Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2017, 08:47 AM   #1

2000 workhorse chassis P30 or P32 chassis oil grade for engine and trans

Hello,

Looking for a bit of info on the recommended grade of oil for my MH. As well capacity and type of oil for the transmission.

thanks in advance!

MH is a 2001 Fleetwood Storm 32V. has 7.4L (454ci).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2017, 08:54 AM   #2

going through the electronic manual, if it is an 4L80E, not certain that it would be anything else, looks like 7.7 qts. of Dexron III trans fluid. Can anyone confirm for me?

as well trying to locate trans filter kit part # for it.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:09 PM   #3

ok so 6 qts 10w30
7.7 qts of dexron III
got oil filter

anyone know part number for a trans filter kit?

thanks!
taner
Old 08-31-2017, 04:00 PM   #4

I changed my trans fluid last year and just went to the local Carquest store for the filter. I don't know what the number was but they didn't have any problem getting it. I would imagine any other parts store could do the same.

The filter I got came with a pan gasket and the instructions were to re-use the old gasket if it wasn't damaged. I ignored that and replaced the gasket. A few months later I changed the trans fluid in the wifes Buick which wasn't a lot different than the P30. That time I reused the old gasket just to see what would happen. I was surprised when there were no leaks. The old gasket is much better than the replacement and I wish I had left the old one on the MH. Both filters were a PITA to install, possibly because I'm not as strong as I was a few years ago..

I always fill the oil filter a little below the top before installing it. I've always done that with filters where that was possible. IMO, it helps oil get to the engine a little faster.

I don't remember the quantities, but it sounds like you already have them. If you would like me to check my manuals please let me know.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:21 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Not sure if you have researched dextron III it has now been replaced by dextron VI heres a little info from Wiki, looks like its now full synthetic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEXRONDEXRON-VI[edit]

The fluid specification for Dexron-VI was introduced in 2005, and was first used as the GM factory-fill automatic transmission fluid for model year 2006. All Dexron-III licenses expired permanently at the end of 2006, and GM now supports only Dexron-VI fluids for use in their automatic transmissions,[3] although fluids asserted by their manufacturers to meet Dexron-III standards continue to be sold under names such as Dex/Merc. These fluids are not regulated or endorsed by GM.[4]
Dexron VI is of a slightly lower viscosity when new compared to the prior Dexron fluids (a maximum of 6.4 cSt at 100 °C for Dexron VI and 7.5 cSt for Dexron III), but the allowed viscosity loss from shearing of the ATF during use is lower for Dexron VI, resulting in the same lowest allowed final viscosity for both Dexron III and VI (5.5 cSt) in test.[5] In reality most of the DEXRON-III fluids typically sheared to about 4.2 cSt in use. The lower, more stable viscosity improved pumping efficiency within the transmission and fluid stability over life. Since Dexron VI is not allowed to thin out (lower its viscosity) as much as Dexron III during use, it requires the use of higher-quality, more shear-stable (less prone to thinning while in use) formulations.[4] The current GM specification that defines the fluid is GMW16444, which superseded the original specification, GMN10060.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #6

thank you for the feedback!!!

I ordered Redline synthetic, and yes it is rated for III and IV. Ultra RV sells the filter kit. will be ordering that here shortly.

lots to do before the disney trip!

Tags
chassis, engine, p30, p32, workhorse, workhorse chassis