Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2020, 12:06 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 1
HDT registration

Hi, new to the forum but full time RVíers!

Looking into an HDT. We have found a 359 Peterbilt that is local to us and I have a few registration questions.

Who runs an HDT, Class 7 or 8, and has registered for personal use? Iím not talking about converting as an RV, but private use truck registration here in Texas.

Can I simply register it on regular tags at the DMV and go about my business? Private not for hire shouldnít come under any CDL regs in my understanding.
I have a Class A CDL with med certificate anyway so Iím good to drive it and tow the camper.

The truck is single axle and already has an Rv 5th wheel hitch in place of a commercial hitch, and for us, itís ready to go. It is purely registration and insurance that has me in a gray area. Everything Iíve read makes it sound simple, and some information is so conflicting.

Thanks in advance for any help
Jme1990je is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free! RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2020, 12:12 PM   #2
Senior Member
Dale & Mark Bruss's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,670
A lot of answers at
Dale & Mark Bruss
13 Years Full-Timing Now with a 2016 Bounder 33C
40' Travel Supreme winter residence
Lots of RV Information at
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
Senior Member
glennwest's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,544
How is it registered now? I would just transfer registration. You can insure it for private use. Insurance company doesn't care how it's registered.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
Senior Member
2upServant's Avatar

Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 146
I have a single axle frieghtliner sport chassis, it is registered as a heavy duty pickup class 5. that keeps my weight limits good for pulling. I have a class a CDL exempt which is all that is required in Texas. Look at your Gross gvwr and figure out if you are over 26,001 pounds. I also carry commercial insurance on the truck itself, makes it about the same as the 1-ton pick up I had. Air brakes will require one of the CDL on your license. but it sounds like your covered unless your wife is driving. also check your insurance coverage to make sure you are covered for the wieght. Some insurance companies will fail to pay a claim if you weigh more than the limits of your insurance , or are over gross weight limits. States are getting more particular with trucks and fifth wheel RV registrations. Enjoy the 359 Peterbuilt does have a narrow cab. make sure you can pull the hood up to check engine compartment.
We are servants unto Christ, using our motorcycles as a tool to reach out to everyone.
2upServant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:00 PM   #5
Senior Member
L.C.Gray's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas
Posts: 610
Originally Posted by 2upServant View Post
Air brakes will require one of the CDL on your license.
Air Brakes do not require a CDL.

If you show up in a vehicle to test out for a class A or B regardless of commercial or not and the test vehicle is not equipped with air brakes you will be given an air brake restriction on your A or B license that will not allow you to operate an air brake equipped vehicle.
"Cracker Box" 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 33DS on a Chevrolet C5500 Kodiak
"Yellow Hammer" 1982 Jeep CJ5 V-8 4x4 Tow'd
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:57 AM   #6
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1
In Texas you can register HDT as a Private Coach. Also is South Dakota you can register HDT as a Motorhome if it has a Refer, Bed, Micrcowave, and Portapotty.
Rob Woz is offline   Reply With Quote

« HDT batteries | - »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HDT registration and SW Ontario RV park recommends JWills Canada Region 8 07-19-2009 09:52 PM
Chat room for MDT and HDT Kevin Moore HDT Conversions 1 11-14-2007 05:25 PM
Back up lites on your HDT Kevin Moore HDT Conversions 4 09-13-2007 06:14 AM
Any Wantabees Thinking of moving to an HDT ? Toterman (David) HDT Conversions 14 09-07-2007 10:03 AM
New HDT/MDT Forum Leader rebelsbeach HDT Conversions 18 09-06-2007 06:53 PM

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.