RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #1

400 pound tongue weight limit

I have a 2002 Winnebago Sightseer 27c on the 14,800 P32 Workhorse Chassis with the narrow front. The tow rating is 4,000 pounds with 400 pounds dead weight. I want to mount a 380 pound motorcycle with a 60 pound carrier that will be 40 pounds over maximum. The hitch itself looks to be a 500/5000 hitch. The limitation is the MH. As long as I didn't exceed the rear axle capacity, does this sound like something that is doable? I was just going to run with 1/4 tank of water and keep the holding tanks empty.

Does this sound doable?

My other option would be to put a carrier on the front. I would have to get that done custom, and might have to replace my new fixed weight front springs, depending how it weighed out.

I have just about every handling add on available including rear track bar, poly sway bar bushings front and rear, and Sumo springs in the rear.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2020, 04:34 PM   #2

Most times the weight limit on the hitch is due to the chassis rail extensions, that its mounted to, not being strong enough to support more weight.

Take a look and see if the chassis had been extended beyond original.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I would be a little leary of putting that much weight on the hitch.

That 400 pounds is for a trailer hitch at the ball.

Put your hand out in front of you with your elbow against your side. Imagine your arm is the hitch, put your weight close to the elbow, and you can hold quite a bit. But, put that same weight out at your hand and see how little you can hold.

That's just what the weight of your bike out on a carrier will be like.

I would recomend a small trailer for the bike. Something like this.....

https://ca.stingertrailer.com/produc...lding-trailer/
Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:58 PM   #4

I have a 2003 Itasca 27C riding on the 15,000 lb chassis. It too has the 5000 lb hitch but, there's also the Winnebago sticker showing vertical load maximum at 350 lbs. Seems a little odd that it would be less than the OP's but I'm sure he's getting the 400 from the Winnebago sticker as well. Of course, stating this doesn't help the OP any, I just found it interesting.

My opinion is that I would not want to cut it that close. Running down the road with that much solid weight bouncing up and down is sure to cause a bit of strain to the back end of the motorhome. It'd be nice not to have to trailer the bike but that might be the better option.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:16 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Another option.......

Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
... I want to mount a 380 pound motorcycle with a 60 pound carrier that will be 40 pounds over maximum. ... The limitation is the MH. As long as I didn't exceed the rear axle capacity, does this sound like something that is doable? I was just going to run with 1/4 tank of water and keep the holding tanks empty.
Does this sound doable?

No. I can't recommend going down the highway, exceeding a maximum weight rating. If there is a mishap, you will have a bad day, and a lawyer will have a field day. All the best.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:42 AM   #7

This one has a hitch on the front, so I know it can be done.

I've got a Rampfree trailer, but the shorter length would be nice. Not sure it be worth all the hassle.

Untitled by jspringator, on Flickr
Old 10-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #8

I had the receiver replaced on my motorhome to do exactly that BUT, the frame on my rig is such that it is ok. One important thing to note is you must calculate the added weight figuring the effect of the overhang behind the back axle. Even with the new receiver I now have, and a lift rated at 1000lbs, my touring Harley was too heavy so I had to downsize to a lighter bike.

Grab a measuring tape and fill out the form here and you'll get the true load on your axle. Remember, more weight on the back means less on the front axle which can change steering geometry and handling. My rig became more "bouncy" in the front, but I was able to mostly counteract that tendency by moving all my heavy items in the storage compartment to the front.

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/...%20Rev%203.pdf

Along with a motorcycle specific trailer, you could go with one of these: https://www.cruiserlifts.com/collect...nsport-systems

Prior to going with a lift, I transported the bike in a cargo trailer. I'd be still doing so except my wife had the realization that when we took off full timing, if something happened to me, she'd be stuck because she can't ride a bike or drive the motorhome, so we needed a toad too. The great ting about a covered trailer is the bike is kept clean, you have an enclosed "garage" for maintenance, and it can carry other stuff.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tongue weight, weight