Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #15

Watching this thread and I have questions. I found a featherlite vogue 45 ft 2001 coach that badly needs paint and it does not have a slide but I'm not sure I care. Priced at 25k low nada with unknown care history. I still want to look at it but can really find little to no detail on what it should have , no brochures etc. Are there owners here that would answer questions? I know how a prevost is built how comparable is this. What should I look for as problem areas
hlagooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlagooty View Post
Watching this thread and I have questions. I found a featherlite vogue 45 ft 2001 coach that badly needs paint and it does not have a slide but I'm not sure I care. Priced at 25k low nada with unknown care history. I still want to look at it but can really find little to no detail on what it should have , no brochures etc. Are there owners here that would answer questions? I know how a prevost is built how comparable is this. What should I look for as problem areas
I had a 92 which was not a prevost chassis like an 01.
Did look at a 99 no slide, it had the active turning tag which was problematic so worth checking carefully.
https://www.rvt.com/Prevost-Featherl...94466-UX210868
Take it this is it?
Old 02-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #17

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
"Better the devil you know than the devil you don't."

Arch,
Truer words were never spoken
regarding used Motorhomes of any species, stripe or type!
Amen - Ron
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:45 PM   #18

Quote:

I would be very careful with any Prevost conversion in such disrepair. Prevost owners are usually very diligent about caring, maintaining, storing and upgrading their coaches. If it’s the one on the photo below, something happened to this coach where it could be a big money pit. You will not save any money in the end, and probably find yourself under water very quickly. Plenty of well taken care of buses out there, you just have to patiently search.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:10 PM   #19

I am a novice when it comes to Prevost. But I have been looking for my dream coach for a year. Buying a Prevost on the cheap is a big mistake. Any coach that costs a million or more new and has been neglected is worthless. You cannot have some back yard carpenter remodel a Prevost. There is a reason they are expensive. NADA means nothing. Not enough of any one model are sold each year to establish a value. Featherlite is a popular bus. I am not positive but I think most were built on the H3-45 chassis. That model is very high . As much as 13,6. Some people do not like the steep entrance. They do have huge bays. A 2001 may have the delam problem. If so the cost to repair can reach $50,000. Prevost can perform a test to see if any panels are loose. About $500. Buying a coach that needs repairs will bankrupt you very quickly. If that Featherlite has a price of say $100,000 or less it will likely be junk. Look at some of the broker websites for an idea of values. Or go to the featherlite website.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:54 PM   #20

Yes that's the one
Old 02-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Yes that's the one
They were a quality conversion. I have had a 62 and 74 bus conversions, and a 95 Newell. If you have tools and knowledge, you can probably repair and maintain it yourself. Painting I would leave to professionals. But as others have said, if you have to pay someone to do the work, probably not a good deal.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xbear View Post
I can tell you, firsthand experience, your 2014 Dutch Star will never hold up another 10-15 years. I used to own a 2018 King Aire. What a piece of crap. During the year I owned it, I had it in the shop more than I used it. Electrical, Oasis, engine, spartan stuff, you name it, I fixed it. Some of the features that were good selling points, like the automation tablet controls, never worked. Traded it after much trepidation for a 2008 Marathon Prevost XLVII. Wow. Night and day. Everything works. The ride is unlike anything I experienced before. I did spend a good amount on upgrades, but I knew I was going to anyway. Mechanically, I essentially “zeroed our” my coach for 15k. Changed out things that didn’t even need changing out. Bottom line is, you can’t compare a Newmar, or a Newell for that matter, to a Prevost. There’s a reason they are this expensive. Finally, if you need service, you call and they get you in. Most times same day, in and out. Try that with a Newmar.
Better change your signature
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
One is a plastic fantastic. The other is built like a tank. No comparison
That is not what he is asking, he already knows that.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:35 PM   #24

Back to the OPs thinking.
So if you think you can get $200,000 for your current coach ?
You better take cash fast.
I think you may be lucky to get $160,000.
So get yours on the market if thats what you think is smart.
Get the cash whatever it ends up being.
Then go shopping [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Personally
Keep and enjoy what you have now.
It will be the cheapest decision you make at this time.
Unless you have hundreds of thousands $$$s to freely spend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTraveler View Post
I am on my 3rd DP motorhome. It is a 2014 Newmar DutchStar 4018. I am original owner, know the history which has been good. The way I look at it, and the way I am trying to sell wife,is the following theory. My motorhome has a value of $200k, with no extended warranty left, and still a lot of depreciation left.with that same $200k value find a 1997-2003 or so used Prevost. At that age it’s depreciation should have flattened out. If I can find out that has been properly maintained by previous owners the age and mileage do not bother me. With either coach there will be somewhat comparable operating expenses. So far the tough part has been finding one from that era that looks like it should come with a stripper pole. What to do, what to do....
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:21 PM   #25

That featherlite for 25k will be a poc. Do you reallythink someone would sell a decent unit at that price? You would probably spend 150 to 200 thou to mske it usable. Bet the panels are loose. Good luck.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 02-17-2020, 09:26 PM   #26

Featherlite

Thanks for the responses. Yes I am hoping to find a deal. I am a mechanic and DIY guy and the thought was if the interior was good and the shell intact I could resurrect it. After all it's a million mile chassis right? The delam bit I did not know due to hardly any info being out there. But the consensus is it's a pos I may still.look for a diamond in the rough but now will approach with a jaundiced eye. I ll let you know.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Yes I am hoping to find a deal. I am a mechanic and DIY guy and the thought was if the interior was good and the shell intact I could resurrect it. After all it's a million mile chassis right? The delam bit I did not know due to hardly any info being out there. But the consensus is it's a pos I may still.look for a diamond in the rough but now will approach with a jaundiced eye. I ll let you know.
If you are a mechanic and a DIY guy, worth checking it out. Once bought a $50000 coach for $10000 because it was smoking. All the naysayers said it was a money pit. Turned out it was a $124 injector, put 25000 money free miles on it, and sold it for more than I paid for it. If you know what you are doing, it will be self apparent after a good inspection.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:10 AM   #28

There are msny items in a converted bus that require technical skills that may be lacking. Electrinic controls can be complex. Repairs can be expensive as some items are not similar to items in say a 2002 Bounder. Water pumps,inverter systems,toilets come to mind. You might be better off looking at a slightly older bus. Maybe a 1995. Simpler design. Good luck.
2009 Silverado Toad

Tags
newmar