Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2018, 05:08 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
2004 W22 Chevy Workhorse Chassis Rear Ride Height

my 2004 Winn Adv 33V sits on the Chevy Workhorse W22 chassis

The front yellow bumpers are several inches away from making contact w/ the stops. The leaf springs still have a nice curve

The rear yellow suspension bumpers are about 1/2" or less away from the stops. The rear leaf springs are almost flat.

The coach is currently unloaded of all of our normal "stuff" on the inside

The fuel tank is full (75 gal * 9 lb/gal = 675 lbs)

The black and grey tanks are empty

Fresh water is about 1/4 full

The propane is about 1/3 full

The bushings on the rear leaf springs "seem to be" OK. They haven't exploded and show bushing material spewing out the side

The leaf springs themselves look in reasonable condition and aren't rusted and hammered. The black finish / paint is still almost 100% in tact.

I haven't taken it to a scale to get the weight because it has to be stock.

Can the leaf springs be shot w/ no apparent sign of damage?

Any thoughts
dv8longer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2018, 05:34 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Unless one side is leaning, or you can see a visable crack in one of the leaf springs, I would think that your springs are ok.

Just because there is a difference in the space between the rear bump stop and the front, does not mean you have a problem.

How does it ride down the road? Why do you suspect you have a bad leaf spring?

Not sure what you mean by you have to wait for it to be stock to weigh it.

I have a W22 and my front bump stops almost rest on the spring, the rear have about an inch space, it rides great.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:42 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Unless one side is leaning, or you can see a visable crack in one of the leaf springs, I would think that your springs are ok.

Just because there is a difference in the space between the rear bump stop and the front, does not mean you have a problem.

How does it ride down the road? Why do you suspect you have a bad leaf spring?

Not sure what you mean by you have to wait for it to be stock to weigh it.

I have a W22 and my front bump stops almost rest on the spring, the rear have about an inch space, it rides great.
Thank you for the response

What I meant about the weight is that is has to be the stock weight. (The way I wrote it was misleading.)

I don't have a lot of time so going to the scales is just another couple of hour job that is going to produce "stock" numbers (whatever they are)

It doesn't ride great. If I'm driving @ 55 and I go into a down hill gradual turn, it feels like the back of the coach is going to come around and be the front end. It is harrowing.

I've just put new shocks on the rear today and haven't road tested it yet.

I noticed when I was under there, the yellow bumper was very close to the stop

If the ride is still sketchy, I think my next step is probably to put a trak bar in the back. They are so expensive I'd like to avoid that if possible.

When I get on the roof of the coach and get it rocking side to side (sway), I am still getting at least 3 full cycles after I stop rocking. (Even though I have stopped rocking, the coach needs 3 more cycles to stop rocking side to side)

I just ordered front shocks to see if that will reduce the number of cycles.

Thank you for your feedback.
Regards,
Peter
Old 07-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #4

What brand shocks did you order ??
zorro2kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What are your tire pressures set to? Over inflated tires will cause handling problems.

You need to weigh your RV and then set the tire pressure based on the tire manufactures recommendation.

Mine are recommended to be set at 85lb but I run 90 all the way around.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:34 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro2kita View Post
What brand shocks did you order ??
I installed Bilsteins

When I removed the OEM monroe shocks I compressed / extended them.
They made some noise and didn't seem to be smooth and flawless.

I told myself the shocks were bad, hoping the new ones will reduce my tail wag or whatever is going on back there.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:36 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
What are your tire pressures set to? Over inflated tires will cause handling problems.

You need to weigh your RV and then set the tire pressure based on the tire manufactures recommendation.

Mine are recommended to be set at 85lb but I run 90 all the way around.
My tire pressures are set to the recommended pressure which is on the sticker on the drivers door. I don't know the exact pressure right now but it is around 80 - 85 psi.

You do make a good point I should get the weight on the wheels and set the pressure to the manufacturers recommendation.

I just had faith the tire pressures on the door were set in that exact way

Thank you for your response.

Tags
chassis, chevy, w22, workhorse, workhorse chassis