Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
^^ Looks like the Volvo will make for a great ride.

May I ask why go for a tractor + 5th wheel combo instead of buying a diesel pusher, for example ?

You can get a nice coach for ~$300 000 CDN.
JoyalRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyalRV View Post
^^ Looks like the Volvo will make for a great ride. May I ask why go for a tractor + 5th wheel combo instead of buying a diesel pusher, for example ? You can get a nice coach for ~$300 000 CDN.
What I was thinking also...... Nice truck....but it still doesn't have a kitchen or bathroom - lol

And as somebody else here said so well...

Towing a 5th wheel means your vacation starts when you arrive at your destination....
If you have a class A motorhome....the vacation starts the moment you pull out of your driveway.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #17

An HDT and trailer does not work for everyone. It works well for some people, and it does not work at all for others. In general, it is a personal preference thing...just like the decision of having a 5er vs a motorhome (never mind the class of tow vehicle or type of MH).

In our case, we are fulltimers. We use an HDT because that is what gives us the comfort, flexibility and safety we desire. Our truck gives us the ability to carry a smart car, and still have the spaciousness and storage of a large 5th wheel. Which compared to ANY motorhome -including a Prevost - is far roomier and more "homey". But that may not work for everyone.

We also take our truck and car for up to week long trips and use it as a motorhome. It has all the amenities in it.

The choice boils down this way - IMO. FIRST you have to decide if you want a motorhome or trailer. ONLY then should you start looking at the different issues within the class of RV you think you want. EG. DP vs gas unit. Tag or no tag. Class A or C or B. Etc.

The same thing applies once you select a trailer. 5er or TT. LARGE 5er, requiring a large truck, or smaller. Super pickup (like an F450/550) or MDT/HDT. Custom to get the quality or production at less cost. ETC.

BTW, my truck DOES have a dinette table, two beds a kitchen and a portapottie (with privacy). Not that I would compare a PP to a bathroom.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Mayer View Post
BTW, my truck DOES have a dinette table, two beds a kitchen and a portapottie (with privacy). Not that I would compare a PP to a bathroom.
Cool ! I would love to see pictures of the inside when you get the chance. :-)
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Quote:

May I ask why go for a tractor + 5th wheel combo instead of buying a diesel pusher, for example ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
What I was thinking also...... Nice truck....but it still doesn't have a kitchen or bathroom - lol

And as somebody else here said so well...

Towing a 5th wheel means your vacation starts when you arrive at your destination....
If you have a class A motorhome....the vacation starts the moment you pull out of your driveway.
Well, as Jack mentioned above it all depends on personal preference and what you like to do. I really enjoy riding motorbikes and exploring when we get to our destinations. My DW doesn't care much for the motorbikes but does want to have a way to get around and not feel like she is stranded at campgrounds or RV parks. This way we can take the car on the truck and the motorbikes or a side x side with us in the toyhauler.

If I was willing to give up on the bikes we may look at a DP with a toad. We could be in a really nice MH for the investment in our TH and HDT....but this is what we want. The new truck will have two beds/dinette table/sink/microwave/fridge/inverter/separate cab heater/LCD TV/in-motion satellite dish/hydraulic Smart Car loader and .....yes a P/P. It's like having a second way to enjoy the RV lifestyle and can legally sleep in the beds while traveling down the road with the safety net in place. My DW really likes that idea since I do all the driving.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:59 AM   #20

Quote:

My luxury trailer and truck combo cost just under $100,000,could of saved money on the truck by converting it myself.
On a per sq ft / $$$ ratio you can't beat a trailer / truck,And with trucks this size get most of the benefits of a motorhome -walk around ,fix a meal,sleep ,potty,watch TV, in safety only 'passenger certified' MH chassis achieve (prevost?)
Volvo's exceed standards on passenger cell strength ,e.g. the window/cab corners support 10 tons not 5 as per DOT ,most MH will turn into matchwood long before that.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:17 AM   #21

Thanks to everyone for answering my question. I think Phil D nailed it best, the pioneer of using HDT started with a Volvo.
I have a boat and we go to the lake with the camper and boat all summer. If i had a class A it would be very cumbersome to hitch, launch, and retrieve the boat without a drivers door. I'd also like to be able to use the truck to just pull the boat some times if I'm not taking the camper. The truck/trailer just seems to offer a lot more flexibility in use.
In VA your not allowed to pull two trailers (FW and boat) but I see so many people doing it and getting away with it that I'm tempted to try. If I get a double trailer endorsement on my CDL and I happen to be driving an HDT I'm thinking maybe a cop would be more willing to let me go.
Really, I'd probably be looking for a MDT but the HDT seem easier to find and priced the same or lower. It's hard not to consider that too.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #22

Quote:

Like Jack said, there is no perfect setup for all. Each of us have our reasons for going with the rig we have. I would answer your question with a question: why would you get a diesel pusher instead of a Truck Conversion (there is a separate forum section here for Truck Conversions in case you're not sure what a Truck Conversion is)? I have a T/C and love it. I have tons more power than most D/P's. And get way better mileage. And I tow a enclosed car trailer loaded with stuff. But, I sure know that a D/P is better for some people. Just not me. Same as a HDT/5ver. I enjoy walking around the campground and looking at all the different rigs and chatting with people about what they like/don't like about their setups.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
Ya I know eh?
The chrome you can get for these things is amazing,you could break the bank .
And don't forget all the lights
jrgreenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #24

Quote:

Simple - the HDT will have 500-650hp and 1200-1400lb torque. It won't know your 40ft 5-er is back there and still will get you 10-12mpg. They are easy to work on, can be done at any Pilot-FJ or Petro fuel stop that has the facilities or CAT, Cummins, DD shop. The HDT combo may top out at $100-200k.

Powerhouse, Renegade & Showhauler units are $600k and feature top of the line equipment. I had a Powerhouse Coach. It could pull a 40000lb trailer behind it and I still got 10mpg. www.powerhousecoach.com/comparec.html

Your average diesel pusher is usually 300-400hp w/850-1000lb torque and will get you 6-8mpg and cost $250-750k. Harder to work on b/c of the restrictive compartment. Not user friendly at all. I can hear those units depreciate as I write this. Used ones go for about half.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikehunter View Post
Simple - the HDT will have 500-650hp and 1200-1400lb torque. It won't know your 40ft 5-er is back there and still will get you 10-12mpg. They are easy to work on, can be done at any Pilot-FJ or Petro fuel stop that has the facilities or CAT, Cummins, DD shop. The HDT combo may top out at $100-200k.

Powerhouse, Renegade & Showhauler units are $600k and feature top of the line equipment. I had a Powerhouse Coach. It could pull a 40000lb trailer behind it and I still got 10mpg. www.powerhousecoach.com/comparec.html

Your average diesel pusher is usually 300-400hp w/850-1000lb torque and will get you 6-8mpg and cost $250-750k. Harder to work on b/c of the restrictive compartment. Not user friendly at all. I can hear those units depreciate as I write this. Used ones go for about half.

Pikehunter, don't cut us short on our torque, lol!!! If we're 500+hp, then we're usually 1650, and on up to 2050lbs of torque,....depending on what engine you have.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:28 PM   #26

I just picked up my Showhauler... I test drove a Thor Outlaw, then a Newmar Canyon Star, Renegade Verona, Haulmark with a garage, and finally the Showhauler. In the end it was between the Verona- because its small, the Haulmark- because of the bedroom, and the Showhauler because the garage has room for my car and a motorcycle. I felt that the Showhauler/ Volvo and Ishift drove nicer than the Haulmark/ Cascadia combination. Now all I have to do is complete the registration process in Canada! I like the diesel and also safety benefits inherent in a Class 8 chassis too.
Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #27

I had wondered about that as well because I know of several trucking companies that won't use them..

I decided that it was like the usual ford/chebby/RAM debate..

We had looked at them as well but decided that a class 5 was a better match up for us.. but they are cool to look at

thanks..
Old 03-28-2017, 10:00 AM   #28

When i was a Fleet Service Manager we had International .. Freightliner...and Volvo trucks. They all were goid trucks.
We had our own shop but the trucks obviously went back to the dealers for warranty work. Before the DEF system came out there were a lot of problems with EGR coolers and for some reason turbo failures.
The company drivers really liked the Volvos when they were equipped with the Ishift transmission.
The only drawback that i can see with the Volvo engine is that there are a lot more service centers for Cummins or Detroit Diesel than the Volvo engine.
For example when i had trucks going to Whitehorse in the Yukon there is no service available for Volvo and an engine problem resulted in a 2600.00 tow bill.
oldgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote