Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2008, 03:25 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
my engine has not been over 4500 rpm. I get out of the throttle and slow down.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2008, 03:57 AM   #16

Lets see #7 cylinder no compression and banged up spark plug. I would say one of the valves let loose. Probably needs new head and piston.
After i purchased my used Winne with 454 did a compression check and found cylinders 6 &8 with no compression, ended up being blown head gasket. Did the work myself, cost just over $200 for a company to do a valve job and gaskets required. She purrs like a kitten now.
1995Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:20 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
mfire1339, Very sorry to hear about your engine going bad. Diver is right, that it comes out the bottom. We had a engine go bad in our last coach a 06 Monarch with a Ford. It took Sanderson Ford in Glendale, AZ. eight hours to make the change. At let's say $1000. labor you would be able to buy a crate motor from GM for far less than $10000., I think you should call around to another Dealer and check prices. A tow to somewhere else can't cost that much. Just my two cents. I hope it works out for you.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:46 AM   #18
Official iRV2 Sponsor

mfire,

Is your engine stock or have you had mods done to it??
Old 07-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bob,

As others have said, you have a huge and unusual problem. My '02 Itasca hasn't been below 3000' for 2+ months and a couple thousand miles. In fact, I would guess 50+% of my miles have been above 3000'. I have no problem running 65 altho my normal speed is 60. Plenty of power and currently averaging 7.3+ MPG over 50,000 miles.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:27 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Steve (Brazels) I will check the wires, I changed the fuel filter last year, got it from you guys (via UPS), I haven't checked fuel pressure as yet. I'm traveling right now, were in Salt Lake City. Maybe I'll get a set of wires see if that makes any difference. The engine sounds fine, I don't get any misfires that I've noticed.

[QUOTE]Hamguy... My '02 Itasca hasn't been below 3000'.QUOTE]

Hamguy, what is your loaded weight with your toad? I'm just under the 26,000 max GCVW at 25,195 lbs. This weight includes no more then a 1/4 tank of fresh water and traveling w/empty holding tanks.

I've checked and made sure I don't have anything wrong with respect to brakes dragging, proper tire pressure, etc. This coach is a triple slide, and in my words very heavy. It seems to do okay, even in the higher elevations if it's level, and of course no strong headwind or sidewinds. Either will slow me to a crawl. I do get between 6.5 and 7 mpg, except when bucking a headwind, then it drops to 4.5 to 5 mpg. I was going up a steep hill just east of Salt Lake City on I-80 and the rig slowed to 34 mph and I had nothing left, no more gears and engine screaming at 4500 rpm.

So I'm hoping you guys are right and that I do have something wrong. Even though I've never experienced anything definite that would indicate a problem other then the power.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:57 AM   #21

Bob, everything in your post about your engine sounds just like the engine that I have. I see nothing wrong here. I have the wires, UP and re-gapped plugs and the engine does struggle in these high altitudes....Same mileage before and after the UP also....actually my mileage has gone down recently to 6.4 - 6.5 mpg on our last 1,800 mile trip.

I'm right up against the GCWR as you are....

Last year, I reported my performance to Brazels and the only thing they offered was to check the fuel pressure. If you know how to do this, I would appreciate finding out.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Bob,

I have the W22 Chassis and it is running 21700 +/-. My toad is a '01 Maxima, GVWR 4300 # and it is loaded with 'stuff' so that 4000# is pretty close. In addition, I have 19.5 wheels.

We ran from Salt Lake City to the Tetons/Jackson and got 7.45MPG. We do slow to 35-45 in steep grades but 60-65 on the level is a piece 'o cake.

I have been on 7% grades w/ some headwind (in the rain) and had to slow to 35MPH but had some RPM left.

Oh, BTW, I do have an exhaust leak noticable due to the ticking noise under load.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:44 AM   #23
Official iRV2 Sponsor

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Last year, I reported my performance to Brazels and the only thing they offered was to check the fuel pressure. If you know how to do this, I would appreciate finding out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Bob just made an appointment for wednesday morning,so we WILL figure it out
Old 07-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #24

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Hamguy,

Get that exhaust leak checked/fixed. It could effect your performance and fuel mileage as the O2 sensor may be seeing a lean condition on 1 side and will try to compensate for it.

Drop Steve Brazel a note and he will fill you in on the technical details.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:42 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy OEMTECH.

Problem is my mileage has gone from 7.2 to 7.6 since the leak started. But, when I get back to Mesa, I will get it checked. Any idea about $$?

Thanks,

Dean

Old 07-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Depends on the where the leak is.... If it is a manifold it could be expensive. But, then there were some problems with leaky manifolds and maybe you can work something with Workhorse.

Me, I would do it myself. But, be sure you soak the manifold bolts with Kroil with a couple of heat cycles between soakings.

If you have it done, get it in writing that they are responsible for broken stud repair.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
If you have it done, get it in writing that they are responsible for broken stud repair. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I had my exhaust manifold gasket replaced. The mechanic broke 2 studs. The option was to continue to run with a hole in the gasket or repair the hole.

It will be difficult if not impossible to get a repair facility to assume the liability in the event a fastener breaks.

In my case an expert 3rd party was called in with a special jig to remove the broken manifold studs.

Now check this out, the guy was commissioned to remove 2 studs but only removed 1. He had to return the following week and setup the machine again and remove the 2nd stud on his dime.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #28
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Had a manifold leak with 3 broken bolts 1 1/2 year ago. Had Brazels install Banks Torque tubes. Because there was a groove burned in the head, they had to use a gasket on the one side. I didn't want to have to get it repaired again since there are no repair centers in central B.C.
I have been very happy. The enging runs "freeier" at 60-75 mph and is cooler under the hood - using a infrared sensor.
Milage is the same .