Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #1

Question swamp cooler question

we hollowed a 40" school bus.
27 ft is walled for living space. (1296 sq ft.)
we're looking at a "turbokool".
or low profile sears house type 110v

will the "turbokool" cool that much space?

and can it run while driving? and without leaking?

also are the new pads stinky or bad/toxic for my pet birds?

i sure appreciate any help you offer.

thanks !
oddmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2011, 04:41 AM   #2

It all depends upon where you are located and the relative humidity of the air you're trying to exchange. They don't cool the air per se, they add humidity to the air to make it feel cooler than the ambient temperature. Swamp coolers have pros and cons just like anything else would.

You can google "swamp cooler pros cons" and read an endless amount of articles. Here is one I found: SRP: Evaporative coolers
Old 05-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #3

I would think that a forty inch bus would be easy to cool with whatever you want.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmary View Post
we hollowed a 40" school bus.
27 ft is walled for living space. (1296 sq ft.)
we're looking at a "turbokool".
or low profile sears house type 110v

will the "turbokool" cool that much space?

and can it run while driving? and without leaking?

also are the new pads stinky or bad/toxic for my pet birds?

i sure appreciate any help you offer.

thanks !
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Swamp coolers perform better in low humidity climates because it uses evaporation to cool the air. Adding humidity(moisture) to air raises the heat index and making it seem warmer.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #5

Living in NM swamp/evaporative coolers are common on homes due to our low humitity here. They are useless on humid days and on the really hot days when the mercury hits triple digits and you really want to be cooler. The latent heat of evaporation is how they cool, humidity does not allow for good evaporation. In high temps. they just plain struggle, I bought the biggest one I could for my small house, it still stuggles. I do have a small 12V one for RVs that I bought cheap at a garage sale, it works OK in the spring and fall.
Wild birds flock (pun intended) to the one on top of my house for H2O they perch on the side and drink off the pad. Most pads are Aspen shavings, paper or plastic. I no longer have my Macaw, but I can't see anything in the pads that would have harmed him.
I have to think that the H20 will splash as you drive.
Pinz6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #6

Funny, Ed!!

Seriously, your 27' of space is actually closer to 216 square feet (27*8). Anything that professes to cool 300 sq/ft or more will probably do nicely.

We bought an ULTRACOOL model 25 at Home Depot and fitted it to the driver's-side window. It is intended to augment the roof A/Cs, but it does work great!

As mentioned in other posts, for a swamper to work well, humidity must be very low. The lower the better.

Steve
Old 05-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #7

You also must have air leakage - preferably a vent at the top to let the warm air out, but cracking the windows a half-inch will do. If the air is not moving around you it won't seem cool for long.

Without a vent open expect a lot of whistle - swamp coolers move several times more air than a refrigerated system.

Old VWs had a factory swamp cooler that fit on the window. It looked like a big torpedo hung out in the breeze.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With a Swamp Cooler a lot of answers start with "Depends"

I have a bedrom about 10 by 15 I'd guess in this motor home and I used a swamp coolor in it when I was in Arizona and it made about a 10 degree difference.

However the humidity there was so low I had to use saline nasel spray due to dry nose condition. Kind of painful w/o the spray.. not a problem with.

I pumped over five gallons a day of water into this small room with that cooler.

(And more with a "Cool mist" type vaporizer and still had dry nose)

However in Michigan, where the humidity is usually measureable by my meter (it don't like less than 20something percent) they basically do not do well.

Right now it's 38% where I"m parked, and I'd not expect it to cool well at all.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #9

They stop working @ ~ 25% RH.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #10

thanks to all for the input. we went ahead n bought a turbokool. i'll let ya know how things turn out.
oddmary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, leaky, toxic, turbokool