Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to KY5Q
2006 Fleetwood Southwind with Chevy Workhorse Wont Crank

I've got a problem. My 2006 Fleetwood Southwind with Chevy Workhorse engine wont crank. I have checked the "Crank" relay in the fuse-holder in the chassis by swapping with the "Back-up" relay of the same type. I have checked all fuses I can find. I am parked on a hill at a distant Walmart where we spent last night with the jacks short in the front and long in the back. I'm fairly large, so when on a creeper, I don't quite fit underneath. I don't know where the starter is (assume bottom of engine, aft end of the engine, but don't really know this). I have no wiring diagram with me, but I do have email and internet. Does this starter have external starter solenoid? Is there a hidden fusible link somewhere? If so, where is it? Any advice would be appreciated. I know the problem is not battery, cables, etc. It is an all-but-new battery with no corrosion, etc. I tried crossover switch to start from coach batteries, as well as a battery eliminator, both with no positive results. Is there a "usual fault" with this RV that causes this problem? I have taken cover off of the steering column, but afraid to cut and hack without really knowing what is connected, where. Thanks
KY5Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
From what I recall it is a common problem some had with the ignition switch..
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:39 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a 2004 Newmar with Workhorse chassis. It had a no crank problem. But it did make solinoid clinking sound when trying to crank. Replaced starter and it took care of problem.
The starter was located on the passenger side and low side of engine. From what I remember solinoid was part of starter. Not hard to replace. There may be some instructions on the internet.
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:41 PM   #4

engine want crank

If the problem is it won,t turn over you might try tapping
on the starter while some one has the key in the starter position. Had that problem awhile back and someone recommended that to me and it got me go

ing. starter had a flat spot on the rortor......

mabry
mabryoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:48 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is that your only problem? Does your dash light up? Do your headlights come on? your Radio?

If everything else is ok, I would look at the base of your steering column. The ignition key turns and a rod that moves an electrical contact across different contact points on the ignition switch at the base of the steering column. Look for big wires and a big connector. Check the connector for burnt terminals.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:04 AM   #6

I'd make sure you're getting 12 volts down to the solenoid. Need two people, one to measure voltage at the starter and one to turn the key. Set the meter to measure dc voltage, red probe to the smaller wire on the solenoid, black probe to ground, while the other person tries to crank the engine. The starter/solenoid is the culprit if you get a 12 volt reading. If no voltage, then the problem is elsewhere. Could be bad battery, ignition switch, park/neutral safety switch, starter relay, or a bad connection.

The starter went out on our Workhorse a couple of years ago. It is under the engine and is easy to remove and replace, if you can get under the rig. The removal of two wires and two bolts are all that's needed to get the starter out. I opted to get mine rebuilt and it's worked great so far.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to KY5Q
Thanks to all for the ideas. I ended up taking the shroud off the steering column. Not sure if that "fixed" it or not, but it started working. Started the rig and kept it running till I hit home base, level ground, and a place to do a proper diagnosis. Theory is that maybe the shifter linkage is slightly out of alignment and when I poked and prodded the various bundles and cables, maybe I moved something to a more desirable position. I also had to relocate the cable traversing the front of the chassis fuse / relay box when I checked the fuses and relays. Maybe that cable was the shifter cable (not sure yet). I hate intermittent problems. It was dead as a hammer for 6 hours, until roadside assistance was dispatched later that day. Then it started working. Of course.
KY5Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
southwind, fleetwood, workhorse, chevy