Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #1

2001 P32 parking brake

I know that I saw a few threads about the autopark on the P32 workhorse chassis. I just bought this 01 workhorse and the autobrake does not work. The previous owner gave me a set of the brake shoes for it. He said that it had locked up and burned up the shoes. He told me that the pressure switch was bad causing the problem and he replace that already. should I hear the hydralics or something when put in park and activating the yellow switch? I have not found any fuses in the front under hood fuse box.

Bret
Bretrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a fuse under the dash for the autopark. You should hear the pump motor growl when you release the brake but not when you apply it.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #3

I dont hear a thing. I have a main fuse box under the hood but done see anything in there for the brake. Have not seen a fuse box under the dash. If there is one it would be had to access with no drivers door
Old 12-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is one there, at least on mine. Your original post sounds odd and could use more info. He said the brake locked up and burnt up the shoes so he gave you new shoes. He replaced the green switch. He apparently knew it did'nt work so it is possible , even logical that perhaps he took the fuse out so no one would forget that there is no parking brake? Hopefully he backed off the adjuster or removed the pin so the shoe mounts are not rubbing metal to metal and ruining your drum, even more.
Do you have any kind of parking brake now? Do have lights on in the dash indicating the PB is on?

"Old Used Bear" is the expert on the Autopark, I learned the little bit I know about it from him and am just tring to help out until he sees this thread. You can also E Mail him.
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #5

he just said that he replaced the pressure switch and gave me the shoes. The autopark light works when in park for the trans I need to use the levelers when parked to keep it from rolling. I have been emailing him about the issue. still the most complex thing I have seen
Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #6

Would one of you please give me the proper e-mail address for the oldusedbear. Thanking you in advance and everyone have a great day.
Neville Abbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #7

oldusedbear11@charter.net

oub
Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretrx7 View Post
he just said that he replaced the pressure switch and gave me the shoes. The autopark light works when in park for the trans I need to use the levelers when parked to keep it from rolling. I have been emailing him about the issue. still the most complex thing I have seen
With all due respect, you're emailing the "wrong" guy. As Max49 suggested, you need to email Roger Haag, THE EXPERT, at the email address he provide above: oldusedbear11@charter.net Roger WILL teach you how to master your AAPB, and his advice is free. Good luck!
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
There is one there, at least on mine. Your original post sounds odd and could use more info. He said the brake locked up and burnt up the shoes so he gave you new shoes. He replaced the green switch. He apparently knew it did'nt work so it is possible , even logical that perhaps he took the fuse out so no one would forget that there is no parking brake? Hopefully he backed off the adjuster or removed the pin so the shoe mounts are not rubbing metal to metal and ruining your drum, even more.
Do you have any kind of parking brake now? Do have lights on in the dash indicating the PB is on?

"Old Used Bear" is the expert on the Autopark, I learned the little bit I know about it from him and am just tring to help out until he sees this thread. You can also E Mail him.

I will look tomorrow under the dash. The lights on the dash do light with the autopark and go out. There is a large fuse box under the hood but I do not see any autopark fuses in there.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretrx7 View Post
I will look tomorrow under the dash. The lights on the dash do light with the autopark and go out. There is a large fuse box under the hood but I do not see any autopark fuses in there.
A later model chassis has the fuse block mounted under the hood, rather than under the dash and for the better, especially without having a driver's side door.
The fuse is there somewhere, but doesn't sound like it's blown, otherwise you wouldn't have the lights, I don't think. The whole thing sounds like it's working with the shoes just being worn out and not holding. Turn the ignition on without starting and take it out of park. Make sure the yellow knob is pushed in as well if you indeed have one. Then listen closely for the pump to run for a short period and then quit. I'm thinking that your pump is under the hood as well, rather than along the passenger side frame rail.
Once Roger gets you going, let us know of the fix, if you please.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE="tropical36;1398834"]
A later model chassis has the fuse block mounted under the hood, rather than under the dash and for the better, /QUOTE]

My '05 has a fuse box under the dash and another under the hood. It's poasibe that u guys without a driver door may have to be a contortionist to look up under there.
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
[QUOTE=max49;1398939]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
A later model chassis has the fuse block mounted under the hood, rather than under the dash and for the better, /QUOTE]

My '05 has a fuse box under the dash and another under the hood. It's poasibe that u guys without a driver door may have to be a contortionist to look up under there.
Guess there's more versions that I thought then and you're right about not having a driver's door....
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #13

My fuse box is under the hood. I did check as per Roger and it looks like it is all working. going to be a little bit warm today so I am going to adjusting the shoes and see if that works. I have the new shoes if they need to be replaced. Is there also an adjustment on the cable from the pump?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, right behind the actuator, I believe it takes a couple 3/4" wrenches. Possibly a pair of vise grips to hold the shaft initially.
Denver, Colorado

Tags
brake