RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:42 PM   #1

Newmar vs. Prevost

I am on my 3rd DP motorhome. It is a 2014 Newmar DutchStar 4018. I am original owner, know the history which has been good. The way I look at it, and the way I am trying to sell wife,is the following theory. My motorhome has a value of $200k, with no extended warranty left, and still a lot of depreciation left.with that same $200k value find a 1997-2003 or so used Prevost. At that age it’s depreciation should have flattened out. If I can find out that has been properly maintained by previous owners the age and mileage do not bother me. With either coach there will be somewhat comparable operating expenses. So far the tough part has been finding one from that era that looks like it should come with a stripper pole. What to do, what to do....
NCTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2020, 04:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are in two totally different camps there. A Newmar vs. a Prevost is like comparing a Buick to a Rolls Royce. One is fine and the other is WOW.

Ken
Old 02-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #3

Most Prevost bus conversions and most Newells are custom made to the wishes of the original owner, so you will find them built to all kinds of standards. Just have to keep looking till you find one you like. For that money you can find a nice 3 slide Newell, which is, to me, a better value.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:51 PM   #4
RVM #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
There's a nice '07 Newell at Motorhomes of Texas. I studied on it for quite a while, but it's just out of reach for me. It's a dandy though, 3 slides, 625hp pre-DEF CAT, 10 speed automatic transmission. About 90k miles, good for 900k more.
I'm pretty sure it's still available.
Edit: I checked, far as I can see, (on their website).....it is available.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:14 PM   #5

This one is more in your price range
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...IDE-5009750592
Old 02-11-2020, 09:04 AM   #6

One is a plastic fantastic. The other is built like a tank. No comparison
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:06 PM   #7

In the same position right now: build a new 2021 Dutch star / mountain aire or find a Prevost or Newell.

Following along!
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:24 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you thought the cost of repair and maintenance on your DS was high a Prevost is very high. I ran into a Prevost owner with a small electrical issue and $30K later it was fixed. Like a Rolls Royce everything is more expensive.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:47 PM   #9

None of the new plastic motorhomes are decent
The entegra,newmar and all the units by rev are gorgeous. Nice paint jobs. But inderneath they are no better than a Thor. But one of those units that is say 6 or7 years old may have more quality. For sure if they are 10 years old. As for $30,000 for an electrical problem. There will be more to this story. All the shops are charging almost $150 an hour. Any unit with serious electrical problems could eat up 50 hours. $30,000 sounds extreme.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
None of the new plastic motorhomes are decent
The entegra,newmar and all the units by rev are gorgeous. Nice paint jobs. But inderneath they are no better than a Thor. But one of those units that is say 6 or7 years old may have more quality. For sure if they are 10 years old. As for $30,000 for an electrical problem. There will be more to this story. All the shops are charging almost $150 an hour. Any unit with serious electrical problems could eat up 50 hours. $30,000 sounds extreme.
Agree $30000 is unbelievable unless he had an all lithium powered inverter coach and it all melted down, or a full length wiring harness problem. All the bus conversions I have seen, are built to a MUCH higher standard than any standard motorhome.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:47 PM   #11

I can tell you, firsthand experience, your 2014 Dutch Star will never hold up another 10-15 years. I used to own a 2018 King Aire. What a piece of crap. During the year I owned it, I had it in the shop more than I used it. Electrical, Oasis, engine, spartan stuff, you name it, I fixed it. Some of the features that were good selling points, like the automation tablet controls, never worked. Traded it after much trepidation for a 2008 Marathon Prevost XLVII. Wow. Night and day. Everything works. The ride is unlike anything I experienced before. I did spend a good amount on upgrades, but I knew I was going to anyway. Mechanically, I essentially “zeroed our” my coach for 15k. Changed out things that didn’t even need changing out. Bottom line is, you can’t compare a Newmar, or a Newell for that matter, to a Prevost. There’s a reason they are this expensive. Finally, if you need service, you call and they get you in. Most times same day, in and out. Try that with a Newmar.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTraveler View Post
I am on my 3rd DP motorhome. It is a 2014 Newmar DutchStar 4018. I am original owner, know the history which has been good. The way I look at it, and the way I am trying to sell wife,is the following theory. My motorhome has a value of $200k, with no extended warranty left, and still a lot of depreciation left.with that same $200k value find a 1997-2003 or so used Prevost. At that age it’s depreciation should have flattened out. If I can find out that has been properly maintained by previous owners the age and mileage do not bother me. With either coach there will be somewhat comparable operating expenses. So far the tough part has been finding one from that era that looks like it should come with a stripper pole. What to do, what to do....
Stripper pole? There's a Newell that comes up for sale often that has the "Bordello" interior. . Very red, crushed velvet/velour, lots of mirrors. Only missing the brass pole and I'm sure it could be added. I suspect the reason it comes back up for sale is the buyer finds out an interior conversion starts at around $250k and goes up from there.

Newells are lovely, custom coaches and the basic interior design elements (lighting, countertops, toilet room and bathrooms) are very attractive. Some buyers have very specific (and otherwise unpopular) ideas of what is attractive to them, so there's that... but for $500k you can buy a Newell and refurbish the interior and enjoy it for another 20 years. If you find a used Newell with an acceptable interior (not too hard if you can wait) you can get in for under $250k.

$500k buys a nice Liberty, Marathon or Featherlite coach, too, all built on Prevost chassis.

While the Dutch Star is a nice coach it's not in the same class as a Newell or a Prevost conversion.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:03 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Better the devil you know than the devil you don't."

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:08 PM   #14

Tags
newmar