did you go with and 1 or 2 head units.

Thanks

Mark
MarkCHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2022, 09:52 AM   #2

I'd really like to know how this all turns out! In particular, where you'll mount the condenser and compressor and what heat pump you wind up using are very interesting.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:05 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mounting the units will be the major problem and running the lines as well. I would definitely go with two zones as a minimum and at least 36,000 to 40,000 BTUH. This will need to be 120 VAC power supply.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:43 PM   #4

Not going to find a 36k btu in 120volt, here is my install: I would run 2-12k 120 volt units. They seem to be the lest expensive. I run mine on 1 2000 watt honda genny.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/mini...ll-525680.html
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
I'd really like to know how this all turns out! In particular, where you'll mount the condenser and compressor and what heat pump you wind up using are very interesting.
Will keep you posted
Old 07-06-2022, 11:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
Not going to find a 36k btu in 120volt, here is my install: I would run 2-12k 120 volt units. They seem to be the lest expensive. I run mine on 1 2000 watt honda genny.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/mini...ll-525680.html
Seems like a good idea (at least you have some redundancy if one goes out)
Old 10-01-2022, 12:57 PM   #7

Hello, new to the forum, well, this forum but not forums in general. Thought I might be able to throw my opinion in.

MarkCHI -
Do you have an engine driven AC system for when you are driving?
If you do, think twice before removing it. They are typically 80,000 BTUs each. It takes a lot more to cool off a moving vehicle than a stationary one. On my bus (still in conversion process) there are two separate engine driven AC systems. One with a evaporator in the rear, and another with a front and midship evaporator. We plan to remove the rear evaporator system as keeping the front/mid of the skoolie cool is more important while driving.
If you do not have any kind of engine driven AC you will be hot, no amount of solar will fit on the roof to power the amount of AC you need while moving. The vibrations from driving will also damage your outdoor unit if it is in use, it's just a matter of time.

Do you plan to insulate the floors, wall, or ceiling? Do you plan to remove windows? Do you plan to replace the bus door with an insulated door? Do you plan to partition your sleeping/living spaces?
Any amount of insulation or removal of glass you can do in your build will make it easier to keep cool or to keep warm. From what I've seen/heard 12,000 BTU is good on a 40ft if you plan to chase 70-80 degree temperatures, above that and you'll be warm inside. I personally am putting in 2 12,000BTU minisplits. Unfortunately the only dual zone minisplits I can find run on 240v splitphase with very large outdoor units. Having two outdoor units is not ideal, but smaller units are easier to tuck away, 120v is easier to accommodate, and for pioneer units it ends up costing the same anyway. And of course if you can close off where you are sleeping it will make it much easier to keep comfortable at night.

n2zon - Our plan is to use 2 separate 12,000 BTU units. One evaporator located in the rear where we will sleep and one evaporator located in the front. This will allow us to run only one unit at night with the room closed off from the rest of the bus to save power. As well as cool the whole bus running both units during the day on solar. The front condenser will be located under the bus between the frame rails in front of the front axle in parallel with the frame rails, approximately 15ft of line will be needed. The rear condenser will be located under the bus against the driver side skirt in front of the rear axle, approximately 25ft of line will be needed. We are going with Pioneer minisplits as (to my research) they provide the best SEER value as well as the outdoor units are very short. They will only decrease the ground clearance by one inch when mounted under the bus. Going from nine inches of ground clearance to eight inches shouldn't matter.

TXiceman - I'll have to disagree with problems in mounting and running lines, at least on the bus that I have chosen it shouldn't be an issue. But each bus will vary. I do recommend two zones, but if you are only installing one unit I recommend it to be mounted wherever you will be sleeping. Going about your day with windows open and fans on is doable, but no one likes to sleep while hot. I also believe 36,000 BTU for your stationary AC is overkill. It would be very nice but the power consumption would be ludicrous.
ClouseHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClouseHouse View Post
Hello, new to the forum, well, this forum but not forums in general. Thought I might be able to throw my opinion in.

MarkCHI -
Do you have an engine driven AC system for when you are driving?
If you do, think twice before removing it. They are typically 80,000 BTUs each. It takes a lot more to cool off a moving vehicle than a stationary one. On my bus (still in conversion process) there are two separate engine driven AC systems. One with a evaporator in the rear, and another with a front and midship evaporator. We plan to remove the rear evaporator system as keeping the front/mid of the skoolie cool is more important while driving.
If you do not have any kind of engine driven AC you will be hot, no amount of solar will fit on the roof to power the amount of AC you need while moving. The vibrations from driving will also damage your outdoor unit if it is in use, it's just a matter of time.

Do you plan to insulate the floors, wall, or ceiling? Do you plan to remove windows? Do you plan to replace the bus door with an insulated door? Do you plan to partition your sleeping/living spaces?
Any amount of insulation or removal of glass you can do in your build will make it easier to keep cool or to keep warm. From what I've seen/heard 12,000 BTU is good on a 40ft if you plan to chase 70-80 degree temperatures, above that and you'll be warm inside. I personally am putting in 2 12,000BTU minisplits. Unfortunately the only dual zone minisplits I can find run on 240v splitphase with very large outdoor units. Having two outdoor units is not ideal, but smaller units are easier to tuck away, 120v is easier to accommodate, and for pioneer units it ends up costing the same anyway. And of course if you can close off where you are sleeping it will make it much easier to keep comfortable at night.

n2zon - Our plan is to use 2 separate 12,000 BTU units. One evaporator located in the rear where we will sleep and one evaporator located in the front. This will allow us to run only one unit at night with the room closed off from the rest of the bus to save power. As well as cool the whole bus running both units during the day on solar. The front condenser will be located under the bus between the frame rails in front of the front axle in parallel with the frame rails, approximately 15ft of line will be needed. The rear condenser will be located under the bus against the driver side skirt in front of the rear axle, approximately 25ft of line will be needed. We are going with Pioneer minisplits as (to my research) they provide the best SEER value as well as the outdoor units are very short. They will only decrease the ground clearance by one inch when mounted under the bus. Going from nine inches of ground clearance to eight inches shouldn't matter.

TXiceman - I'll have to disagree with problems in mounting and running lines, at least on the bus that I have chosen it shouldn't be an issue. But each bus will vary. I do recommend two zones, but if you are only installing one unit I recommend it to be mounted wherever you will be sleeping. Going about your day with windows open and fans on is doable, but no one likes to sleep while hot. I also believe 36,000 BTU for your stationary AC is overkill. It would be very nice but the power consumption would be ludicrous.
No engine ac. Installed LG 9k ( much bette then pioneer IMO) for sleeping area under bus (not hooked up yet). Plan on adding 2nd at front if I need it
Old 10-02-2022, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCHI View Post
No engine ac. Installed LG 9k ( much bette then pioneer IMO) for sleeping area under bus (not hooked up yet). Plan on adding 2nd at front if I need it
Aren't all of the LG minisplits ran off of split phase 220v? That's I why decided not to go with them.
ClouseHouse is offline   Reply With Quote