Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #1

HDT with four doors

Looking into possibility of purchasing a hdt and have a family of five and was wondering if any one has converted their truck into a crew cab or have only turned sleeper into a seat and added windows? Any information would be great. Also what brand of truck do people find best for converting?
jcarpenter08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #2

There are many up-fitters out there that would be happy to take your money...like this Welcome to 2L CUSTOM TRUCKS - Drive It Like You Stole It! - Poolville, Texas, USA

Good Luck
Gemstone
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #3

I know a guy that has four kids (I think about age 2-10?) and wife. They are full time rv'ers. They use a Freightliner Columbia hdt to pull their 5th wheel. They put in a sofa with seat belts for the kids. I don't think it would be worth it to add rear doors to a sleeper. Windows back there would certainly be nice. It's not that hard to get to the sleeper from the right front door anyway.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #4

The only HDT(like) truck that can be described as a CrewCab (4 door) HDT out there is made by Freightliner. M2 112 Truck Specifications - Freightliner Trucks
It's built on an a large MDT chassis and can be had with a 12 liter either Mercedes or Detroit Diesel engine. It's a pricey truck and 2L sells them converted to pullers. These conversions have been around for few years and you might find a used one for considerably less with hardly any miles on them.

hjs
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #5

Here's an example of an HDT with "three" doors.https://picasaweb.google.com/1015864...miahWonderDoor
The third door was installed in the back of the cab and is accessed from a small deck installed behind the cab.

hjs
Old 04-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #6

I have been thinking about getting a 53' fifth wheel built for us and I would need a semi to pull it and there is 5 of us so I was looking at a Kenworth W900 certain ones have a sleeper with a sofa that folds down to a bed and windows on each side. For the money that's the way I think I am going to go because I am wanting at least 500hp pre-emissions also.

Here one I saw last night I liked, Kenworth W900
life2short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #7

Are you thinking about one of 53 foot units from SpaceCraft?

hjs
Old 04-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsdds View Post
Are you thinking about one of 53 foot units from SpaceCraft?

hjs
I have been to Spacecraft factory and looked at them, them are built solid but to plain for us, I am debating between a Continental Coach, or a Marathon, I want my cake and eat it to, since we are fulltimers.

This video has me real interested in a ,
Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #9

Life2short, "we are certainly into different realm of RVing" with these rigs. I'm sure you looked into the details and requirements, but here's some "suggestions".
You are right, with the lengths, weights and sizes of any of these models anything other than HDT pulling them will be a dog. I would not necessarily be avoiding newer truck to get a pre-emmision truck. The trucking industry has been living with these trucks for years and the engine manufacturers had to get it right or get out of the truck powering business (Caterpillar threw in the towel rather than solve the problem), Cummins has frequently been "ahead of the EPA schedule". It depends who you buy the truck from, or who "preps it" for sale. I would strongly suggest that you have a "discussion" about your HDT truck with these folks RV Haulers | RV Haulers
they will deliver to you a "used" truck of the highest quality that has been completely refurbished to like new condition.
It is my understanding that in the low to middle 40's you might be able to "get away with RV pulling" them, whereas the 50-53 footers are typically pulled with hard commercial hitches by folks with CDLs, I'd look into that.
I'd might have few other "suggestions" in private conversations or via email, I know Marsha and Greg personally.

hjs
Old 04-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #10

I will message you my email, for other suggestions, I love all I can get.

I was thinking pre-emissions, strictly because of price, because of California's law coming into effect in 2014 the prices will fall even more here soon so that's more money I can put into the trailer.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #11

Came across this and remembered this thread. Kenworth - Peterbilt Crew Cab Modification
Old 06-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffinsalida View Post
Came across this and remembered this thread. Kenworth - Peterbilt Crew Cab Modification
jeffinsalida, did you "suffer" through the presentation with the sales guy? "Holy mother of the stuck brain and running mouth disease". Where did they find this guy? Used car repo lot?

hjs
Old 06-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #13

Gregg Shields at RV Haulers comverted my current Volvo 780 for me. I then took it to Larry Herrin for the hauler body. You can see pictures of it here.

I highly recommend Gregg for a conversion. He will find you a good truck, and will do the conversion RIGHT. And, most importantly, he communicates often, and clearly during the process. You will know exactly what is going on, and how much it will cost.

One additional thought. You will be so far overlength that it would not be wise to run under RV regulations. You will want to be commercial so that you will be legal - at least legal on the National Network.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #14

I was "less than impressed" and would never do business with them but just nice to see what is possible and for another design perspective. The sales pitch was horrible.