Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2022, 09:38 AM   #1

2006 Itasca Suncruise w24 chassis and engine upgrades?

Just put some Koni shocks on my 2006 Winni with the W24 chassis. Big differance. Rides a lot better then it did with the Bilisteins. Now I need to do something to the engine. This is my first motorhome with the Workhorse chassis W24 Chevy 8.1L Allison 6 speed and it seems like a dog to me. Had may F53 Ford V10 in the past. What can be done to upgrade the engine preformance? I added Ultra RV sparkplug wires and new plugs and It really didn't do anything. What's need?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2022, 11:51 AM   #2

Just did the UltraPower engine and transmission upgrade to ours - then took a 2500 mile trip from North Texas to Hebron, UT and back.

Definite difference in power and shifting!

I put Bilsteins on the coach when we bought it last year. Before leaving on the trip, I replaced the jounce bumpers on the 4 corners with Sumo’s, and added Ultra’s rear track bar.

Prior to the UltraPower and suspension changes, we pulled an ‘03 Jeep TJ at 4350#’s. We traded it for a ‘18 Jeep JK at 5400#’s on Memorial Day.
Previously, I knew when trucks or other large vehicles were passing me. I could barely tell after the chassis changes, and mountain driving with the engine/tranny upgrades were much easier than our prior experience of North Texas to Kerrville, TX.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:35 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
I have Banks headers and Ultrapower. I've had UP tune since 2006. When I added the Banks in 2015 I noticed more torque, better pulling power holding the gear longer before downshifting.
Plus with Banks headers you won't have to worry about cracked exhaust manifold, which is fairly common.

Happy Trails,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:24 AM   #4

Mods

UltraPower ECM - made a world of difference, however still backfired now and then, especially under full throttle.

Added Iridium plugs and Magnum plug wires - zero backfiring since. Coach is a lot more fun to drive.

Safe T Plus - straightforward installation that reduced truck/crosswind buffeting significantly.

Front end felt like a tire was out of balance. Michelin was splitting in half. New Toyos on front - smooth sailing since.

Next up: Koni FSD shocks and either a sway bar or track bar (or both) on rear end. Not sure - still doing research. Goal is to eliminate mid corner steering corrections due to chassis flex (or whatever it is LOL!)

Feel free to chime in if you have any input.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 10:52 AM   #5

Depending on your mechanical skill.. biggest bang for buck.. is in camshaft.. Chevy is know for it's revision and retarded timing built into camshaft.. ofcouse lifters too.. that is where the heart of power is to be made.. also cdi ..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 08-26-2022, 10:31 PM   #6

Update

I opted for the track bar - one step at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
UltraPower ECM - made a world of difference, however still backfired now and then, especially under full throttle.

Added Iridium plugs and Magnum plug wires - zero backfiring since. Coach is a lot more fun to drive.

Safe T Plus - straightforward installation that reduced truck/crosswind buffeting significantly.

Front end felt like a tire was out of balance. Michelin was splitting in half. New Toyos on front - smooth sailing since.

Next up: Koni FSD shocks and either a sway bar or track bar (or both) on rear end. Not sure - still doing research. Goal is to eliminate mid corner steering corrections due to chassis flex (or whatever it is LOL!)

Old 08-27-2022, 03:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

You shouldn’t be backfiring. I’m inclined to say you might have a cam or crank-shaft sensor issue that needs to be taken care of.
Put a OBDII scanner on it and check for codes. Start a new thread to get the problem resolved.
Backfiring is hard on an engine.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:51 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
You shouldn’t be backfiring. I’m inclined to say you might have a cam or crank-shaft sensor issue that needs to be taken care of.
Put a OBDII scanner on it and check for codes. Start a new thread to get the problem resolved.
Backfiring is hard on an engine.
I'd put my money on a burnt spark plug wire causing the misfire (what Ghost calls backfire). This issue goes away with new wires. With Magnum wires it should be permanent solution, which is what he did.

On my coach I had burnt wires the 2nd year and then when it occurred again, Workhorse installed the vent kit under warranty. When the Magnums became available I installed them (2010?) and haven't had any issues since.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 09:26 AM   #9

The Magnum wires and Iridium spark plugs solved the misfiring. Rig runs very well now
Old 08-28-2022, 09:46 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I put the complete Banks intake/exhaust system on our W24, including the tuner kit. BIG power increase, but by using the power, the mileage is still the same.

I went back to the stock air filter after the K&N let enough oil past to foul my MAF sensor!

As far as the ride, it's pretty good stock with 6+ degrees of castor.

I did make up and add a rear panhard rod, but it really didn't do much.

I also added a steering stabilizer.

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, engine, itasca, upgrade, upgrades