Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2021, 05:54 PM   #1

2005 Dolphin 5355 will not start

2005 Dolphin on Workhorse chassis. When key turned, no dash lights, no starter response, no horn, no headlights, step will not travel in unless activated by rocker switch on panel by steps. Only rocker switch that works on dash is fans.

Already replaced battery, cleaned all battery posts in battery box, tried jumping with cables from Jeep.

Wife started motor this morning - as she always does - to raise jacks. They went up as usual. This was done after slides were drawn in. Engine ran normally, no hesitation at starting. After we got all set and ready to pull out, I tried to start with the aforementioned results. Or, should I say, no results.

Any suggestions or advice will be welcome. Also, are there diagrams to label the fuses in the location in the cowling in front of the steering wheel? Wiring diagrams for the entire electrical system of the Workhorse chassis would be more than welcome.
wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2021, 06:13 PM   #2

On my 2000 Winnebago they put the fuse diagram on the underside of the lift up dash. It is nearly impossible to read and totally impossible if one has any type of glasses. If that is the case then using a cell phone with the camera can help. So far as where yours is I am not sure but it is a place to start.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:22 PM   #3

Thanks, but my diagram is missing - if it was ever on the lid to the fuse compartment.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:26 PM   #4

Is there not a diagram in the owner's book, assuming you have one that is. The first thing I would try is to crawl under the coach and give the starter a love
(or hate) tap while the wife tried to start it. Starters like to just quit out of the blue.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:42 PM   #5

Already tried a love tap.In the morning, will try a hate tap. Wish I dad the owner's book. Any more thoughts? thanks
Old 11-23-2021, 06:58 PM   #6

The only other thing I can think of is a loose connection somewhere and I'm afraid I can't help you much from here. Those things can be very irritating. Thinking while typing is to try wiggling the shift lever while trying. Good luck. I will check in again in the morning.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:06 AM   #7

So after sleeping on it, or perhaps you couldn't sleep, have you found anything? Like I mentioned the gear shift, sometimes a person overlooks the really simple things.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:28 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Check the fuses under the dash 1 by 1 to see if any are blown. In our 04 Winnebago we had a similar issue. It turned out to be a 15 amp fuse. Checked for loose connections under the dash and found the hot lead to the 12v outlet had come out and shorted the ignition fuse.
rlcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:46 PM   #9

Then there is always the issue of electrical ground connections; of which I have read there are many to check, at least on the Workhorse W-chassis. Your 2005 may be a Ford chassis, and I assume one or more bad grounds could create the same sort of problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcpe View Post
Check the fuses under the dash 1 by 1 to see if any are blown. In our 04 Winnebago we had a similar issue. It turned out to be a 15 amp fuse. Checked for loose connections under the dash and found the hot lead to the 12v outlet had come out and shorted the ignition fuse.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:57 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
The horn, and several other circuits mentioned aren't switched devices, meaning they always have power. That rules out the ignition switch. All power does go thru the starter, but there are several fusible links in the circuit. I'd suggest grabbing a meter, and checking for 12 VDC from battery to ground, then from starter to ground, then from fuse panel main power input to ground. If you have it at all 3 places, then sounds like a bad ground.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
Is there not a diagram in the owner's book, assuming you have one that is. The first thing I would try is to crawl under the coach and give the starter a love
(or hate) tap while the wife tried to start it. Starters like to just quit out of the blue.
I'm sure glad I was following this thread! I read this a couple days ago, and today as we were leaving a campground I stopped at the dump station to drain the tanks. Go to restart the engine after dumping and nothing. Thinking it must be the battery I pressed the emergency boost button and still nothing. Meanwhile, I'm blocking the only dump station in the park. Remembering this post I climbed under the moho and gave the starter and solenoid a love tap, not really expecting myself to be so lucky. But IT WORKED!

Also, DW now thinks I'm a genius! So where do I send that beer I owe you, David?

So I guess replacing the starter and solenoid would now be the prudent thing to do?
Old 12-02-2021, 08:15 PM   #12

So where do I send that beer I owe you, David?

Save the beer money for a starter and solenoid. If we were closer I would definitely take you up on it. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:19 AM   #13

I would also check the ignition switch. It is on the steering column down low. search ignition switch for more info . I had a bad switch and motor would not crank to start.
c62250000210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman View Post
2005 Dolphin on Workhorse chassis. When key turned, no dash lights, no starter response, no horn, no headlights, step will not travel in unless activated by rocker switch on panel by steps. Only rocker switch that works on dash is fans.

Already replaced battery, cleaned all battery posts in battery box, tried jumping with cables from Jeep.

Wife started motor this morning - as she always does - to raise jacks. They went up as usual. This was done after slides were drawn in. Engine ran normally, no hesitation at starting. After we got all set and ready to pull out, I tried to start with the aforementioned results. Or, should I say, no results.

Any suggestions or advice will be welcome. Also, are there diagrams to label the fuses in the location in the cowling in front of the steering wheel? Wiring diagrams for the entire electrical system of the Workhorse chassis would be more than welcome.
I finally replaced the starter and all is well. We have continued on our journey. To those who suggested that I look closely at the starter, you were absolutely right..

Tags
dolphin