RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2020, 10:19 PM   #1

2006 w24 chassis front wet bearing cover

Does anyone know the torque spec for the front wet bearing cover bolts? There are 4 bolts

TY

lorozco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 07:57 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had this same question last year. I couldn't find an answer so I can't answer your question directly but I can tell you how I did mine.

I rotated the hub so the bolt holes were located so that any lube seeping out would not get into the bolt hole. I then used brake parts cleaner to thoroughly clean all lubricant in the bolt holes and on the bolts. I applied LocTite Blue liberally to the bolts, positioned the bearing cover, installed the bolts and tightened them tight but not too tight.

For the record a standard 8mm bolt torque is nominally 20 ft/lbs. My thought was 20 ft/lbs might be too much and cause the plastic bearing cover to warp.

If I remember correctly the bearing cover has metal sleeves in the bolt holes that would tend to reduce any warpage...maybe 20 ft/lbs is the right answer. Keep in mind that there is no mechanical stress on this part. It is just needed to hold the cover on. The LocTite helps insure that it does't loosen. Specific torque to guarantee that mechanical strength is maintained is different than if you were bolting an engine together.

I've run about 5K miles since installing the bearing covers...no leaks!

I hope my ramblings have been helpful.

Old 07-01-2020, 04:34 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply.

I looked all over for an actual torque spec, and found nothing. Eventually, I looked at a general torque spec table for 5/16 bolt -18 TPI, and used that spec. The spec is 17 FTLBS. Filled it with oil, and I will hope for the best.

Again, thank you!
lorozco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
per workhorse manual 13nm or 115 in-lb

Tags
chassis, cover