Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2022, 02:36 PM   #1

454ci 4bbl carb no start

Hi ya'all looking for someone with more knowledge than myself about mechanicing,I'm not a total lame but by no means a mechanic.
That being said I can't keep replacing stuff not knowing what the problem is.A diagnosis is what I need, let me tell you what is going on.
The Rig was running fine till it wasn't, I mean it's always had a very slight hesitation when starting,but then it would fire right up. Where I'm staying I only gotta start it and move it,every 72 hours so I don't get tickets.
Anyway like I was saying b4 the rig has always started and ran fine,till about a month ago I had to get a smog test so I could get the new tags,when I got to the smog test place I turned rig off while I waited for my turn.
Well smog guy came over and told me start it up & leav it running, so I tried to start it and nothing, tried jumping it and nothing,I couldn't get a tow truck for quite awhile so I ended up putting charger on battery over night while doing that I tried putting charger on 50amp setting to try jumping it a few times and it started to turn over but stopped before it even got half way.
Anyway it was something but still not starting, so I replaced starter &tried again,no go,tried jumping it no go.Next day my friend let me use his battery out of his step van, we ended up having to jump it but got it running so I could get the hell out of smog shops parking lot ,and back a couple miles to where I stay at.
I turned it off so I could give my friend back his battery,but b4 I gave it back I tried starting it again and no go, and it hasn't started again even after I got a new battery, mine was over 4 years old.
So incase you couldn't tell I'm pretty desperate to get pointed in right direction and get it fixed
Thanks 4 LQQKIN
Judys B Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2022, 03:40 PM   #2

Keep checking for bad cable ends and poor ground connections.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:21 PM   #3

Remove all the battery connections and clean them. Nice and clean. Do 1 at a time.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System G-Man 360 generator man (PM me)
1972VWbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 09:16 PM   #4

not motorhome related but.recently my 07 suburban developed a weird issue.when taking off from a stop the doors would lock.and it happened at every stop sign.fought it for a couple weeks.took batt cables off and cleaned and grounds and cured the problem...for about 3 days.then started doing it again.got on a suburban forum and there were others that had the issue.cure:replace both battery cables.so i did and it cured the problem.turns out when the factory crimps the cables ends they are prone to corrosion under the insulation which you can't see.so it might be worth replacing the whole cables.also don't forget the ground straps from the frame to the engine.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 10:27 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When this happens
1) move gear selector from park to low and back to park ( the neutral safety switch with stop the starter from engaging...
2) If the starter is turning the engine but not firing up. Look at the HEI module under the distributor cap..
3) Fuel delivery after that...
4) If battery and starter are "new" rebuilt Look for corroded cables if all ok go back to the new starter as they can be bad out of the box... its the world we live in now

Cheers
Old 10-09-2022, 07:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandoo62 View Post
not motorhome related but.recently my 07 suburban developed a weird issue.when taking off from a stop the doors would lock.and it happened at every stop sign.fought it for a couple weeks.took batt cables off and cleaned and grounds and cured the problem...for about 3 days.then started doing it again.got on a suburban forum and there were others that had the issue.cure:replace both battery cables.so i did and it cured the problem.turns out when the factory crimps the cables ends they are prone to corrosion under the insulation which you can't see.so it might be worth replacing the whole cables.also don't forget the ground straps from the frame to the engine.
Your Driver Information Center contains the settings for Auto-Door Lock. They are Lock when shifting out of Park, Lock at speed and no change/keep setting.
Old 10-09-2022, 07:20 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
You may have multi issues,, all electrical.. bad cables/connections.. then poor charging..
You have a new battery, charge it over night, then change battery cables,,

old stuff can corrode inside for inches down either end of cables..

or if you are savy and/or brave. take a set of jumper cables to bypass the rvs cables as a test,, see if it starts..

Also a Nuetral safety switch can be messing with you..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Your Driver Information Center contains the settings for Auto-Door Lock. They are Lock when shifting out of Park, Lock at speed and no change/keep setting.
yes it does.it is set to lock at 10 mph,but when it was doing this it did it everytime it hit 10 mph,not just the first time,and it also killed the gauge cluster.evidently its a common issue for the cables to fail.
Old 04-01-2023, 02:23 PM   #9

did you get it fixed?
Old 04-02-2023, 10:15 AM   #10

as for my suburban.well i hope so.after numerous attempts i believe it was the body control module.replaced it yesterday and so far so good.

Tags
454, no start