Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2022, 11:14 AM   #1

8.1 RV vs Truck Differences

What are the real differences between a 8.1 in a class A vs a GM Truck? Is it internal or external. I know some 2003 have a manual xmsn and others are allison automatic. Please be specific as you can or show me a spec sheet. Is there a in-depth service manual and parts manuals available. I have found several 8.1 but most say not for RV applications. If you can please explain.
fayjim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2022, 01:47 PM   #2

A start might would be here - workhorse.navistar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=574 for MoHo’s.

But I highly doubt there is anything different internally between truck and MoHo use.

This site might also give you some insight - it appears most differences are external to affect interchangeability - https://ck5.com/forums/threads/l18-8...thread.308019/
Old 09-29-2022, 08:06 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
MrMark (great name) thanks for the excellent link. What a great reference for the 8.1L.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:38 AM   #4

Could you be specific about this 8.1 reference material?
Old 09-29-2022, 01:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayjim2 View Post
Could you be specific about this 8.1 reference material?
What are you asking? About my first reference document, or my 2nd? Or something altogether different?
Old 09-30-2022, 09:59 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
I posted the entire Workhorse Service Manual on my website: HERE
You can view and download the files but be aware that some of the files are huge.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 11:16 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Doesn't appear to be publicly accessible:

403. That’s an error.

We're sorry, but you do not have access to this page. That’s all we know.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 02:57 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
I posted the entire Workhorse Service Manual on my website: HERE
You can view and download the files but be aware that some of the files are huge.
Ok, you should be good to go. I gave the Workhorse folder public access in my Google Drive account. My wife was able to open files now. Anybody with the link can open the files. I just created this website since the old google sites was shut down a year or two ago.
Happy Trails,
Bill
Old 10-01-2022, 09:49 AM   #9

Duner

I.m no computer person. When I tried to open it said it was to large to view,if you have a suggestion please tell me. Is there a way to just have the 2003 engine section. Thanks jim
Old 10-01-2022, 11:18 AM   #10

If I were you.. i would get block numbers off pass side top of block.. and then find the generation of block you have.. after your own research you may find.. that as long as the yrs that generation of block was used they will all fit.. then you use your stock rv ecm and top end hardware.. great resources would be local library and gm/Chevy big blocks.. as long as you stay wih in generation of block you have.. it will fit fine.. yes Chevy changes programming of ecm to match rv versus truck but blocks are same.. as long as generation is same.. that is just imho.. if you are still looking for answers.. suggest you hit the local library on gm/Chevy engines..
Ofcouse there is the labor to deal with.. it's way more than price of engine.. then the emotions if you plan to keep rv..
Another idea.. might be.. ask shop. If they have local engine rebuilders they use.. and having rebuilt locally..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-01-2022, 11:25 AM   #11

Oh.. I should have suggest you talk to several salvage yards.. these people are often overlooked.. but if you are kind.. and take in some food.. you may be surprised at the information they have.. they really are good people and smart..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-01-2022, 02:01 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayjim2 View Post
I.m no computer person. When I tried to open it said it was to large to view,if you have a suggestion please tell me. Is there a way to just have the 2003 engine section. Thanks jim
It would be a lot of work to sort out just the engine info.
Instead of viewing in your browser, select download. Depending on your internet speed, it could take a couple of minutes or hours. Start the download of the one really big main file and then go do something else if it's going to take an hour or more. But once it's downloaded, then use Adobe Reader to open the file and you're good to go.
Here's a view of the file sizes so you know how much you're trying to download.
All the electrical documents are less than 3 meg, so there should be no problems there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-10-01 115105.png
Views:	10
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	377734