Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got up today,early-- 4am, got Cindy going early too . We were leaving Bedford Mass (Boston Area) to get to Mid- New Jersey and avoid peak travel times in Boston, Hartford, and the entire New York, New Jersey area. Got everything done, Jacks up, Parking brake released, toad hooked up and ready to go. I turned the ignition to start and nothing happened-- absoutlely nothing, other than lights on the panel coming on. I tried using the "boost" switch-- nothing!
Got my volt meter and checked battery voltage--12.8 Volts. Jacked the rig back up,Cawled under it and had Cindy move the ignition switch to "start". Still nothing. I had 12.8 volts on the hot wire.I couldn't short the two solenoid terminals because of tight quarters and a heat shield on the starter. So, I dropped the starter, grounded it to the frame with battery jumper cables and then shorted out the terminals-- Walla- The beast spun right up. Now I'm off to the local parts store- Got there before he opened the doors. I said is there a Starter/alternator repair shop nearby-- of course, he didn't know of one. He pulls an exact duplicate of mine off the shelf--I said I only need the solenoid-- how much for the complete unit-- he said "a couple hundred bucks"! Well, I just had put one on in Maine for a fellow Camper in his 3/4 ton Chevy, 5.7 Vortac, about 3 weeks ago. He bought the complete unit for $160, exchange, at Car Quest. So I asked him if he had a solenoid for one and he said we used to sell them but usually now we just do the whole starter deal. I asked him to look, and he said I only have one for the 5.7 engine. Bring it out-- an exact match! Now I need a special #6 Torx bit to remove the heat shield and the solenoid itself. I bought one but had to grind it down because of clearance problems. Fortunately, I travel with a small machine shop with me (I do maintenance work at the campground in Maine). For $72 bucks all was well again.

Morale of the story--

1-I can only be thankful it didn't happen at my first planned refueling stop on the Mass Turnpike-- stuck at a fueling island.

2- Since I've been involved with two identical failures of these solenoids recently, I thought I would tell you Guys and Gals about it.

We got going at 10:30am and into central New Jersey at 4:15pm-- not too bad considering the unscheduled delay
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got up today,early-- 4am, got Cindy going early too . We were leaving Bedford Mass (Boston Area) to get to Mid- New Jersey and avoid peak travel times in Boston, Hartford, and the entire New York, New Jersey area. Got everything done, Jacks up, Parking brake released, toad hooked up and ready to go. I turned the ignition to start and nothing happened-- absoutlely nothing, other than lights on the panel coming on. I tried using the "boost" switch-- nothing!
Got my volt meter and checked battery voltage--12.8 Volts. Jacked the rig back up,Cawled under it and had Cindy move the ignition switch to "start". Still nothing. I had 12.8 volts on the hot wire.I couldn't short the two solenoid terminals because of tight quarters and a heat shield on the starter. So, I dropped the starter, grounded it to the frame with battery jumper cables and then shorted out the terminals-- Walla- The beast spun right up. Now I'm off to the local parts store- Got there before he opened the doors. I said is there a Starter/alternator repair shop nearby-- of course, he didn't know of one. He pulls an exact duplicate of mine off the shelf--I said I only need the solenoid-- how much for the complete unit-- he said "a couple hundred bucks"! Well, I just had put one on in Maine for a fellow Camper in his 3/4 ton Chevy, 5.7 Vortac, about 3 weeks ago. He bought the complete unit for $160, exchange, at Car Quest. So I asked him if he had a solenoid for one and he said we used to sell them but usually now we just do the whole starter deal. I asked him to look, and he said I only have one for the 5.7 engine. Bring it out-- an exact match! Now I need a special #6 Torx bit to remove the heat shield and the solenoid itself. I bought one but had to grind it down because of clearance problems. Fortunately, I travel with a small machine shop with me (I do maintenance work at the campground in Maine). For $72 bucks all was well again.

Morale of the story--

1-I can only be thankful it didn't happen at my first planned refueling stop on the Mass Turnpike-- stuck at a fueling island.

2- Since I've been involved with two identical failures of these solenoids recently, I thought I would tell you Guys and Gals about it.

We got going at 10:30am and into central New Jersey at 4:15pm-- not too bad considering the unscheduled delay
Old 09-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
OUTSTANDING

I just wonder what the cost would have been had you had it towed to a WHSS and had the work done?

Post the part numbers of the starter and solenoid if you have them.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
That is the reason I carried a spare starter and alternator and fan belt in my tool bay. I can change each one in 30 min or less and be on my way.
NAPA starter #646876
NAPA Alt. # 1N4812

Richard
Old 09-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
That was an excellent outcome!

I have had 1 replacement starter since 2003 and it's holding!

My problem started as an intermittent failure to start and the culprit was indeed the solenoid. At the time I replaced both the starter and solenoid in Shreveport, LA.

Max H., is absolutely correct about carrying a small machine shop aboard!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Does a machine shop equate to a real good dremel kit?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I pulled the Drill press out this summer (I've had it a hundred years or so- Sears bench type) to make a bolt for a fellows awning and the tap and die sets (SAE & Metric) to thread the bolt, and the "clamp on vise" for the picnic table, To cut it to length,-- I then pulled out the 6" "snag" (bench type) grinder to finish it all off-- I got plenty of attention. I don't need to carry a dremel tool with me because everyone has one of them

I'm now looking for a small lathe---
Old 09-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #8

That is an an enviable equipment inventory,but what are the weight implications?After blowing a Goodyear in SW Texas last winter,I have felt a need to lightenup in the tool inventory.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought a bigger MH jut carry more with me.

Richard
Old 09-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Job Max H

"I just wonder what the cost would have been had you had it towed to a WHSS and had the work done? "

Maybe a week or 2 , if they order the starter from WH, and $1000 ???

And the solnoid part # is ???
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:05 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
Maybe a week or 2 , if they order the starter from WH, and $1000 ??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max49, Most reputable WCC service centers will have a starter in stock or know where to get one. MaxH was right, the starter costs a couple hundred bucks not a thousand.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
+ tow truck, + diagnostic time + labor, probably getting close. Most MH owners won't even change a tire , much less cange the starter.
I would'nt know if the WH svc cntrs have a starter in stock, or know where to get one. I waited a month for an airbag and months for a fuel fltr once and months for the autopark actuator. A week for a fuel pump.
So I have'nt been all that impressed with them, so far.
They did turn my Actia IP around in a week. That was much faster than I was expecting, from what I read here . A Chevy dealer too.
That's good if WH svc cntr would just put a GM starter in but unlikely they would have saved him money by just putting the solenoid in.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
I've only done a running glance at my starter a couple of times, but what I did notice was that it looked awfully small compared to any OEM, I've ever seen and especially on a big block chevy. I'm assuming that this is a high torque starter of sorts.
Did Chevy use these, something that National might have done, or some other after market replacement by a previous owner????
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
The OEM starter from GM is very small. It is a hi torque starter and is also used on all 8.1L engines installed in GM products.

Richard