Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:45 AM   #15

AZgl1500, yes the maintenance costs will likely be somewhat less on a t/c. The bigger factors are the safety for me, and towing ability. Having that engine out front is huge in a front end accident. Also having the bailout doors for both driver and passenger add safety. The brakes are huge on these things too. I like the looks of those Powerhouse Coach trucks. I've never seen one in person. I wouldn't limit your search to them tho. There are lots of other builders, and dealers. One good place to look for rigs is www.racingjunk.com. Scroll down the catagories and there is a section for "totorhomes/rv's/motorhomes" then you can find the class 8 truck conversions. www.busesandmore.com also has a handfull of t/c's. www.hawkengineering.com is a high quality builder. www.eldoradotrailersales.com has lots of nice t/c's. There is a forum site that caters exclusively to t/c's: www.truckconversion.net .

There is also a group of people that use class 8 trucks to pull their 5th wheel campers. They have a rally every year that draws a pretty good crowd. www.hdtrally.com We went this past Oct. and had a great time.

Good luck.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #16

For those of you with the larger T/C coaches and the extra long MHs....

A friend of mine called me today saying that finding parks to stay in is more limited than with say a 32 ft TT.

His particular point was that he likes to stay in state park campgrounds dry camping, or sometimes they have electric only. A close friend of his had a 52 ft T/C and was disenchanted that he could not stay in the state and federal parks with it. Sold it and bought a 32 ft 5th whl.

Is this more a matter of your RV lifestyle rather than a real implied problem?

AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:07 AM   #17

The bigger you go the less spaces it will fit. My t/c is only 36' bumper to bumper so it's smaller than most. Dry camping (or boondocking) I think is better in a t/c than a A or C. My t/c carries 200 gallons of fresh water. Not many A's or C's or t.t.'s that you'll find with 200 gallons of fresh water. My 8k Onan diesel generator burns about 1/2 gallon an hour under moderate load. And I carry 120 gallons of fuel. But yes, some parks don't have sites for a 40' rig. But it wouldn't matter what chassis it is, they don't care. But there are some fancy parks that only allow A's.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:24 AM   #18

Thanks for that. 200 gallons fresh water? That ought to do dry camping for a full weekend and more w/o cramping her style tooooo much

This has widened my search parameters quite a bit. I am sure beginning to see why so many have advised to do the "due diligence" for an extended time. I am more convinced than ever that buying the first thing that catches your fancy could prove to be a huge mistake.
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #19

If you live anywhere near a race track you should make a visit there during a race. You'll see lots of t/c's at just about any track. I just walk around and talk to guys about their trucks. It's fun. Unless they're tense about their races or something.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #20

Bob, I see what you mean about finding them on racingjunk.com. 2003 Kingsley Coach Custom RV Toy Hauler For Sale
I can only dream of this one.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #21

Don't dream, do! Hahahahaha. That's a nice Kingsley for sure. I've seen it in person. Here's the web site for that sales place: www.busesandmore.com then click on "rv's." Ralph, the owner, is the founder of Kingsley Coach. They no longer build t/c's. Economy killed them. But he's still selling them. He's got lots of nice coaches available. You fly to MN. I live about 10 minutes from MSP airport. I'll pick you up and we'll drive up to Ralph's lot and you can check out all the t/c's he's got. Make the deal and drive one home. I have no horse in this race. I just think Ralph is a nice straight up guy and sells good trucks. I was very close to buying that Showhauler T2000 he's got on consignment but couldn't get the deal closed with the seller. An inside tip (don't tell Ralph) those prices are "asking" prices. Money talks.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:03 AM   #22

The T/C's have always been interesting to me as well. I have talked to severial builders that will put a coach on your truck and there are a LOT of used class 7-8 tractors out there for cheap. But as nice as they can be, unless you need to haul a big load they can't compare to a highline D/P. Issues like ride quality, noise, camp ground issues, fuel mileage, storage, and most T/C's have about 8 big steps to get in and out. If you use it as an RV thats about 5k miles per year. But lifes all about what you want.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:44 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What does D/P stand for ?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Diesel Pusher - a conventional Class A motorhome.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeane View Post
The T/C's have always been interesting to me as well. I have talked to severial builders that will put a coach on your truck and there are a LOT of used class 7-8 tractors out there for cheap. But as nice as they can be, unless you need to haul a big load they can't compare to a highline D/P. Issues like ride quality, noise, camp ground issues, fuel mileage, storage, and most T/C's have about 8 big steps to get in and out. If you use it as an RV thats about 5k miles per year. But lifes all about what you want.
I'd say there's as many advantages as disadvantages to converting a Class8 truck.

Noise is relative depending on where you are. Up front? it's noisier going down the road. In the back, it's quieter.
Ride quality - Some people get nauseous with the cadillac ride and prefer a firmer ride. My wife is one.
Water Capacity - most T/C's have tanks much bigger than an A.
Performance - T/C's typically have more power at the wheels, even for the same engine rating, but they do typically weigh more.
Maintenance - You can get a T/C fixed at any truck shop, at TRUCK rates, not the inflated RV rates.
Floorplan flexibility - Hardly any Class A's have the ability to have a garage in the back, if you need/want that.
Looks - subjective, but a nice T/C looks just mean. I'm younger, so it means more to me.
Crash Safety - T/C, hands down.
Interior Room - Class A's have it here.
Storage - Class A's have it here too.
Braking - Basically all Class 8's will have engine brakes, Many D/P's only have exhaust brakes.

etc., etc.