RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:50 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
Russ,

Go to a Wanderlodge group and ask about availability of parts, especially front end parts. Parts obsolescence could be a serious concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Potteng View Post
ImagineIF,
With that whole true also for the later LX, LX1 bluebirds?
I'd imagine many of the 'front end parts' (body or suspension?) would be available from Blue Bird since they still manufacture buses.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2018, 01:27 PM   #16

I think it depends on the size coach you are looking for. We didn't want a big coach again, so Prevost was out of the question. We bought a 36' Wanderlodge. It is perfect for us. The quality is superb. I know people who own Prevost, some like it, some do not. It depends on how well they were maintained by previous owners. I do most of my own repairs and maintenance, but in most cities there are diesel shops that repair Bluebird school buses, so engine and chassis parts are readily available. Any other part I have needed, I was able to find. As far as ride, ours is fantastic. If Prevost made a 35' coach, and if I were looking, I would consider it. I don't think you can go wrong with either, just buy a coach with good maintenance records and documentation. The documentation on the Bluebirds are much better, IMO. They all came with the "blue box", which is complete build sheets and documentation on the coach. I know of no other manufacturer that did that.

lexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
It is a Class 8 truck chassis- parts are available everywhere.

My Bluebirds had the "blue Boxes" so does my Prevost- and a huge
volume from Prevost Car, plus Liberty
Old 08-03-2018, 05:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'd imagine many of the 'front end parts' (body or suspension?) would be available from Blue Bird since they still manufacture buses.
I don't know for sure, but I would not be surprised if the independent front end parts weren't unique to Wanderlodge. Bluebird, like Prevost, probably uses straight axles in their passenger buses.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:22 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
The newer- 2000 and newer Prevosts have IFS
Old 08-03-2018, 08:57 AM   #20

Thanks Ernie. Good info on the Prevost. The Prevost owners I know didn't have the build sheets. Probably lost like so many of the Wanderlodge blue boxes.
lexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:04 PM   #21

good info
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:06 AM   #22

This came with my Country Coach
The wire diagrams are awesome

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #23

I have driven a Newmar with comfort drive and a Prevost, I can tell you that the quality of the Prevost is far superior to the Newmar not only in driving but construction as well. I bought a 1996 Prevost Liberty 45' XL and love it. it is the safest coach out on the road.
Runt1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:13 PM   #24

Bluebirds are not converted school buses. My 88 bares no similarities to school bus other than the name. No school bus came with a 475 hp 8v92 Detroit with an Allison. Nor did school buses have tag axles.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #25

Not many 35 footers made.
http://www.prevostrvforsale.com/tag/1981/
Old 12-16-2019, 10:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R.F. View Post
Both are built on heavy chassis. They my use the same engine.
Prevost sends there chassis to someone else to do the coach built ....Marathon
Blue Bird did all there coach build in house.
Prevost is still being made. Blue Bird got out of the coach businesses around 2009-10
Go to the Wonderlodge Owners Group.... WOG web site and there you will
find a lot of good information. For Prevost you can go to the Prevost Gurus
web site.
I really like my 1989 WB Wanderlodge.
To be clear. Bluebird is alive and well still building buses.

The ride difference between the two can be substantial. Bluebird can be had with full air ride, front spring & rear air or full spring suspension. Mine is all spring and the ride is tolerable but not in the same class as a Prevost.

As to them having the same engines, not really.

Of the hundreds of Bluebirds that I have bid on at auction I have seen ONE with a series 60 Detroit. While that is probably the most common engine in coaches on the road today. In earlier Prevost you will find the DD two strokes. 8v71, 6v92 and 8v92. In Bluebirds you are much more likely to find medium duty engines like: Cummins ISB or ISC, CAT 3116, 3126 or C7. Common on other school bus chassis but not as common in the Bluebirds : Navistar T444e, DT-466 or DT-530.

If my budget allowed, there would be a Prevost in my driveway instead of a Bluebird.

Purchase price and maintenance will be more expensive on a coach will be somewhat more expensive than a medium duty rig like the Bluebird. There are two buses that are kind of "in between". Better than your typical school bus but not quite a Prevost. Those would be the Crown and the Gillig. They could be had with the 671T Detroit or N-11 Cummings.

Good luck with your quest.
Pnw_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Bluebirds are not converted school buses. My 88 bares no similarities to school bus other than the name. No school bus came with a 475 hp 8v92 Detroit with an Allison. Nor did school buses have tag axles.
Wanderlodge was a factory built RV that was built side by side with school buses in the Bluebird factory in Georgia.

They are built on the same chassis and suspension as air ride equipped school buses. They share the same body construction except, the school bus has more structural "bows" than the Wanderlodge.

Most of the Wanderlodge's that I have come across were CAT powered. Mostly 3116, 3126, C7 and 3408. They were available with larger engines as an upgrade. I would love to have an 8v92 in my Bluebird. I miss my two strokes. I know that my 8.3 Cummins is more efficient, has lower emissions and cost less to maintain. There is something about the DD two strokes that gets in your blood.

I think that Bluebird builds solid rigs but the Prevost is in a different class.

Edit: I missed one detail. Some of the Wanderlodge had fiberglass caps instead of steel.
Pnw_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #28

Time to straighten out some of the posts. If anyone is comparing a Prevost to a Bluebird it would not be a skoolie. The early BB's may have been built by the same company but the bodies are not the same. They sent the chassis over to the MH factory and did the finishing as well as installing most of the body. Most of the Skoolies had different engines and most were manual transmissions. Often gasoline powered without air brakes, So let's skip to the 80's. BB made the front engine bus called an FC. It has the classic look. At some point they all had air ride and air brakes. At least the early 80's. They also started to build the PT. This had a 6v92 in the shorter models. Rear Engine. Multi air bags. The 38 ft. and larger had a Detroit 8v92. These were tag axles, They never had the C7 or any of those Cat engines. In 88 or 89 they started making a Wide Body. More modern look. In 96 they all had the S60 Detroit. There were many changes later on including 45 ft. units. Some did have Cat C13. One model used the 400ISL Cummins. I wont get too deep into this. You can go to the vintage bids site and they have a complete history. Prevost as well as most OTR buses also used the 8V92. A great engine with lots of power. That engine is still built for industrial applications as well as marine. A Bluebird is not a conversion. It is a factory motor home. Some Prevost's are home built. Junk. Some were converted by companies that are long gone. Although BB is long gone there is a forum with awesome information. Lots of files and owners who go out of there way to help. Often travelling a hundred miles to help out a stranded owner. Better than factory support.

2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote