Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2022, 01:53 PM   #1

2008 Winnebago Destination Workhorse R26

My 2008 Winnebago Destination gas pusher Workhorse R26 UFO has been in the shop since May 2022 waiting on a part HCU-ECU PART NUMBER W8007414 ELECTRONIC BRAKE MODULE, special order on workhorse parts. I HAVE BEEN TOLD MULTIPLE TIMES THE PART WOILL BE IN NEXT MONTH. If anybody knows how to get this part or knows anyway to repair the existing one please let me know. I understand this is a common problem and Winnebago should be held accountable. My RV has less than 10,000 miles. We purchased it in 2010 new and due to life circumstances it was not driven for 3+ years and that seems to be from what I've read caused the problem.
Helen P is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2022, 04:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen P View Post
My 2008 Winnebago Destination gas pusher Workhorse R26 UFO has been in the shop since May 2022 waiting on a part HCU-ECU PART NUMBER W8007414 ELECTRONIC BRAKE MODULE, special order on workhorse parts. I HAVE BEEN TOLD MULTIPLE TIMES THE PART WOILL BE IN NEXT MONTH. If anybody knows how to get this part or knows anyway to repair the existing one please let me know. I understand this is a common problem and Winnebago should be held accountable. My RV has less than 10,000 miles. We purchased it in 2010 new and due to life circumstances it was not driven for 3+ years and that seems to be from what I've read caused the problem.
HELE: Welcome to iRV2.com You will find lots of threads about your problem. One that MAY be of interest is HERE: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/2008...-a-222780.html
I suggest you look thru it and read the detailed posts by "gbs230" (or something close to that) to see what he did.

Unfortunately , there may be NO good news about your situation. I think there was a more recent discussion on the subject that one of the true EXPERTS on WCC parts addressed the lack of availability. I didn't find that thread, but believe you can get current factual info about the problem by contacting JON BRAZEL at www.urvp.com . He MAY not have a solution for you, but I believe he will give you an honest appraisal of the situation.

Please come back and let us know of ANY progress you and your dealer make to resolve the problem. Good Luck! Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 01:56 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
Brake module

Have you tried Flight Systems to repair your existing Module? They do repair /rebuild on many electronic components. I believe they are in Pennsylvania,
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 02:21 PM   #4

Helen P: I found the thread I referenced in my earlier reply to your 1st post. The answers Jon provided are found in his post # 8 in this thread:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/woul...ay-595753.html

SAD SITUATION for R-26 "UFO" owners. :(
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 02:50 PM   #5

The only thing I can think of is to start calling some of the RV salvage yards found on the web to see if a used part was available.

The $5k price tag for a part that isn't even available got my redneck mind to wondering how hard it would be, and not illegal, to modify the oem braking system? In this case, bypassing the EBM altogether? Fluid from the Hydro-boost reservoir, if that's what's on a UFO, would head straight to the calipers. No anti-lock or traction control but you'd have brakes.

Ok, not a smart move,,, but it wouldn't surprise me to find it's been done!
Old 01-24-2023, 09:18 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good Evening Helen P;

Not sure you have resolved your issues or not, but here are my thoughts.

I have owned a UFO for 15 years and it is a really fun coach most of the time. Notice I said most.

Not sure if your techs have used the Wabco Toolbox software to analyze your problem or not but it should tell them something and it may be the ECU has a fault.

However, if the coach has been sitting for 3 years, may I suggest you may want to have them flush the brake system and then see if you problem is resolved.

I have had 2 HCU's installed, one in 2010 and the other in 2015. The latter would throw ABS, ATC and Hydraulic system failure, but the coach was still drivable.

I just had the same symptoms and decide to have the brake system flushed for $300 instead of a new HCU for $6000 if I could get one. After flush, no alarms and the system is rock solid.

Best of luck and Regards

Lash

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago, workhorse