Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2022, 02:53 PM   #1

2002 Safari Plug change.

Please, I have a two part question re: plug changes on a 2002 Trek.

I just picked up a 2002, with 37K.

What's the process to remove the doghouse to get to the plugs and 'about' time involved to do that?

And then the 'about' time to get to the plugs and change those out?

Thank you.
JDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2022, 04:09 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Should be easier than working under a pickup's hood.
A word of caution. Have new wires at the ready. Invariably, you will need them.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:23 PM   #3

At 37,000 miles you might not need new plugs depending on what's in it. I ran the plugs in my 2004 F150 for 180,000 miles and when I pulled them they were all good except that the gap had grown quite a bit. I might pull one of them and see what it looks like, if it looks good and you're not getting a miss I would save my money. I would be much more concerned about wires as they tend to go bad with age. Whatever you do, good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:40 PM   #4

If your plug boots are crispy, add some insulating sleeves to the new wires.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:01 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
If your plug boots are crispy, add some insulating sleeves to the new wires.
The Chevy 8.1L comes with heat reflecting tubes that slip over the boots. Problem with the 8.1L in a dog house is there is no dedicated air flow toward the sides of the engine. The wires are prone to carburizing and then shorting out under higher compression rates during hill climbs or quick acceleration. An effort must be made to completely block off all airflow through the front bulkhead, allowing only for flow through the radiator. When at rest at a light these coaches recirculate warm air to the front and the engine compartment just gets that much hotter. The air conditioner fails to produce cold air because of this recycling of hot engine air when at idle.
Old 01-08-2022, 11:25 PM   #6

Thank you all for the posts and info.

Anyone have a thought about:

What's the process to remove the doghouse to get to the plugs and 'about' time involved to do that?

And then the 'about' time to get to the plugs and change those out?
Old 01-09-2022, 06:13 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should be able to do the job within 1 hour if you are adept. My doghouse has 4 hasps holding it in place. Two at the floor and two at the bulkhead. Good luck!!!
Old 01-09-2022, 08:16 AM   #8

2002 Safari Plug change.

I found the plugs much easier to change from below. Installed the Magnum wires from Ultra RV at the same time.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:36 AM   #9

I haven't changed the plugs yet but changed the plug wires. I also found it easier from below. I highly recommend the Ultra RV plug wires as some have reported problems with other brands not being able to withstand the heat.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:42 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Probably easier to change plugs via front wheel wells. Turn wheels all the way to stop, left or right, Take a look at how access is to change plugs without removing doghouse. You will usually break or damage one or more plug wires when disconnecting them from spark plug’s.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:36 PM   #11

Your 2002 Safari Trek was built after Monaco bought Safari, but was still using up the old Safari parts, so it may have a combination of each manufacturer's design. I had 2 treks built on either end of the company purchase; my 1999 Trek had the doghouse secured by several Phillips head screws around the doghouse - maybe buried in the carpeting or under little plastic caps. My 2005 Monaco Trek has the doghouse secured by two rubber clamps on each side, then one big screw at the end.

Removal only takes a few minutes but removing the earlier style doghouse is easier if you remove the 4 big nuts/washers holding the passenger seat.

Again, you will get a lot of model specific information on Trek Tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDane View Post
Thank you all for the posts and info....What's the process to remove the doghouse to get to the plugs and 'about' time involved to do that?....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 05:58 PM   #12

As mentioned the 2002 Trek was introduced just months after the Monaco buyout, there are a lot of unit to unit variation, some have gas struts on the cargo compartment doors, some have top mount retaining clips, some have pocket doors on the bathroom, some have barn door exposed sliding doors, ....

Having said that most likely you have 4 screws holding the doghouse cover down, afterward removing them you should be able to slide it straight back enough to access the spark plugs and spark plug wires, though at only 37,000 miles chances are the plugs are fine, the wires may be a different matter. Be careful not to let the dog house cover hit the power seat controls as it can easily break the switches. If you want to remove the dog house cover completely it really helps to have 2 people.

I also second the suggestion to get the Magnum Extreme plug wires from Ultra RV products, they are expensive, though I just wish I had bought them before burning through 2 sets of Taylor Extreme plug wires at $140 per set first.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:25 AM   #13

Thank you, all.

I do have a set of the Ultra wires, and some turbo heat shield I will use to add for additional plug wire protection.

Excellent info.