Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2018, 09:53 PM   #1

2005 w22 Steel wheel

My Newmar has 235/80r 22.5 Mich XRV tires on steel wheels.

I am looking to get a spare and they seem
hard to find ? Any ideas of where to get one, used is fine.

Thanks!
Russ
RMFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2018, 10:16 PM   #2

The wheel and tire combo is over 100 lbs. The chances of you changing without a truck tire service may be slim.

What you can do is keep a tire only with you so you don’t pay 2 arms and a leg for that unique tire size. Get roadside assistance that includes tire repairs and they can mount roadside and you will be on your way.

The other problem is where to put your spare. I have a spot I should be able to fit mine in the basement. Much easier to wrangle without the rim.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:20 PM   #3

Lug nut torque on your W-22 chassis is 450 ftlbs. you need serious equipment to install your own spare.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMFUN View Post
My Newmar has 235/80r 22.5 Mich XRV tires on steel wheels.

I am looking to get a spare and they seem
hard to find ? Any ideas of where to get one, used is fine.

Thanks!
Russ
Most tire shops can find a good used rim for what you're thinking of doing.

I would consider the tire only suggestion especially for weight considerations.

A torque multiplier will satisfy the requirement for handling the torque on the lug nuts, and they don't take up much space.

Now the big question is, do you have the skills and strength to replace a tire on the road???

And in some states, the owner/operator is not allowed by law to change out a tire or wheel on the side of the interstate.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Boy this thread turned into alot of "special snowflake sauce"

OP wanted info on a steel rim, not a bunch of excuses of why he should get not get a steel rim.

I am sure the OP knows how much his tires weight etc...

OP, call around to some local truck shops and give them your rim info, they may have one
Old 07-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Lug nut torque on your W-22 chassis is 450 ftlbs. you need serious equipment to install your own spare.
I wood not consider a torque wrench, "serious equipment"

I bought one for less than $200
Old 07-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #7

Sorry, I did not give more info. I agree with what most people say, and I did not have a spare ( or tire).

I have sold my RV to an out of state buyer that has seen and driven my coach.
He requested that I get a spare tire and rim for him before he picks it up.

235/80r22.5 XRV's seem pricey and hard to get and I have not found the steel wheel yet.

Thanks!
Russ
Old 07-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you tried Ultra RV products? They might steer you in the right direction. You can also try RV wrecking yards like Colaw.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Boy this thread turned into alot of "special snowflake sauce"

OP wanted info on a steel rim, not a bunch of excuses of why he should get not get a steel rim.

I am sure the OP knows how much his tires weight etc...

OP, call around to some local truck shops and give them your rim info, they may have one
Whatever you want to call it....

The point being is often we get an idea in our head to do something, then get half way through the process, spend lots of money and find out it was either impossible or a really bad idea or at the very least started a chain of purchases and then find out you have no hope of lifting the tire onto the hub without putting yourself in the hospital.

Ever had that happen to you? It’s happened to me. I appreciate someone giving the low down on why it might not work out they way I thought it should when I was engineering the project in my mind.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMFUN View Post
Sorry, I did not give more info. I agree with what most people say, and I did not have a spare ( or tire).

I have sold my RV to an out of state buyer that has seen and driven my coach.
He requested that I get a spare tire and rim for him before he picks it up.

235/80r22.5 XRV's seem pricey and hard to get and I have not found the steel wheel yet.

Thanks!
Russ
Russ depending on the manufacturer it likely didn’t have a spare originally. I know I was able to find supporting information that my model never had it as an option from Winnebago. They said people could hurt themselves trying to mount the spare.

If it was never original equipment can they still insist you provide one? Why should you have to give them something that never existed? Unless you already promised then it’s up to you.

Maybe you could pay a year of FMCA membership and roadside.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
Russ depending on the manufacturer it likely didn’t have a spare originally. I know I was able to find supporting information that my model never had it as an option from Winnebago. They said people could hurt themselves trying to mount the spare.

If it was never original equipment can they still insist you provide one? Why should you have to give them something that never existed? Unless you already promised then it’s up to you.

Maybe you could pay a year of FMCA membership and roadside.

My coach did not come with one, but it does have the area and the hardware underneath to install one. The buyer wanted one and asked me to get one for him at his expense. I will discuss it with him and maybe get him to just get a spare tire since that size is hard to find.
Thanks, Russ
Old 07-26-2018, 08:09 PM   #12

RUSS: the 235/80R-22.5 size is exclusive to Michelin, but many, many owners have switched to 245/75R-22.5 size tires that are available from many other brands, and are "almost" identical in size and weight ratings, and are likely much less expensive.

FWIW, I agree that the idea of carrying a mounted spare tire is unnecessary. If space is available, having an unmounted spare is always a good idea, but not likely to be needed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
RUSS: the 235/80R-22.5 size is exclusive to Michelin, but many, many owners have switched to 245/75R-22.5 size tires that are available from many other brands, and are "almost" identical in size and weight ratings, and are likely much less expensive.

FWIW, I agree that the idea of carrying a mounted spare tire is unnecessary. If space is available, having an unmounted spare is always a good idea, but not likely to be needed

Good info, Thanks. Can the 235 and 245 be interchanged, even on the dual rear axle?
Old 07-26-2018, 10:16 PM   #14

That’s cool that there is the space. If it on their dime then so be it.

I would make sure the holder still works. I have a Silverado and Colorado and both spares are stuck due to non use.

Tags
w22