Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 03:35 PM   #1

2001 Workhorse 8.1L upgrades?

Hello All,

I have a 2001 Winne Adventurer 32V with the workhorse chassis, 8.1L vortec. I just got it and love it. I am wanting to get a little more power out of this beast while I am towing my boat, pulling long hills, etc... I am wondering for those who have done banks, ultrapower, etc. can you just add this and see significant gains? Or will you not notice much of a difference if you don’t also add the CAI, headers, exhaust? Other options?

Thanks -
Bvandy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 03:54 PM   #2

You might want to add scan gauge 2.. to keep track of trans oil temps.. I added a real gauge.. in fact I added 5 gauges.. first.. flush brakes and coolant.. change diff, p/s oil. I added fan to stock trans cooler plus added another one.. added another eng oil cooler.. heat really kills theses babies fast.. make sure you change plugs and wires.. and wrap them with insulation kits. Are you where they run e pa, testing. If not.. change out stock exhaust.. keep old stuff just in case.. there is so much more.. your real power maker is in cam swap..and ultra power e cm, upgrade.. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 08-02-2021, 04:15 PM   #3

I can’t give you all the answers your looking for, but as someone who got an ‘02 with 36k miles, stock exhaust, no engine mods of any kind on her in January, I’ll offer the following -

Get an OBDII scanner that will allow you to record “live data”. You need to watch your fuel trims and coolant temps. Others will chime in here - but Workhorse screwed around with the computer firmware and you won’t get a CEL on fuel trims until it’s too late, somewhat the same for coolant temp.

Some will say get a ScanGaugeII, I did, and I’m not real happy with it. It doesn’t record data, nor does it alarm you when a setting is exceeded. It does give you transmission fluid temperature which the FoxWell N301 that I have won’t give, but does everything else mentioned above.

If combined fuel trims per bank are >10, then you need to figure out what’s wrong. I had high trims (in the high teens) - and did the following -

Removed and cleaned the MAF in rubbing alcohol (I couldn’t find any store in East Dallas county that had any MAF cleaner - guess people were using it for hand sanitizer ��).

Changed wires to Brazel’s Magnums, and ordered 41-101 plugs from them as well. You’ll read where many say to gap at .045 - I didn’t and the engine seems to run fine with plugs “out of the box” (I got lazy and didn’t check them).

Still high trims.

Set out to find vacuum leaks - and found the fuel regulator/dampener on the fuel rail was leaking gas - when this happens, raw fuel is dumped into the intake manifold between #7 and #8.

Still high trims.

Recorded live data and got with Jon at Brazel’s. Told him what I had done, he look d at data, suggested to install a new OEM Delphi MAF. Sent new data to Jon - problem solved. Trims are now in the single digits.

Do the tranny fluid flush/upgrade from Dexron to TranSynd. I did, and after a 50 mile test run, the next day my tranny left a box of chocolates and a dozen roses for us on the dining table.
When I did this in March, Summit Racing had the best price on an Allison Approved Transynd replacement (don’t use anything other than one of the 2-3 Allison Approved alternatives).

And if you don’t have the service history of the coach - there are a couple or three awesome people on the board here who will run your VIN to see if the brake recalls have been completed on your coach. You will have to find a Navistar dealer in your area o do the work - no charge to you unless any wear parts need to be installed (I had the shop I used replace all the disc pads, lube the chassis, and check why my ABS Light was staying on - total of work outside of warranty was $533.00. Recall work was free (which included a full flush of the brake system which was probably way behind schedule anyway).
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvandy123 View Post
Hello All,

I have a 2001 Winne Adventurer 32V with the workhorse chassis, 8.1L vortec. I just got it and love it. I am wanting to get a little more power out of this beast while I am towing my boat, pulling long hills, etc... I am wondering for those who have done banks, ultrapower, etc. can you just add this and see significant gains? Or will you not notice much of a difference if you don’t also add the CAI, headers, exhaust? Other options?

Thanks -
Depending on which chassis you have, P32 or W series, you MAY be close to exceeding the GCVWR, but regardless, I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions from those who can answer your questions better than I can.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:49 PM   #5

Thanks for the input thus far, it is a p32 chassis. I have all the service records from the original owner, only 30k miles. I definitely want to do most of the “bolt-on” upgrades, most everything I’m seeing is for the W series chassis.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:55 AM   #6

The Banks header kit for the 8.1L P32 was discontinued about a year ago and is no longer available.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:08 AM   #7

Anything I mentioned about the 8.1 likely still applies to the P32 chassis. Am thinking you probably don’t have the Allison tranny.

No flowers or boxes of chocolates for you my friend. ��
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:39 AM   #8

Headers.. see on line racing stores.. straight exhaust.. glass pack.. the stock muffler is so big it chokes the eng.. performance T,B, then bigger injectors.. e,c,M, power tune.. cam and spring swap.. larger radiator, trans, and eng oil coolers.. next forced induction.. or stroker.. pull and buy stroke kit.. 525c,i,d, or more.. it is limited by your mind and wallet. But on this forum most here realize that there is the rest of rv that needs upgrade too.. so it's a balance between chassis and coach.. really if you are looking for power tips.. hit the Chevy truck forums.. they do things that are very interesting.. I watch them all the time.. keep us posted on what you do..
Old 08-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #9

Oh.. just remember p32 is just a Chevy truck bolted to big frame.. Chevy used same eng and trans in pickup trucks as they do rv .. so when you look at racing parts.. use Chevy c2500 or c3500 same eng and trans and year as yours.. and parts will bolt right up.. much cheaper than trying to use rv parts or workhorse parts.. Chevy has whole performance line for racing parts.. don't tell them rv.. tell them truck.. so what is holding you back.. just go for it.. start building your dream today..
Old 08-03-2021, 12:21 PM   #10

That may not work for headers due to clearance / spacing differences compared to the pickup truck,
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
That may not work for headers due to clearance / spacing differences compared to the pickup truck,
This is what I am afraid of, has anyone done this? Used truck headers on a p32 chassis? I figured shorty headers and high quality flex pipe I could practically make my own header kit. It’s what I did on my 73 C10 that was powered by a 625hp BBC. Didn’t rattle, didn’t break. All bolt on
Old 08-03-2021, 09:51 PM   #12

There are so many good racing parts store.. they will take back if they do not fit.. so ask or check returns before buying.. I would say.. read here in these forums and there are members here in the past used truck headers and long tube type.. with great success and saved so much over banks.. but it's your choice.. and chase those cats out.. if you done it on last truck you know what I am talking about and glass pack.. only way.. and you will need an Ultra e,c,M, tune to really take advantage of the headers.. you already know how to do it.. only suggestion I have.. is you might want to use 2 glass packs per side just to keep noise down.. at campsites.. and add extra eng and trans coolers.. keep us posted..
Old 08-03-2021, 10:10 PM   #13

As for mine.. 2000 workhorse p32 454.. I don't use headers.. too much $$ .. for little horse power gain and work.. too old to get it any mo.. I pulled cats.. and reamed them out.. hollow.. then put back on.. if gov checks with mirrors they are still there and run 4 glass packs with 90 turn downs to side of coach.. next for me is ultra tune.. header give you maybe 10 to 20hp more but the cats.. eat your hp, up and burn valves.. .. and that big piece of junk muffler eats so much and just trash.. that is just old gear heads opinion.. many here are not gear heads.. they understand there is balance between upgrade chassis and coach.. change that brake, p/s, and diff oil.. what do you think about the 8qt oil cover for Dana 80 diff for 300.00 ? Have you looked at that ? I am drooling.. should i do it..? .? I added everything except cam and springs.. and e,c,M, tune.. that is 8qt more over stock with cooling fins.. And you bet I will add temp gauges to diff.. I have already added 6 gauges..
Old 08-04-2021, 12:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvandy123 View Post
Thanks for the input thus far, it is a p32 chassis. I have all the service records from the original owner, only 30k miles. I definitely want to do most of the “bolt-on” upgrades, most everything I’m seeing is for the W series chassis.
Ran into the same issue for the Banks headers for our 1995 P30 7.4L. At the time the 1996-2000 headers were available. We took a gamble the headers would fit the engine and chassis. They did. Had to fabricate my own collector to muffler pipes. Used the Banks photos and downloadable pdfs, along with some mandrel bent tubing to build them.
We live in CA, and smog compliance is 100% mandatory, so I built everything to match the 1991-1995 version. In our rig the set up from Banks, with the bigger Banks muffler and cold air intake made huge power gains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1887.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	651.0 KB
ID:	338289   Click image for larger version

Name:	header 4.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	338290  

Tags
upgrade, workhorse