Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2017, 06:13 AM   #1

'04 W22 Brake caliper....what caused this?

I am assuming this is the E-brake cable connection to the caliper? I have never seen this issue, anyone know what caused it and what is the fix?

*Oh, and unrelated to this, what is the function of the pump and air tank in the pass side basement bay labeled "Brakes". I followed the air line and it connects to the chassis brake lines forward of the drivers side rear wheels. Cant find any reference to it in the manual, but can hear it running on and off while driving.

Sorry the picture is so small, having a hard time with Irv's photo re-sizing rules.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2017, 06:24 AM   #2

Old 11-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my '04 Workhorse W22 (W20, actually), the E-Brake is on the driveshaft right behind the trans. That (your pic) looks like an ABS sensor.

Sorry, can't help you with the air pump/tank; my Itasca doesn't have anything like that.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post

I am assuming this is the E-brake cable connection to the caliper? I have never seen this issue, anyone know what caused it and what is the fix?

*Oh, and unrelated to this, what is the function of the pump and air tank in the pass side basement bay labeled "Brakes". I followed the air line and it connects to the chassis brake lines forward of the drivers side rear wheels. Cant find any reference to it in the manual, but can hear it running on and off while driving.....
I can't imagine why an AIR line would be connected to hydraulic brakes. The last thing you want in hydraulic brakes is air, followed closely by water.
Also, I agree with 4 X4 Van about the PARKING brake being located immediately behind the tranny, so what you pictured is most likely the ABS sensor. Follow that cable and see if it joins another from the opposite side into a larger harness. If it is the ABS sensor cable, it looks to have been damaged by over-heated brake components.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #5

Didn't you state in one of your posts that the abs light is on? This is most likely what's causing it. Check, clean, or replace the abs sensors. This one is bad.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:51 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a backup brake booster system that runs to provide power brakes, when the engine is not running. On my 2004 W22, it is located underneath, on the drivers side. You can hear it run, if you apply the brakes when the engine is not running. It is not an air system, but has a tank that looks like an air tank. If this is what you are hearing,when the engine is running, I suspect you have a problem either with it, or the normal power brake booster. Mine does not operate run when the engine is running.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:53 PM   #7

The picture you posted is a severely melted ABS sensor. Look at another wheel and you will see what it should look like, assuming the other wheels have not had the same over heating problem.
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Motor7,
Regarding air tank and brake question, I have a tow car brake system I added to my rig and it consisted of an air tank, small air compressor, and a trailer "T" fitting to the brake line. A proportional air pressure is sent to the tow car to activate its brakes. It sounds like you may have a similar system for tow car brake system. Yours sound like it may still be active and running a compressor when ever the tank pressure drops some..
Old 11-03-2017, 06:24 AM   #9

Ah......... y'all are right, the pump and tank is what's left of a Roadmaster Toad system....I found the paperwork in the coach's files. So is this an independent system from the coaches brakes or an add on? Without a toad I wonder why it's running? And it is a air tank(I know since I bled it), so it uses air to boost extra brake pressure in the additional brake lines or separate brake lines? I have been kicking around flat towing my Wrangler so maybe I can go over the system and see if it's worth adding the missing components.

Charlie, good memory, yes the ABS light was and is still on(it's on the "list"). The fitting looks more like a cable not a wire, so I didn't make the ABS connection. I need to drive it a bit, then crawl under there with my IR gun and see what the temps of that caliper are compared to the other one which is Not melted.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:52 AM   #10

Did you check your vin# to see if the Workhorse brake recall has been completed
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:12 AM   #11

Mo, yes it has...all 4 calipers replaced.

When I test drove it, the coach pulled to the right when braking hard. That issue disappeared after driving it a bit more. When the new tires went on, all brake pads were inspected and in good shape.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #12

So I'm surfing around trying to figure out what part I need, and I fine the original recall bulletin that says the sticking caliper can melt the ABS sensor. Mine have been replaced, so are sticking calipers still common?
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/200...9V110-3456.pdf
Old 11-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Mo, yes it has...all 4 calipers replaced.

When I test drove it, the coach pulled to the right when braking hard. That issue disappeared after driving it a bit more. When the new tires went on, all brake pads were inspected and in good shape.
Recently had similar brake pull issue ob WH 22. Turned out ut was a bad beake hose reztricting flow to one ftont wheel.
Replaced hose allis well.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:42 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
So I'm surfing around trying to figure out what part I need, and I fine the original recall bulletin that says the sticking caliper can melt the ABS sensor. Mine have been replaced, so are sticking calipers still common?
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/200...9V110-3456.pdf
Maybe the ABS sensor melted before the Caliper replacement, and the PO did not install a new one.

Tags
w22, brake