Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
2003 Workhorse Chassis - Which Fuel Pump?

I am trying to figure out which fuel pump I should order for a spare. If anyone specifically knows which number I should get, please help.

What I have read elsewhere in this forum:

'02 and '03 Chassis uses a #25315352
Apparently, 25315352 superceded the 25178125, but I dont know what the difference is.

I found one XREF for 25315352, A CARTER P74758M

Previous to that:

25178145 = Delphi FG0064
25178125 = Delphi FG0061

The most common pump is the GM 25178125 or (DELPHI FG0061) Does anyone know if the 25178125 will work on a 2003 Workhorse ?
My VIN is: 5B4MP67G833375789

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #2

Carolina Campers
My local Chevrolet dealer has a truck service center and certified Workhourse mechanics. I take my 2005 Dolphin there.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
bkb

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can contact McMaster-Carr they may be able to help as I think they may have been the supplier. Here is a link for their sight:

McMaster-Carr
bkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #4

I replaced my fuel pump on my 2003 workhorse with the Carter P74758M, made in the USA. It is the correct replacment for the original fuel pump.
Jazzz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Curious why you want to carry a spare fuel pump.

Are you having a problem of some sort that makes you think yours is bad?

I've not read of a huge problem with fuel pumps on the 8.1 and I've owned two of them over the years.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Curious why you want to carry a spare fuel pump.

Are you having a problem of some sort that makes you think yours is bad?

I've not read of a huge problem with fuel pumps on the 8.1 and I've owned two of them over the years.
The reason I carry spares is to not be ripped off by a repair shop that charges $1500 to replace the pump. They do occasionaly fail and when they do you will be charged $500-$700 for a replacement vs less than $300 if you buy it yourself.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #7

Carolina Campers
How do you change it? I have never done that, but thought you may have to drop the tank or something....

I ask because when I went on my last trip I had a situation occur where I ended up being stuck at the side of the road. I was able to get going again, but I was told it may be that the fuel pump is going bad. Therefore, I may want to get one as well.

I was on my way to Albuquerque, NM, heading west on I-40. Before you get to the great adventure of Clines Corners (any one that has been there knows what I mean) there are many long hills to clime. They are not real steep but seem to go on for ever. They are steep enough that you will find cars, RVs and trucks along the side overheated, etc.

Anyway, I was about 1/4 mile from the top of the last hill (2.5 miles from Clines Corners) when my RV finally sputtered and stopped.

I then realized that my tank was at about 1/4 full. I checked the engine and the oil was at level, it did not smell like it was overheated, etc. So my first thought was, even with a 1/4 tank, could the combination of a bumpy road with a steep uphill grade have caused just enough sloshing to get air in the gas line?

After sitting there for a while (maybe 30 or 40 mins) and trying to contact someone to help. My DW suggested that we just unhook the toad and go get some gas to see if that would allow us to get to a gas station. I said we could do that, but let me try one more time.

The RV started and we drove the last 2.5 miles to Clines Corners. I filled up with gas. The remaining trip went fine and the coach ran as smooth as normal.

I have driven about 2,000 miles since that situation without any further issue, but I have insured that the tank does not get less than 1/2 tank.

Thanks for any information on that repair that you can provide.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
How do you change it? I have never done that, but thought you may have to drop the tank or something....

I ask because when I went on my last trip I had a situation occur where I ended up being stuck at the side of the road. I was able to get going again, but I was told it may be that the fuel pump is going bad. Therefore, I may want to get one as well.

I was on my way to Albuquerque, NM, heading west on I-40. Before you get to the great adventure of Clines Corners (any one that has been there knows what I mean) there are many long hills to clime. They are not real steep but seem to go on for ever. They are steep enough that you will find cars, RVs and trucks along the side overheated, etc.

Anyway, I was about 1/4 mile from the top of the last hill (2.5 miles from Clines Corners) when my RV finally sputtered and stopped.

I then realized that my tank was at about 1/4 full. I checked the engine and the oil was at level, it did not smell like it was overheated, etc. So my first thought was, even with a 1/4 tank, could the combination of a bumpy road with a steep uphill grade have caused just enough sloshing to get air in the gas line?

After sitting there for a while (maybe 30 or 40 mins) and trying to contact someone to help. My DW suggested that we just unhook the toad and go get some gas to see if that would allow us to get to a gas station. I said we could do that, but let me try one more time.

The RV started and we drove the last 2.5 miles to Clines Corners. I filled up with gas. The remaining trip went fine and the coach ran as smooth as normal.

I have driven about 2,000 miles since that situation without any further issue, but I have insured that the tank does not get less than 1/2 tank.

You would have to use most of the fuel and drop the tank. You should change out your fuel filter mounted on the drivers side chassis frame rail before doing anything else.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #9

Carolina Campers
Thank you for that suggestion. I did have the fuel filter replaced, along with all the regular service not long before the trip. I don't believe it was related to that. My Dolphin is a 2005, with ~30K. Even with the low mileage, I assume that a fuel pump can fail simply with age. Is 7 or 8 years a reasonable life expectancy for a fuel pump?

Are you saying that this does require you to drop the tank then?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

I don't know the time of year this occurred but same thing happened to me three times over years. Do a search on my name for fuel pumps. There is a fix I've done with WCC tech help and haven't had problem again. Believe or not it is vapor lock at the fuel pump in the tank. My chassis is 2003
Old 09-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
I don't know the time of year this occurred but same thing happened to me three times over years. Do a search on my name for fuel pumps. There is a fix I've done with WCC tech help and haven't had problem again. Believe or not it is vapor lock at the fuel pump in the tank. My chassis is 2003
Workhorse changed the fuel filter in Aug of 2004 (IIRC) to the new style with the T adapter to eliminate potential vapor lock due to the warm fuel returning from the fuel rail.

Fuel Filter up to 2003

Fuel Filter Aug 2004 and up

Of course now that Workhorse is gone and the 3 port filter is not produced any longer you need an adapter and you go back to using the 2003 style filter.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #12

Carolina Campers
Thank you for the help with the fuel filter alteration.

My RV is a 2005, so is the altered fuel filter still relevant?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Thank you for the help with the fuel filter alteration.

My RV is a 2005, so is the altered fuel filter still relevant?
Yes you will need the adapter and the GF481 or GF652 fuel filter. The GF652 is just same as GF481 but costs more.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #14

Carolina Campers
Sorry, guess I misses something, where can I order those parts from?

Tags
chassis, fuel, workhorse