Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2022, 09:46 PM   #1

‘04 W22 Alignment

I put new tires (Toyo M154s) on the moho a few weeks ago. I’ve driven it about 350 miles and it tires feel good.

I had an alignment done last spring. I want to get it checked since I’ve got the new tires. I’ve been reading about the ~5-5.5 degrees of caster helping straight line driveability. I admittedly know nothing about alignment, but I would at least like to be able to talk to my alignment guy about it.

Am I understanding correctly (overly simplified) that all that is needed is some shims and maybe adjusting the steering wheel to center? Does this cause additional tire wear in any way? Any other detrimental effects as a result? Again, alignment is way over my head.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2022, 12:24 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Click on this LINK to see a discussion on this subject.

I think most W series workhorse chassis came from the factory with caster of ~+3 degrees. Adding 3 degree caster wedges changes that to ~5.5 degrees.

More caster will improve straight line stability without affecting tire wear.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply yd. I was reading one of your post from last year (I think) that went into some detail about how you did this.
Old 04-14-2022, 05:20 AM   #4

I added caster wedges about 10k miles ago and do not regret it. I also run a little more front toe-in than the factory setting (based on some recommendations I read on this forum) and a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer. We're on the third day of a six-week trip and I'm sure DW must be getting tired of me saying how nicely our coach drives now. I have also done front and rear "trac" bars and sway bars, so the improvement can't be entirely credited to the caster wedges, but it certainly helped and is a lot cheaper than most of the other upgrades I've done.

I also have the Toyo M154 on the front of my coach and really like them. Next year I will be putting them on the rear too when my current Sumitomos reach seven years. Nothing wrong with the Sumitomos but I think the Toyos ride and track a little bit better.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:55 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply CamJam1. I’m going to talk to my alignment guy tomorrow and see if this is something he’d be comfortable doing.

Tags
alignment, w22