RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2005 W24 Fuel Pump

So I had to drop my fuel tank this week because of a leak from a spot weld. Had the leak welded up and I'm ready to put the tank back in but thought I should change out my fuel pump while I had it out. Fuel pump has been fine running at 60psi under normal load, dropping to around 58psi under a heavy load on my after market fuel pressure gauge. The only reason I'm thinking of replacing it is because of it's age.
The stock pump is a Delphi model #23571178. I used Oemy's site and matched it up to a pump from Mill Supply model #81-891. I confirmed on the Mill Supply web page and via phone that it's a match.
Here's my questions:
Do you guys know the manufacturer of the pump?
Has anyone had any experience with these pumps good or bad?
Am I being to anal looking to replace the OEM pump and should I just keep the Mill pump as a spare?
The tank really wasn't that hard to drop. The hardest part was getting the fuel lines off. The removal tools I had were either to big or to small. Had to adapt the smaller one to make it work.

Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2020, 06:51 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Why don't you call back Mill Supply and ask if they know of the manufacturer?

I bought a spare pump from Wheeler Fleet a couple of years ago, and I just looked up my invoice, I paid around the same price as you, and it says its a Mill Supply part number, same as yours. I did send Wheeler Fleet an email asking the same question you did, and the response was, "I believe it's a Walbro pump"

Walbro pumps are Made in the USA

If I had to drop my tank, and I have a 2005 as well, I would replace the fuel pump too.

I would be interested in some more info on what fuel line disconnect tool you used to take them off the pump. I have 2 different types myself. Are any of these the one you used?
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2020, 07:05 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CJ I used the plastic ones to the right in your picture. I used the smaller light blue one, but I had to cut it in half and then shave it down a little to get it to fit. It was definitely the hardest part of the job.
I will call Mill Supply on Monday but I don't expect much help. When I talked to them Friday it seemed to me the only info they had was what was listed on the website.
I was hoping someone on here had actually replaced their pump with one from Mill and could tell me how its working/holding up.
Does your spare pump have any info enclosed as far as pressure, gallons per hour pumped etc?
Old 02-09-2020, 06:49 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I checked my spare fuel pump, and it does not have any written material with it.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:13 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CJ, Thanks for looking.
When you mentioned Wheeler Supply said it was a Walbro I did some more research. On the Walbro site their replacement pump for the 8.1 lists 62 psi and 20 gph. Almost identical to the OEM pump except OEM puts out 24 gph I believe. That works out to 8 ozs a minute. A negligible difference in my opinion.
I guess I'll put it in and save the old one as a spare.
Called Mill Supply this morning and as I thought, they had no idea who makes the pump and no further info other than what's supplied on their web page.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:20 AM   #6

Tjclarke,

How did you drain your fuel tank?

My tank started leaking at a spot rivet point this fall. I could not get a hose into the tank to siphon the gas (full tank at the time). I was able to drain down to a quarter tank thru the generator fuel line.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:44 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I disconnected the 1 7/8" fuel filler hose from the tank. I then snaked a hose from a cheap HF hand pump down inside the tank. It took a little finagling to get the hose in as there's a plastic butterfly style check valve inside the filler pipe. I was able to get all but a gallon or two out.
Out of curiosity which spot weld was leaking? Drivers side, bottom one towards the front of the tank?
Old 02-10-2020, 12:18 PM   #8

Lower spot weld on the left front baffle was leaking.

Dura- Craft Tanks was the manufacturer. Date of manufacturing was 2/05. 75 gallons

I repaired my tank with an epoxy by QuikSteel. That was done in September about 5,000 miles ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas Tank Spot Weld Leak.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	274800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Repaired before paint.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	274801  

Old 02-10-2020, 12:44 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Same one was leaking mine!
I used a 2 part epoxy that I believe was made by Permatex.
It held up for a little over a year and then started leaking again.
That's when I decided to pull the tank and have it welded and be done with it.
From my research it seams that particular spot weld is a trouble spot.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So I received the new pump today from Mill Supply. It turns out it's a Spectra Premium pump model #SP6764M. It looks like it will be a direct replacement for the original Delphi pump. It's also available on Amazon. I hate to make Jeff Bezos a trillionaire but it's $60 cheaper on Amazon when you factor in free shipping for Prime members.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #11

Just a heads up--Rockauto has this pump for $159.79.
Tom
MoCoTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
Just a heads up--Rockauto has this pump for $159.79.
Tom
That's an awesome price for someone looking to pick one up as a spare pump!
Old 02-11-2020, 06:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjclarke696 View Post
I disconnected the 1 7/8" fuel filler hose from the tank. I then snaked a hose from a cheap HF hand pump down inside the tank. It took a little finagling to get the hose in as there's a plastic butterfly style check valve inside the filler pipe. I was able to get all but a gallon or two out.

Where in the world did you put all that fuel?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:43 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Tjclarke696,

If you have the time, would really like to see some install pics of this, if you can.

How about a picture of the old pump, just to see how it looks.

Thanks

Tags
fuel, fuel pump