RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
In the past few months Texas has reduced the number of test sites considerably. Here is a link for the DPS website called Tx DPS - CDL-Exempt Vehicles Test Sites. I took mine in Marble Falls a few years ago, but they are no longer on the list.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, M&G 2.0 Proportional Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2016, 07:03 AM   #72

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
I took my Class A Exempt (common name for non-CDL Class A) in 2012 in Granbury. Small office, but not as small a Cleburne. The route was through town and a small stretch of highway. I almost flunked the exam because I came real close to jumping the curb during a tight right hand turn. The two biggest requirements is to back the trailer straight and to parallel park the trailer in a designated space. Don't forget to turn on your emergency flashers when backing and turn them off when done.

If you ask a number of professional truck drivers when they last parallel parked their trailer, most will say when they took their CDL Class A drivers test.

P.S. For anyone reading this post. Not all DPS Troopers and DPS Drivers License office personnel know about Class A and B Exempt requirements for RV's and Motorhomes. I was told by clerks and DPS Troopers in multiple offices that I did not need any special license. I called the DPS office in Austin and talked to a person of authority who confirmed the Class A and B Exempt requirements for RV's and Motorhomes.
Thank you! My husband and I both think parallel parking a trailer is ridiculous! Łike you said, you'll never do it again. I was thinking of going and taking a class in Grand Prairie. My husband's PD has a driving course I can practice on but I think his instructing style & my leaning style may result in tears. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #73

The best way to get comfortable with backing is practice, practice, practice. If yo have a large parking lot that is empty then you can spend a lot of time doing different maneuvers in preparation for your test.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:17 PM   #74

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMTurner74 View Post
Thank you! My husband and I both think parallel parking a trailer is ridiculous! Łike you said, you'll never do it again. I was thinking of going and taking a class in Grand Prairie. My husband's PD has a driving course I can practice on but I think his instructing style & my leaning style may result in tears. Thanks for the info!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
The best way to get comfortable with backing is practice, practice, practice. If yo have a large parking lot that is empty then you can spend a lot of time doing different maneuvers in preparation for your test.
Taking a class is good. I had previous experience so I had no problem with the test. But I did do a lot of practice just driving and turning. For backing and parallel parking, I got permission from a car dealership in Granbury to practice in the open part of their lot. I set up cones to simulate the parking space and used the long painted stripe of the parking spaces to simulate the curb. I practiced until I could do it several times without touching the simulated curb and going past the cones. I got a great place to practice and the people in the dealership got two dozen donuts and a show watching a guy in a F450 and 36' 5th wheel going around and around trying to parallel park a RV.

Once you have passed the written test, you can get a learners permit that allows you to drive the rig as long as there is a licensed driver rated for the same class or higher in the passenger seat.

One note about the parallel parking test. It is better not to back into the parking space too deep. It is better to be a foot or two away from the curb. You will lose some points, but if you hit the curb at anytime during the maneuver, it is an automatic fail. If you do good on the rest of the test, you can still pass the test if you stick out in the street a little.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:53 AM   #75

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
Taking a class is good. I had previous experience so I had no problem with the test. But I did do a lot of practice just driving and turning. For backing and parallel parking, I got permission from a car dealership in Granbury to practice in the open part of their lot. I set up cones to simulate the parking space and used the long painted stripe of the parking spaces to simulate the curb. I practiced until I could do it several times without touching the simulated curb and going past the cones. I got a great place to practice and the people in the dealership got two dozen donuts and a show watching a guy in a F450 and 36' 5th wheel going around and around trying to parallel park a RV.

Once you have passed the written test, you can get a learners permit that allows you to drive the rig as long as there is a licensed driver rated for the same class or higher in the passenger seat.

One note about the parallel parking test. It is better not to back into the parking space too deep. It is better to be a foot or two away from the curb. You will lose some points, but if you hit the curb at anytime during the maneuver, it is an automatic fail. If you do good on the rest of the test, you can still pass the test if you stick out in the street a little.
This is great info! Thanks. Fortunately I do have a huge lot to practice in. My husband works for a PD and they have a driving course. I will definitely follow your advice. He has a really good buddy at DPS. Maybe he'll do a mock test with me.

I've pulled the trailer once when my husband broke his ankle in 3 places. I pulled it through Dallas (just a tad under the posted speed limit) . It was a 23 ft hybrid but we now have a 36 ft TT & are moving to a 42 ft 5th wheel. I need to get it done with the TT which my husband says tracks better than the hybrid.

Again, thank you.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:48 AM   #76

Drivers License

Many states only require a regular class d Car operators listener. No test no permit, nothing. Just get in and drive.

Tags
driver