Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #1

05 Workhorse 8.1 Alternator

Has anyone upgraded there alternator from 160 amps too 200 or more.
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2020, 07:39 AM   #2

The OE alternator was 145 Amps. Why do you need more?
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:03 AM   #3

Wasn't an RV but I upgraded a 55 amp to a 250 amp alternator.

It was tough on the belts at full output and I needed to upgrade the positive and negetive wires to 2 gauge to get full output to the batteries.

Run to many amps thru a thinner wire and your just wasting the power heating the wire.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:32 AM   #4

I have been told that after installing 4 100AH lithium batteries the oem alternator would burn itself out trying to charge the 4 coach batteries and the chassis battery. Hence need to go from 145 amps to 250. Would rather not do that. I wonder if I can disconnect the coach batteries from the alternator and just let my solar system keep the chassis batteries charged?
05 Dolphin #5342
Old 09-19-2020, 08:56 AM   #5

Sure you can. Find the isolation/boost solenoid, by pressing the boost switch on and off while listening for it, and remove one of the small wires going to it.

With a wire off, the solenoid can't close and tie the batteries together.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:16 AM   #6

Thanks, twinboat. Appreciate it. Your advice has always been great.
Chuck
05 Dolphin #5342
Old 09-19-2020, 09:26 AM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Sure you can. Find the isolation/boost solenoid, by pressing the boost switch on and off while listening for it, and remove one of the small wires going to it.

With a wire off, the solenoid can't close and tie the batteries together.
Is the solenoid part of the altrernator? If not, where is it located? I have the same engine and may want to do the same thing.

One solution I've seen is to reroute that wire to the dash and use a toggle switch to turn it on and off.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #8

Mine is located in front right bay passenger side, top shelf. Has a decal marked coach battery.
05 Dolphin #5342
Old 09-19-2020, 10:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Q View Post
Mine is located in front right bay passenger side, top shelf. Has a decal marked coach battery.
It shouldn't be marked coach battery, that sounds like a battery disconnect solenoid.

Unless its marked coach on one side and chassis on the other.

Your looking for a solenoid that has battery size cables on both sides. One from coach and one chassis battery.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:41 PM   #10

Is the boost solenoid energized when the key is on? I thought that was the purpose of the safety boost switch to connect the house batteries to the chassis battery?
Old 09-22-2020, 06:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyre View Post
Is the boost solenoid energized when the key is on? I thought that was the purpose of the safety boost switch to connect the house batteries to the chassis battery?

The boost solenoid will be energized when the engine is running and after the chassis batteries reach their charged voltage determined by the battery management system.
If it was energized when the key is turned on , your chassis battery could be run down if the house batteries are dead.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:02 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi all, I am currently installing a lithium iron phosphate house battery and I'm interested in the signal from the engine that turns this solenoid on. I think by disconnecting the signal wire I can safely charge my house battery without overtaxing my alternator. I plan on using a dc-to-dc charger for the house batteries and having them not directly connected to the alternator. I have a 2011 Workhorse Winnebago Adventurer 37f and cannot find anything in the wiring diagrams to help me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill
BillVoyage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, workhorse