Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:28 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Sandy and I have been looking for some time at moving to an HDT. We've even gone so far as to find some candidate Class 8 tractors. Where we come up short, however, is that I'm still working, we're getting ready for retirement in 2-3 years, we'll be building a home and shop/RV barn, etc. So, frankly, I don't have the time or resources to handle the conversion of an HDT into an RV toter.

My question, then, is - are there sources out there in the marketplace where HDT RV toters can be purchased "off the lot", or are there sources that will work with you to do a turnkey conversion to your specs?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2007, 05:28 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Sandy and I have been looking for some time at moving to an HDT. We've even gone so far as to find some candidate Class 8 tractors. Where we come up short, however, is that I'm still working, we're getting ready for retirement in 2-3 years, we'll be building a home and shop/RV barn, etc. So, frankly, I don't have the time or resources to handle the conversion of an HDT into an RV toter.

My question, then, is - are there sources out there in the marketplace where HDT RV toters can be purchased "off the lot", or are there sources that will work with you to do a turnkey conversion to your specs?

Rusty
Old 08-23-2007, 05:44 AM   #3

Hi RustyJc

I want to thank everyone for bringing this forum back. And lets get a chat time set up....7:30pm to 10pm central time, maybe Pick a day or days.
As to your question....Check out escapees.com
get into the forum section....HDT...HDT Resource Guide...It is on the top of the HDT forum. Great infomation. Hope this helps

1999 Avion 37.5' triple slide
Kevin   Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:34 AM   #4

Rusty, you are already talking to the person that can get the job done

David
Toterman (David) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:49 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
David,

I knew you had done at least the 2 trucks we saw in Branson, but I didn't know you would do it for others. Am I reading you right??

Rusty
Old 08-23-2007, 09:11 AM   #6

Rusty
If I am not rushed I can do one for you. I am enjoying my traveling. We go for 4 to 6 weeks then come home for a couple of months.I just took over another 5000 sq ft building across from me and would have a nice place to work now.We just started on my Sons 660.

David
Old 08-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
David,

I'm in no rush at all. I'm in a position where I can wait until we can find just the right candidate truck, and I don't need the thing next week, next month or even next year as there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Dodge dually I have now. I guess I need to confer with the war department - if that goes well, we need to talk!

Rusty
Old 08-23-2007, 10:36 AM   #8

The other thing is just how far you want to take it as far as bed, any kinds of loader and just what is in the back of your mind.
You should probably try and make it up to our HDT rally first week of october and check out about 50 rigs.

David
Old 08-23-2007, 10:39 AM   #9

Rusty, you need to get behind the wheel of my truck and see how you like it. You need to give consideration to how you will get around once you get to your destination. You can drive the toter but it is a little bit of a pain. You see i have the Smart Car, others double tow.

David
Old 08-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
David,

I totally agree. The areas you brought up are some of those that we need to discuss before we make a decision.

Thanks for sharing your experience and wisdom with an HDT "newbie".

Rusty
Old 08-23-2007, 05:07 PM   #11

Rusty
NOTE: This way is Bad for your Health

you could do like i did.
1-Get truck

2-two weeks later, saying mmmumm (thinking) i need to bring this home.

3-Bring truck home and say (and you have to think a lot on this to suit your needs)
Baby this is neat, cool, diff way to camp, safe on the road,etc. and keep going on an on as long as need be. If and when smile on her face is gone go to rule #4.

4-Dig hole, get in and bring food and water The storm will pass.

Thanks Dwayne
Dwayne & Danette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:18 AM   #12

Rusty, you could have a talk with Herrin Welding Service in Kilgore Texas. Larry Herrin built my body and mounted my hitch and brake controller. He does good work for reasonable $$ and is a great guy to work with. Plus he is in Texas. Check out my pictures and let me know if you have any questions.

Charlie

2006 Volvo VNL42T630 465HP 1650ft/lbs. 12 speed Freedomline
themisfitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:38 PM   #13

Just thought Id tag on to this topic. Since first learning about the advantages and benefits of a Class 8 tow vehicle...Ive had a keen interest. Im curious as to whether purchasing a plain day cab Chassis and having a sleeper/ living area constructed, a bed constructed and what have you....Ive seen over on Racing Junk.Com Ad's for FL chassis for 80K with a 332" wheelbase. Sure sounds like plenty of room to add your sleeper/MH conversion and still have bed space left for a motorcycle or other vehicle plus your 5th wheel hitch. Its good that I have a couple of years left to sort out all this...LoL
Old 09-01-2007, 05:13 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Hey Rusty, you could always get the nice folks at Lone Star Haulers to make ya one of these...

335 Pete decked out....not enough motor for me though...would have to upgrade.

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote