Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Day cab?

So we are looking to move from our Dp to a 43' fiver, and I am finding that a pick up is more costly, worse fuel economy, and more stressful to tow with than a capable truck. I noticed there are a lot of day cabs that are already singled. I like the freightliner Columbia, I can find a hundreds for a really reasonable price. The wife and kids follow in another vehicle so I don't see why that wouldn't work for me, I will also be using it for my day to day so I don't want a sleeper. Is there anything I am over looking to convert this? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Erlingiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #2

Performance wise and utility wise factory single day cab will not be any different for RV pulling than anything (HDT wise) else. The reason why HDT used for RVing are predominantly sleepers is the idea that once you get into something "that big" it doesn't matter anymore "how big" and with a sleeper you get the bunks, you get the extra storage, you get the fridge, microwave, porta potty, sink, etc., etc.
The only concern I would have that in order to register it as anything other than a commercial vehicle (read expensive) you have to have "other things in it" (like the fridge, porta potty, microwave, shore power, water) to qualify the HDT for a "motorhome status" and registration. Hard to pack those and show those in a day cab. This requirement varies from state to state and in some states it's difficult if not impossible to do it, but there are "other options".

hjs
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are mn residents, so far all I could find about registration as an rv, is that it can be done. If anyone can point me in the right direction to get a more thorough description for mn requirements that would be very helpful. Thanks I appreciate everyone's input.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #4

You might want to get on this forum or look at info in their Resource Guide.
HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum
Lots of info there to your question.

hjs
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlingiii View Post
We are mn residents, so far all I could find about registration as an rv, is that it can be done. If anyone can point me in the right direction to get a more thorough description for mn requirements that would be very helpful. Thanks I appreciate everyone's input.
I bought my truck from a guy who lived in Minnesota but also had a place in Wisconsin. Minnesota changed their rules after he was already registered as an RV and refused to renew it. He transferred it to Wisconsin and was ok when I purchased the truck. Not sure what happened, it was almost 4 years ago now. He used to participate on the Escapees Forum but hasn't much since he sold the truck. He did have another Volvo at the time singled short but I haven't checked on it for a while.

Rod

ps, day cabs are quite small compared to a pickup or a truck with a sleeper.
lappir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lappir

I bought my truck from a guy who lived in Minnesota but also had a place in Wisconsin. Minnesota changed their rules after he was already registered as an RV and refused to renew it. He transferred it to Wisconsin and was ok when I purchased the truck. Not sure what happened, it was almost 4 years ago now. He used to participate on the Escapees Forum but hasn't much since he sold the truck. He did have another Volvo at the time singled short but I haven't checked on it for a while.

Rod

ps, day cabs are quite small compared to a pickup or a truck with a sleeper.
True they are smaller, but I would be the only person ever riding in it, and I plan to use it bob tail to get to and from work every day. So I really like the idea of a small hdt
Old 07-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My other Question, how are some folks registering their vehicles in states other than the state of their residence?
Old 07-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlingiii View Post
My other Question, how are some folks registering their vehicles in states other than the state of their residence?
If registering personally, it has to be registered either in the owner's state of domicile or in the state in which it's principally garaged, if that's not the owner's domicile state, to be legal.

Some have gone the Montana LLC route, but some states are now aggressively contesting the legitimacy of those registrations.
Phil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #9

[QUOTE=Erlingiii;1662022] I plan to use it bob tail to get to and from work every day. /QUOTE]

That might cause a problem with insurance unless insured commercial.
wenomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After speaking with the mn DMV, they are telling me that even if I make the changes to the vehicle, and do a declaration of the changes it will change the registered towing capacity and gvw but will still remain a commercial vehicle subject to a cdl. I don't know if I spoke with the right person but it sounds like mn isn't playing the game.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As far as the commercial insurance, don't most people use their hdt for daily use while camping? I wouldn't be any different than driving a Winnebago to and from work every day, I'm not using it for business I'm using it to get to the place I do business. If that we're the case we would all need to have commercial insurance on our cars and trucks that we use to get to work, right? I'm asking cause I don't know. I sure would like to use an hdt, but it seems awfully difficult to make happen. As much as I don't want to, I may end up with an m2, I really wanted that 9 speed.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As far as mn is concerned, once a commercial vehicle, always a commercial vehicle. That goes for medium duty trucks as well. My solution is I'm currently in ok, they will title and register anyone's vehicle regardless of your address, as long as you have Oklahoma insurance. They will title and register it as a private truck, then if I choose I can transfer that to mn down the line. What have people done about gvw? A private truck with 32,000 gvw requires a different license not to mention an air endorsement. Can you register them at a lower gvw as long as you don't load the vehicle over say the 26,000 limit on my mn class d license? I will still need an air endorsement, unless its a motorhome, but I'm going with a day can so that won't happen.
Thanks guys
Old 07-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok new update, if I re title the truck with 16000 gvw I still have a 7000 payload available, which in a day cab I'm not going to go over, and the tongue weight is going to be well under 5000. This allows me to still legally pull a 10000 trailer that is not an rv. Now all I have to do is decide if I'm going with a well powered m2 with a 9speed or a Columbia. I appreciate all your imput.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsdds View Post
You might want to get on this forum or look at info in their Resource Guide.
HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum
Lots of info there to your question.

hjs
Two rules of thumb if you go over there.

1. Don't ask any question that can be answered by the Resource Guide.
2. There is nothing that is not covered by the Resource Guide.
VetRVer is offline   Reply With Quote