Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-28-2021, 04:30 PM   #99
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheLover View Post
Having owned both a 2012 Monaco Dynasty and my current Marathon I can tell you there is no comparison. Itís like comparing a Sherman tank to a Lexus. I could do maybe 4-5 hours in the Monaco before wanting to quit for the day. I can drive 10 hours from Orlando to our place near Asheville in the Prevost without getting beat up. Remember these coaches are designed for commercial use so the driver needs to be able to comfortably go a full shift.

As for delamination, that is a concern in XL coaches (stainless steel sided) like mine. Make sure that repair has been done or have it inspected at a Prevost repair facility. The repair is upwards of $50k Iíve heard. Mine had the repair done before I bought it.



Have you driven it on bumpy freeways? In Michigan and Illinois the freeways (and roads) are a mess. It is hard to drive a cheap Rv even for two hours. You tense up every time you hit a series of massive potholes and you think you just wrecked the rig. You also think your teeth are about to come out, plus you get nauseous. That is one of the things that made me start turning back to the idea of a prevost rather than an extra $100K spending money. IF all driving is going to be horribly unpleasant, then we will not even want to do this. Of course we were driving cheapest of the cheap (Thor Challenger), so most likely all other motor-homes will be more comfortable to drive.



I guess I will have to find an opportunity to drive a Prevost and a signature on a nasty highway to see what is what.



As for resale, I do not see that as an issue. I expect when we sell our retirement RV, we will be junking it, or selling it for peanuts no matter what we get.I do nto expect it to serve as an investment of any kind, it is a consumable like a car or truck.



I have never sold a car truck or van, we just drive them until they are worthless. We are really picky about getting what we like and then have no desire to change unless it is just not practical to keep it going anymore. Like my last truck, we will spend years picking out and finding the exact right motor-home, and if we do not make any mistakes, then we will probably never change it out before we die. The one issue I can see is we may get one that is too big. But it appears you pretty much have to be at 40' or longer to get anything with decent quality.



One thing that Thor reinforced for us is that quality is critical (and Thor products do not have any). We had that thing for four days and it seemed like everything broke (generator, one ac unit, steps, screen door hinge, hot water heater, water pump system (pump worked but it made water come out of a relief valve in the side of the water heater), the slide required us to place a piece of vinyl for the wheels to roll on so they did not tear up the floor, door and window molding kept coming off on the outside, stereo woudl not work, as you drove there was a loud whistle from the wind that got higher pitched and louder the faster you drove, there was a gap on the passenger side between the floor and side wall that seemed to open up more as you drove faster (maybe the source of the loud whistle)). I knew to expect some problems, but that was shocking. Glad we do not own that one. I am handy, but I do not want to work on fixing things 14 hours a day 7 days a week. I have restored and lived in two 100 plus year old houses and I am done with spending 100% of my free time fixing things. The importance of quality and heavy duty was certainly emphasized for us. But is it worth $100,000? That is a ST of money.
Coldjensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 03:33 AM   #100
Member
 
PorscheLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Have you driven it on bumpy freeways? In Michigan and Illinois the freeways (and roads) are a mess. It is hard to drive a cheap Rv even for two hours. You tense up every time you hit a series of massive potholes and you think you just wrecked the rig. You also think your teeth are about to come out, plus you get nauseous. That is one of the things that made me start turning back to the idea of a prevost rather than an extra $100K spending money. IF all driving is going to be horribly unpleasant, then we will not even want to do this. Of course we were driving cheapest of the cheap (Thor Challenger), so most likely all other motor-homes will be more comfortable to drive.



I guess I will have to find an opportunity to drive a Prevost and a signature on a nasty highway to see what is what.



As for resale, I do not see that as an issue. I expect when we sell our retirement RV, we will be junking it, or selling it for peanuts no matter what we get.I do nto expect it to serve as an investment of any kind, it is a consumable like a car or truck.



I have never sold a car truck or van, we just drive them until they are worthless. We are really picky about getting what we like and then have no desire to change unless it is just not practical to keep it going anymore. Like my last truck, we will spend years picking out and finding the exact right motor-home, and if we do not make any mistakes, then we will probably never change it out before we die. The one issue I can see is we may get one that is too big. But it appears you pretty much have to be at 40' or longer to get anything with decent quality.



One thing that Thor reinforced for us is that quality is critical (and Thor products do not have any). We had that thing for four days and it seemed like everything broke (generator, one ac unit, steps, screen door hinge, hot water heater, water pump system (pump worked but it made water come out of a relief valve in the side of the water heater), the slide required us to place a piece of vinyl for the wheels to roll on so they did not tear up the floor, door and window molding kept coming off on the outside, stereo woudl not work, as you drove there was a loud whistle from the wind that got higher pitched and louder the faster you drove, there was a gap on the passenger side between the floor and side wall that seemed to open up more as you drove faster (maybe the source of the loud whistle)). I knew to expect some problems, but that was shocking. Glad we do not own that one. I am handy, but I do not want to work on fixing things 14 hours a day 7 days a week. I have restored and lived in two 100 plus year old houses and I am done with spending 100% of my free time fixing things. The importance of quality and heavy duty was certainly emphasized for us. But is it worth $100,000? That is a ST of money.
I don’t think I’ve driven it on roads as bad as you describe, however South Carolina highway 26 is pretty bad in areas and with the air ride driver seat the bumps aren’t really an issue. Here is a video discussing how smooth a Prevost drives. https://youtu.be/7wZ0Qz20pgk
__________________
Mark and Diane
2006 Marathon XLII
2011 GMC Acadia Denali, toad
PorscheLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:40 PM   #101
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheLover View Post
I donít think Iíve driven it on roads as bad as you describe, however South Carolina highway 26 is pretty bad in areas and with the air ride driver seat the bumps arenít really an issue. Here is a video discussing how smooth a Prevost drives. https://youtu.be/7wZ0Qz20pgk
Thank you.

It does appear pretty smooth, but it is hard to tell much there. A lot of how smooth a ride appears in a video depends on the person holding the camera and the cameras stabilization system. I think ride is something that just has to be experienced, it is hard to show in video.

That would be called a perfect road to us. It had like 5 bumps and pretty gentle ones at that. When they showed the torn up road, they were filming the outside edge of the shoulder, not the driving surface. I do nto doubt that a Prevost rides better but this video seems like they are just trying to exaggerate things. You really need to personally do back to back drives on the same road to compare how different vehicles ride. I am nto sure there is any other way to make much of a comparison. Now I just need to find two people with High end RVs who will let me drive them on a bumpy road (A Prevost and a Monaco signature). Probably the only shot at that will be a place like PPG in Texas and then only when we are ready to buy one. They are not gong to let us drive them around just to kick the tires. We might have to search a bit to find a terrible road in that part of Texas.

The drivers seat is only a part of the concern. I do not want my wife or other passengers throwing up either, and the bigger issue for me is the battering the coach takes or appears to take on these roads. Things were really clunking and clanging about and it was so loud we could not even talk to each other. It left me so tense I nearly had to stop driving for a while to loosen up. I am hoping that neither a Signature nor a Prevost would be anywhere near that bad.

The guy driving in the video, I have seen several of his videos, He bugs me. He talks out of his behind a lot (like he does here) and exaggerated incessantly. There is no reason a Liberty Conversion would ride any better than a Featherlight, or a Millennium, or other conversion. There might be a small weight difference, but you get small weight differences from the number of people with you, fuel and water tank levels, what you are carrying, etc. A few hundred pounds is not going to make a significant difference in the ride of a 55,0000 pound vehicle. If the Liberty conversion is somehow lighter and rides better, then why did he say that coach weighs 55,000 pounds. Isn't that the high end of weight for a Prevost?

I remember one of this guy's videos where he was going through another Prevost and he kept focusing on items that are standard or that cost about $50 and making a huge deal of them. Zooming in and talking about them constantly. "Oh look at these cameras on the rearview mirrors. Let's show how those work. Those cameras really make this Prevost a stand out coach and lets you see the pure quality advantage you get with Prevost" - uhh the crappy 2012 Thor we rented had those). I wonder if he is doing these things intentionally and trying to be funny or maybe just being a troll. If not then they guy is amazingly under-intelligent. I get a kick out of his videos both because he goes over coaches I want to learn about and because he is such a doofus.

i find it hard to believe that even slides vs no slides makes all that significant a difference in the ride on a Prevost. Conceptually it is possible just like poorly designed convertible sportscars do not handle as well as coupes. But I would hope Prevost or even Monaco signature did not have poor design and engineering when they add slides. Does anyone know whether slides make a huge difference in ride quality at this quality level?

Anyone know of a place where I can test drive a used Prevost and a Monaco signature on a bumpy road? I do not really care where it is, we love road trips.
Coldjensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:51 PM   #102
Senior Member
 
Mr.Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CA and TN
Posts: 2,680
Having owned a 2008 42 ft. Monaco Dynasty four slide (40,039 lbs.) and a 2015 45 ft. Prevost Liberty Coach H3-45 VIP four slide, 1.5 baths (55,500 lbs.), the Prevost is smooth driving coach. Now, when you hit a pothole in any coach including a Prevost, you will feel it and cringe! LOL

Depending on which model you test drive will depend on the tire configuration, a XL might have 315's on all axles. I had Michelin 365's on the front and tag axle and 315's on the drive, so they are large tires!

In a Prevost, the suspension parts are much more robust vs. a Monaco. A Prevost is really made to run several million miles when properly maintained as they are made for the transportation industry.

Since I bought my Liberty Coach new, I did have the lifetime interior warranty. I kept that coach 6.5 yrs. and almost 63,000 miles.

What pushes the Prevost to the top are their service facilities. They are made to get you back on the road! Quick!

Safe travels,
Mark
__________________
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B Sprinter
2017 Lincoln MKX, AWD, 2.7 V6 335 hp twin turbo
(Sold)2015 Prevost Liberty Coach,(Sold)2008 Monaco Dynasty
Mr.Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:37 PM   #103
Member
 
PorscheLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
Having owned a 2008 42 ft. Monaco Dynasty four slide (40,039 lbs.) and a 2015 45 ft. Prevost Liberty Coach H3-45 VIP four slide, 1.5 baths (55,500 lbs.), the Prevost is smooth driving coach. Now, when you hit a pothole in any coach including a Prevost, you will feel it and cringe! LOL

Depending on which model you test drive will depend on the tire configuration, a XL might have 315's on all axles. I had Michelin 365's on the front and tag axle and 315's on the drive, so they are large tires!

In a Prevost, the suspension parts are much more robust vs. a Monaco. A Prevost is really made to run several million miles when properly maintained as they are made for the transportation industry.

Since I bought my Liberty Coach new, I did have the lifetime interior warranty. I kept that coach 6.5 yrs. and almost 63,000 miles.

What pushes the Prevost to the top are their service facilities. They are made to get you back on the road! Quick!

Safe travels,
Mark

My 06 Marathon has 365ís on steers and tags. 315ís on drives I believe.
__________________
Mark and Diane
2006 Marathon XLII
2011 GMC Acadia Denali, toad
PorscheLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:40 PM   #104
Member
 
PorscheLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Thank you.

It does appear pretty smooth, but it is hard to tell much there. A lot of how smooth a ride appears in a video depends on the person holding the camera and the cameras stabilization system. I think ride is something that just has to be experienced, it is hard to show in video.

That would be called a perfect road to us. It had like 5 bumps and pretty gentle ones at that. When they showed the torn up road, they were filming the outside edge of the shoulder, not the driving surface. I do nto doubt that a Prevost rides better but this video seems like they are just trying to exaggerate things. You really need to personally do back to back drives on the same road to compare how different vehicles ride. I am nto sure there is any other way to make much of a comparison. Now I just need to find two people with High end RVs who will let me drive them on a bumpy road (A Prevost and a Monaco signature). Probably the only shot at that will be a place like PPG in Texas and then only when we are ready to buy one. They are not gong to let us drive them around just to kick the tires. We might have to search a bit to find a terrible road in that part of Texas.

The drivers seat is only a part of the concern. I do not want my wife or other passengers throwing up either, and the bigger issue for me is the battering the coach takes or appears to take on these roads. Things were really clunking and clanging about and it was so loud we could not even talk to each other. It left me so tense I nearly had to stop driving for a while to loosen up. I am hoping that neither a Signature nor a Prevost would be anywhere near that bad.

The guy driving in the video, I have seen several of his videos, He bugs me. He talks out of his behind a lot (like he does here) and exaggerated incessantly. There is no reason a Liberty Conversion would ride any better than a Featherlight, or a Millennium, or other conversion. There might be a small weight difference, but you get small weight differences from the number of people with you, fuel and water tank levels, what you are carrying, etc. A few hundred pounds is not going to make a significant difference in the ride of a 55,0000 pound vehicle. If the Liberty conversion is somehow lighter and rides better, then why did he say that coach weighs 55,000 pounds. Isn't that the high end of weight for a Prevost?

I remember one of this guy's videos where he was going through another Prevost and he kept focusing on items that are standard or that cost about $50 and making a huge deal of them. Zooming in and talking about them constantly. "Oh look at these cameras on the rearview mirrors. Let's show how those work. Those cameras really make this Prevost a stand out coach and lets you see the pure quality advantage you get with Prevost" - uhh the crappy 2012 Thor we rented had those). I wonder if he is doing these things intentionally and trying to be funny or maybe just being a troll. If not then they guy is amazingly under-intelligent. I get a kick out of his videos both because he goes over coaches I want to learn about and because he is such a doofus.

i find it hard to believe that even slides vs no slides makes all that significant a difference in the ride on a Prevost. Conceptually it is possible just like poorly designed convertible sportscars do not handle as well as coupes. But I would hope Prevost or even Monaco signature did not have poor design and engineering when they add slides. Does anyone know whether slides make a huge difference in ride quality at this quality level?

Anyone know of a place where I can test drive a used Prevost and a Monaco signature on a bumpy road? I do not really care where it is, we love road trips.
Yea Andrew Steele is a bit of a bloviator/showman. I hear you on your comments about him. As to a few of your questions, I think anything you see on a video or read in a blog like this will be a poor substitute for driving a Prevost and seeing for yourself. If I recall one of your previous posts you are in Texas? If so, make a trip to Marathonís Texas facility. They will allow you to test drive one of their coaches. Just tell them I sent you (Mark Dreyer, coach 943). They are awesome folks and make a killer nice conversion.
__________________
Mark and Diane
2006 Marathon XLII
2011 GMC Acadia Denali, toad
PorscheLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:17 PM   #105
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheLover View Post
Yea Andrew Steele is a bit of a bloviator/showman. I hear you on your comments about him. As to a few of your questions, I think anything you see on a video or read in a blog like this will be a poor substitute for driving a Prevost and seeing for yourself. If I recall one of your previous posts you are in Texas? If so, make a trip to Marathonís Texas facility. They will allow you to test drive one of their coaches. Just tell them I sent you (Mark Dreyer, coach 943). They are awesome folks and make a killer nice conversion.
I do not live in Texas (Michigan), but a lot of my wife's family and one of our sons live there. We are out there twice a year on average. We alsway set aside a day to go "shopping" at the massive used RV yards just south of Fort Worth. One of them is PPG, but there are two others (one is huge). It is a fun day for us. Those places will let you start the MH but not drive it. Maybe if you put down a deposit.



I will try Marathon next time we are out there (probably his fall). Thanks for ht help
Coldjensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:49 AM   #106
Member
 
PorscheLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I do not live in Texas (Michigan), but a lot of my wife's family and one of our sons live there. We are out there twice a year on average. We alsway set aside a day to go "shopping" at the massive used RV yards just south of Fort Worth. One of them is PPG, but there are two others (one is huge). It is a fun day for us. Those places will let you start the MH but not drive it. Maybe if you put down a deposit.



I will try Marathon next time we are out there (probably his fall). Thanks for ht help
If you decide to visit the Mouse House here in Orlando look me up. Iíd be happy to let you test drive my rig.
__________________
Mark and Diane
2006 Marathon XLII
2011 GMC Acadia Denali, toad
PorscheLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:11 AM   #107
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheLover View Post
If you decide to visit the Mouse House here in Orlando look me up. Iíd be happy to let you test drive my rig.
Thank you. I do want to visit Florida as it is one of six states I have not visited. I am not likely to go to Disney, standing in lines is not my cup of tea. However our company does a lot of work in Orlando, so I may be out there for business at some time. That is a very nice offer.
Coldjensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:51 PM   #108
Senior Member
 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 246
Been watching these posts. We are looking at a 2005 Marathon XLII. AIs there anything in particular we should be aware of for this year coach? Should we be looking at a 2006 or 2007? Are there changes between these years that make spending the extra money? We are in Michigan so it is difficult to find Prevost coaches nearby.
__________________
Steve and Teri
2015 Entegra Anthem 44 DLQ
Michigan
soundsuperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:07 AM   #109
Member
 
PorscheLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsuperio View Post
Been watching these posts. We are looking at a 2005 Marathon XLII. AIs there anything in particular we should be aware of for this year coach? Should we be looking at a 2006 or 2007? Are there changes between these years that make spending the extra money? We are in Michigan so it is difficult to find Prevost coaches nearby.
Iím not aware of any issues to be on the lookout for specific to a year coach. Having said that any coach that age will likely have issues that an expert can pick up on an inspection. My coach certainly had some issues. I bought mine from Marathon as a CPO coach, so those issues were worked out during warranty period. I hired Gil Johnson to do an inspection prior to expiration of the warranty and he found a few other issues. Gil is well known in the Prevost community. He does a very thorough inspection for a reasonable fee. You can PM me for his contact info if interested.
__________________
Mark and Diane
2006 Marathon XLII
2011 GMC Acadia Denali, toad
PorscheLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:34 AM   #110
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsuperio View Post
Been watching these posts. We are looking at a 2005 Marathon XLII. AIs there anything in particular we should be aware of for this year coach? Should we be looking at a 2006 or 2007? Are there changes between these years that make spending the extra money? We are in Michigan so it is difficult to find Prevost coaches nearby.

We have been looking at Prevost and Monaco Signatures (and a few others) for several years. Certainly not an expert, but we have learned a few things.


Try Panterra Coach in Holland. Even if they do not have any, they may be helpful in finding one. The may do inspections too (not sure but they obviously would be a good choice for an inspection).

We found some in Texas at some of the big used lots south of Dallas/Ft Worth. Also seems like a lot of them in Florida.

Watch for delamination of the stainless panels. Also watch for problems with the aquhot.

Some brands increased ceiling height in 2006. Not sure if that includes Prevost. That may or may not matter to you.

I woudl look for a pre-Def Detroit Deisel Series 60 engine and an Allison transmission.
Coldjensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
FCO
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prevost :: 0 Prevost Country Coach Hoosier14 iRV2 Owners Registry 0 02-09-2018 03:39 PM
Prevost conversions big jimbo Bus Conversions 31 06-12-2008 08:33 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.