Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #1

Unhappy 2000 7.4 L Workhorse chassis loss of power

After owning way to many RVs of every kind, my last one was an 84 southwind 26' class A with only 26,000 miles on it. Obviously sat too long, took it on long trip in august, limped it home on 6 cylinders. Just bought a 2000 Damon 28' class A with 7.4 chevy on workhorse chassis. Driving it home after purchase, very hot day, 70 mph, about 65 miles, 3 miles from home it lost power, would go 5mph floored, popping and backfiring. I was able to get home at 5mph, hoping I wasnt damaging it more. Previous owner claims it never happened (yeah right), doesnt show it in any work receipts anywhere. Today it fires up, sounds good, but Im afraid to pull out of driveway. read some threads on here about hot fuel pump, vapor lock, hot fuel lines, adding seafoam, keeping more than half tank(just put in enough for a little over half before driving home)..Is it possible its the fuel filter, or vacuum lines? Any ideas where to start. Definitely doesnt sound like the 84 with 2 cylinders gone, but feels same when driving. Very depressing.
RVcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

You'll get more answers in this forum than in Introductions.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like mine did this summer after a long haul in very hot weather(>100). Came off free way. Popped and stuttered 2 miles to a camp ground. Fuel filter and pump relay checked OK. No fuel pressure-- bad fuel pump was cause --- at 90000 miles.

If yours sat around, could be filter or pump or both. Easy test to

get fuel pressure tested.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #4

What is the optimum fuel pressure on this engine?
2000 7.4 chevy workhorse chassis
Old 09-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
probably 55 -60 psi if its MPI
Old 09-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #6

workhorse loss of power

the fuel tests out at 50 psi, but thats after its been sitting for a couple days. if it was vaporlock or hot pump, that wont tell me anything. I havent driven it yet, am afraid to.and I need to fix whatever it is before it happens again. lost on next move
Old 09-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I assume your fuel pressure test was with engine running??
Replace fuel filter AND check old filter for blockage or resistance to flow... Check fuel tank cap for proper action( @auto zone --etc)..
Old 09-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #8

i am sure this is really right ....Previous owner claims it never happened (yeah right)

it could have set for some time as well or he did not drive it the same or as hard and never showed up

its some thing getting hot or fuel system ?
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Might also check/clean MAF sensor in the air intake using appropriate cleaner. Although this malfunction would probably set off an engine code.

Also look for loose or partially attached air inlet plumbing to the throttle body assembly especially where it is supported on the upper radiator shroud.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #10

Im pretty sure the motorhome has been sitting for a while, other than changing locations of where she put it up for sale. She is 81 years old and probably never drove it fast and hard. I put in $100 gas and drove 75 mph for an hour on hot day and after cresting a very steep hill is when the trouble started. We put the fuel pressure gauge on and drove it around for a half hour up hills yesterday, 55 # and drops to 35# on hills briefly, but keeps power, did not duplicate problem. Where is fuel filter located on the workhorse? Nothing seems to overheat, and the engine is running very cool according to gauges. Ill look for loose plumbing at throttle. Thank you all for input, I really appreciate it and accept any ideas you may have. Thanks,
Old 09-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #11

workhorse chassis losing power

The mechanic now tells me it did have an 02 sensor code, I would think that is pretty important?? Im assuming replacing the intake sensor would be a step in the right direction?
Old 09-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #12

If there's one thing i've learned, it's "Never assume you have only one problem". On my p32, the fuel filter is on the inside of the frame rail, passenger side forward of the rear wheels.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd drive it on short trips - might have been some bad gas or varnish in the fuel line that got loose and caused your 3 miles of scare.
Reset the error code and watch for a re-occurring code. If the O2 sensor has really failed, your power will be decreased and fuel economy will be real bad.
Won't hurt to replace the fuel filter, but you are throwing parts at it without knowing what the problem really. Bottom line is you won't know if you have a real problem until you drive it some more.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:32 AM   #14

Yep. Some call this the secret fuel filter. It can be tucked inside a frame rail bend so you can't really see it until you look carefully. On our '99 7.4, a partially clogged fuel filter caused the "Check engine" light to intermittently come on. On our old carburated '82 427, a clogged fuel filter would cause the engine to stutter when climbing a grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
If there's one thing i've learned, it's "Never assume you have only one problem". On my p32, the fuel filter is on the inside of the frame rail, passenger side forward of the rear wheels.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, workhorse, chassis