Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #1

8.1 Engine Headers

I was talking with an motorhome owner and he was saying the headers on this engine burnout about every couple years. Just wanting to know if this is a problem with these because they run so hot.
He also stated the cabin also gets hot from this too.
old40car is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Haven't heard of headers burning out but the gaskets have been known to.
Had the passenger side manifold remounted because of blown gasket.
If I still had the W-22 and had to do other side might have looked into Bank headers that Brazels in Wash State has shown on their web site, than you would not have to worry about them.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have had ours for 3 years, if your on the road and pull over then the heat will come in through the metal. Otherwise no issues at all..... Including headers, it's a great engine.
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had exhaust manifold problems twice on my 8.1 with 80,000 miles on it.

I'm going to aftermarket headers the next time problems pop up.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #5

I have fulltimed with two gassers, each with Banks system including headers. My 1997 Itasca 460 Ford, no problems but lots of heat on MH floor. My 2007 8.1 Newmar no problems and no heat on MH floor when driving. Banks headers have served me well on V-8 gas engines.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:35 AM   #6

I have already decided that if the exhaust manifold ever has to come off for some reason, the Banks headers will go on instead.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 8.1 has stainless steel exhaust manifolds and in 10 years of full timing I have never heard of a manifold burning out.
That doesn't mean a gasket problem has never occurred with one but it sure isn't the problem the guy claimed.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
The 8.1 has stainless steel exhaust manifolds and in 10 years of full timing I have never heard of a manifold burning out.
That doesn't mean a gasket problem has never occurred with one but it sure isn't the problem the guy claimed.
I had one exhaust manifold replaced a couple months ago. It was cracked and caused a sound that made you thing a rod was knocking very loud for the first 10 minutes it was running.

I thought my engine was toast. Quiet as a church mouse now with new manifold.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My manifold warped and broke a couple bolts off in the head in the process. Had Brazels put Banks headers with 5/8" forged stainless steel flanges on, and have not worried since. Major upgrade to 8.1L engine in both performance and trouble free operation. I am not a big fan of headers on cars (I am a muscle car freak), but this is a well needed item for these motor homes. They aren't cheap, but what isn't on these things.
gunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:48 PM   #10

i have some stock part numbers that you can order in some of my videos that if you have the older 2001 2002 03 that you can update to the newer year units that came out latter in the SUVs that fixs alot of this

if you say look at any 2004 05 06 07 08 ...8.1l you well see the newer stock parts
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
i have some stock part numbers that you can order in some of my videos that if you have the older 2001 2002 03 that you can update to the newer year units that came out latter in the SUVs that fixs alot of this

if you say look at any 2004 05 06 07 08 ...8.1l you well see the newer stock parts
Looks like your headers got so hot that it melted the front of your motorhome.
38G Winnebago/W22/ 8.1/ Banks Cai /Doug's headers/Air Lift/ Front&Rear Tracbars/ Jeep Wrangler Toad/Master GM Tech/Custom Tuning And Calibrating https://www.facebook.com/whitehorsetuningandcalibrating
Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
I have fulltimed with two gassers, each with Banks system including headers. My 1997 Itasca 460 Ford, no problems but lots of heat on MH floor. My 2007 8.1 Newmar no problems and no heat on MH floor when driving. Banks headers have served me well on V-8 gas engines.
George, I recently added the Banks Stinger system to a 2008 W-22. This does not include the headers as Banks said the newer workhorse's 8.1's had a good header system that did not gain much by replacing. I do not know what year Workhorse updated their exhaust manifold but apparently have. The Stinger system was a complete exhaust system bolting to the stock headers as well as an upgrade kit to open up the mass air intake system and a computer that reprograms the engine. I picked up quite a bit of noticeable power and better fuel mileage, now about 8.5 mpg at 65-70.

My question to you, did your system include the intake mods? I ask this as I am getting a lot of intake noise when it is under full power (rare but very loud when floored) and I am working on adding soundproofing. I am also an old muscle car guy and the sound is almost like a multi-carb system kicking in with little or no air cleaner blocking the rush of air into the engine. I have added complete Banks systems on 2 other coaches and had a 460 that probably picked up the most added HP but never had an intake noise issue like this.

Thanks,

Scott
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I modified my intake plumbing (tuba), by shortening the length of it and relocating its flaired scoop opening lower, at the grill level. Noticeable noise now occurs at full throttle. I am sure the odd and long shape of the original "tuba" design included noise reduction.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
George, I recently added the Banks Stinger system to a 2008 W-22. This does not include the headers as Banks said the newer workhorse's 8.1's had a good header system that did not gain much by replacing. I do not know what year Workhorse updated their exhaust manifold but apparently have. The Stinger system was a complete exhaust system bolting to the stock headers as well as an upgrade kit to open up the mass air intake system and a computer that reprograms the engine. I picked up quite a bit of noticeable power and better fuel mileage, now about 8.5 mpg at 65-70.

My question to you, did your system include the intake mods? I ask this as I am getting a lot of intake noise when it is under full power (rare but very loud when floored) and I am working on adding soundproofing. I am also an old muscle car guy and the sound is almost like a multi-carb system kicking in with little or no air cleaner blocking the rush of air into the engine. I have added complete Banks systems on 2 other coaches and had a 460 that probably picked up the most added HP but never had an intake noise issue like this.

Thanks,

Scott
Yes Scott, my current MH has the complete Banks System including intake mods. I do not have a problem with noise, except for the times the clutch fan is engaged. Due to the fact I do not have any heat through the cockpit floor, I presume it is well insulated and sound proofed.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine