Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlingiii View Post
Like I said before, I'm trying to check out threads that pertain to the m2, because most of them are not reg as a MH, and it seems they get flooded with posts from folks with hdt's as MH, and there is little relevant discussion, even on the mdt forums. Is there anyone out there with an m2 106? I suppose I should start an m2 106 thread.
Having owned 3 Sportchassis, 1 being an FL 60, and the other 2 being M2 106s, if I remember correctly, they were titled as private or personal vehicles,...and that was in the state of Az and Tx. They all had the same rating GVW 19k and the gcwr was 35k. Hydraulic brakes, so no air endorsement was needed. The sad part about the whole deal, is not all of the government employees are on the same page. Only reason I know is because when I got my CDL 4 yrs and ago, and then recently when I was trying to get it renewed,...you call 2 different DMVs, and you're gonna get 2 different answers. I hope that helped a little bit.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetRVer View Post
Two rules of thumb if you go over there.

1. Don't ask any question that can be answered by the Resource Guide.
2. There is nothing that is not covered by the Resource Guide.
Unless things have changed drastically at the escapees forum, the majority of participants are very cordial and not nearly as snarky as the above post suggests. There is a tremendous amount of experience and information available, and a lot of work went into making it accessible with the creation of the resource guide. That guide was created to be an asset to those that need information, not to replace the conversations that prevail in such a friendly forum.

Many "frequently asked questions" are referred to the guide for simplicity... if something has been asked a hundred times, you'll likely find very thorough answers there, rather than wait on someone to reply to your post. I'll admit that I haven't participated much in either forum in the last two years, perhaps those that currently dominate the conversations aren't as willing to assist "newbies" as the older members were. These forums were intended for discussions, not as an index for recorded information. JMHO, of course...
Jess
HD_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Unless things have changed drastically at the escapees forum, the majority of participants are very cordial and not nearly as snarky as the above post suggests.
Unfortunately they have very slowly over the past 5 years. Lot of people are more interested in telling someone to go look it up than actually having a conversation with them. Unless the person asking the question is a newbie, then they will tolerate a few questions before telling them to go look it up.

I've been running forums for many years. Problem with looking something up using the search function is that you have to use the same wording the person who wrote it did. Example: A pipe wrench is also known as a monkey wrench. What happens if you are searching for a monkey wrench? You get pages of anything that mentions a wrench.

Quote:
These forums were intended for discussions, not as an index for recorded information.
Precisely, which is why I am now spending most of my time here now.
VetRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #32

Since my earlier response, I caught up on a couple other threads over there, and I have to say that I don't like what I'm seeing. Perhaps this is a natural progression of such things, your experience in this far outweighs mine as I've only participated in a few of these, and only as a contributor. You used to get the feeling that you were all sitting around the campfire, sharing stories and knowledge. Now it feels more like walking into a bar where someone's looking for a fight.

When I called your comment "snarky", I didn't realize that you were one of those that were of the "older class" over there, the name change led me to believe that you might have been someone that had a single bad experience there, and my first instinct was to jump in defense of what I had remembered. I apologize for not doing my research before I made my post. When my wife came down with pancreatic cancer nearly two years ago, I had little time for the forums. After her death, I had no desire to read about the adventures of others, for they just seemed to remind me of dreams now lost. I know it's all a part of life, and I am trying to get back on track with those things that I've enjoyed in the past. The first time back on the forum, everything had changed, from the appearance to the content. Gone were many of the familiar names, and along with them their friendly bantering. I've had trouble looking up some of the simplest things that I know were discussed ad-nauseum. Your reference to the monkey wrench search is appropriate. I'll still check in there on occasion, but I think I'll be spending a lot more time here as well. I hope that as a relative "newbie" here, I haven't got off on the wrong foot....
Jess
Old 08-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #33

Jess,

Welcome to the club/gang. I changed my name to VetRVer because it more appropriately expresses my primary interest and passion, helping Veterans.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #34

I do not find the nature of the Escapees forum has changed. I do find that there are some "newer" posters that seem to have an agenda and like to provoke others. In many forums they would be called trolls. If I ran the forum I would ban some of them. But that is a good reason why I do NOT have a role in running the forums

As to the Resource Guide - a lot of work has been put into that to collect detailed information. However, many newbies do not even know it exists (really, how would they). I think a reference to it is appropriate. It may not take the place of discussions on the forum, but it is a valuable resource to point people to.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Mayer View Post
I do not find the nature of the Escapees forum has changed. I do find that there are some "newer" posters that seem to have an agenda and like to provoke others. In many forums they would be called trolls. If I ran the forum I would ban some of them. But that is a good reason why I do NOT have a role in running the forums
I would certainly agree with that. The root of the problem over there isn't that the nature of the forum has changed. It hasn't. But the moderation philosophy has, and not for the better. That's the reason that some of the people that should still be there aren't, some that shouldn't be there are, and why others that used to be regular participants and valuable contributors either don't say much any more -- or don't bother to come around. And that, in a nutshell, is why it "feels" so different from what it used to be, in my opinion.
Phil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #36

In my experience on various types of forums and opinion based on that experience there are typically two primary types of reply to a post, whether the originator of the thread is a newbie or an old timer makes no difference.

Helpful:
Here's how to do what it is that you want to do. Here's a link to a more detailed explanation which you may find useful. or Here's my point of view on that idea based on my experience of x y z. etc

Not Helpful:
Go look it up. Use the search function. You're way off base (with no supporting reasoning other than "that's how its always been done".) That issue is covered in the Resource Guide or abc's web site. That's been discussed a million times.

My issues are not with the Escapees forum in general, rather the temperament of the HDT forum in the past couple of years. I'm not in there every day so small changes are more apparent than they might be for someone that is in the forum regularly.

Its important to keep in mind that even those that have been around for years may have a question refreshed in their mind that they have had recently and forgotten or came up with a new solution to and forgot to mention it.

Courtesy never goes out of fashion.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #37

My apologies to the original poster of the thread, didn't intend to hijack it... perhaps those that may be following the original subject will discover there is a wealth of information available from both forums, as many that contributed so much there are now signing on here as well. Still a few that seem to have disappeared,though. Perhaps they'll turn up as well.
Jess
Old 08-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #38

If I thought it would be useful I'd host my own forum. But there are enough as there is....

At least if I had my own I could better control the nature of the posts and there would not be the "baiting" that I see going on at the present time.

I mostly no longer reply to many topics....If I think I have something to say that has not already been stated, AND if the thread is civil, I might post. But not so much as in the past. Not worth it....you might find it hard to believe, but since I expose my email I get quite a bit of flaming mail. No matter the topic or my response. Makes you wonder if people really have a life....