Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #1

Smile To Buy or Not to buy a 1981 MCI Bus Conversion RV

After researching and budget analyzing, we are considering a 1981 MCI Bus that has been converted to a RV years ago and needs TLC. Being owners of every other kind of RV we'd like to venture down the road of buses.
We are not afraid of tackling the inside but am wondering about the engine and other issues that will be costly. The owner says it has 70% tread on tires and engine and trany runs strong no problems. He even sent a video on the sound of the engine and a complete walk around. They are asking $5,000. I did notice a bit of rust on ceiling so there might be issues with corrosion on top. Not sure if this is a quick fix or something that will be very costly. Just curious is anyone has bought one of these old timers and any thought about them. What do you think of the cost of $5,000? Thank you!!
Wanderer1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #2

I like converted buses, if done right there better build then most motorhomes, there's another web site that is just for MCI buses, might get some better info
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #3

Can you post the video and pics
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #4

My MCI is 1978 with 8V71 two stroke diesel coupled to a four speed crash box.

They are definitely an acquired taste. You need to be willing to tackle heavy vehicle servicing yourself OR have pretty fat wallets - or both

Bus Topics ( click here for quick start! ) will get you some very biased opinions as well as plenty of horror stories as well

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/mci-bus-nuts/ is for MVIs but isn't very active nowadays
Old 02-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It's my opinion that to own any substantial motorhome you either need to be very mechanical and enjoy fixing and improving or be in a position to spend significant money to do the needed work. I have never owned a bus but I have many friends that have them. To me most buses, especially one of that vintage increases the points I made above a bunch. Personally I could see myself enjoying it but I have always been into cars and restored many. Even doing the work yourself you will need a healthy budget to gets things the way you want them and to be able to trust the mechanicals (as much as they can be trusted &#128522. Just one quick example, you mention that the tires evidently have a lot of tread life left but do you know the age? If it has lived outside and they are 7 or more years old then they will need to be replaced. Cost for new tires will be $3000 or more. If it were me and I was considering this I would be prepared to invest multiple times the purchase price to get it to a level I would be comfortable with but that's just me.

Good luck if you go for it.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #6

In 1981 is a MC-9 model which is fine. You have to obviously check for corrosion which if it’s in the body then yes it could be an issue because you’ll have to pull off the sheeting and then get down to the bare metal but usually they’re pretty solid the other thing to check is the floor to make sure that the wood is not rotted out. Check the air beams make sure that it holds air because of the air beams are out and you can have to weld them and you lose the little bit of the air suspension. They are adorable they will run forever but they do require maintenance. If you’re good mechanically then in 1981 is a MC-9 model which is fine. You have to obviously check for corrosion which if it’s in the body then yes it could be an issue because you’ll have to pull off the sheeting and then get down to the bare metal but usually they’re pretty solid the other thing to check is the floor to make sure that the wood is not rotted out. Check the air beams make sure that it holds air because of the air beams are out and you can have to weld them and you’ll lose the little bit of the air suspension. They are adorable they will run forever but they do require maintenance. If you’re good mechanically then You should be fine. But just remember you are going to have to invest time and money and a lot of TLC in them. But when she get it running right there’s nothing like it. Running from coast to coast with the coach bus is so easy.
miowname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:20 PM   #7

Rv

Have the bus inspected it is worth the 400.oo bucks then you will probably end up putting 10 times the price in it but they run forever. 1981 8v71 or 8v92 dont remember when they went to the bigger motor. Nothing wrong with either just the 8v71 engine is way cheaper to buy, if you ever need one.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #8

Watch youtube videos of bus grease monkey. If that makes you squeamish then it might not be the right choice for you.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #9

I love my Mci-8/9 1979 model bought from a fella out of bay St lewis Ms years ago I came from a Iowa farm family so diesels never scared me and it came with a complete set of maint. record/manuals.MAINT. IS THE KEY!! you can't be scared to get a bit of grease under your fingernails but it should give you miles of enjoyment too!! this is my 2ed coach the first one was a ark razorbacks football bus 30 yrs ago single rear axle with I believe a 501 Int. harvester gasser for power.I love the 8v71 it has given me great service wish you the best of luck!! its already "blessed" being a gospel groups former bus!!!
Rickmci-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #10

Lots of busses setting out back or in lots because the owners dont have the resources to FIX them.

I have always loved buses.

But I always had to analyze my budget ?

So the bus, even if given to me free.
Became such a liability that to have it the way I wanted it.

I never thought I could afford the Liability.

As suggested
Watch as many greese monkey videos as you can.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #11

I own a 1978 MC-8 and it was kind of a basket case but the potential was there. After going through the brakes, air bag suspension and a clutch it is a very sturdy and serviceable bus that isn't made of fiber glass and plastic. Best part is no computers to deal with. Once you go through the major systems, verify and repair as needed you can't beat them.
rmiddletom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:59 AM   #12

love Bus Grease Monkey!!!
WinnebagoSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:29 PM   #13

Some of the MCI models were prone to rust in the structural members. Bang the walls and listen for rust falling. Read about how to inspect one of these thoroughly - if rust is too serious it may not be worth repairing. Get a good bus and they can be a joyous thing, but get a true basket case and you end up with an expensive mess on your hands.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
My MCI is 1978 with 8V71 two stroke diesel coupled to a four speed crash box.

They are definitely an acquired taste. You need to be willing to tackle heavy vehicle servicing yourself OR have pretty fat wallets - or both

Bus Topics ( click here for quick start! ) will get you some very biased opinions as well as plenty of horror stories as well

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/mci-bus-nuts/ is for MVIs but isn't very active nowadays
I converted my first bus (Eagle model 10) in the mid 90's. I looked at MCI and Prevost as well and had the opportunity to drive some with the 8v71 and Spicer
4 speed . You may be a little more tolerant than I am. If I was seriously looking at a Spicer equipped bus, I would want to be sure that there was money in the budget for a transmission swap. I did see one at a Bus Nuts rally that they had swapped a 10 speed overdrive Road Ranger. My Eagle came from the factory with the spider and was converted to an HT-740 Allison.
Pnw_steve is offline   Reply With Quote