Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had the problem in my 1995 class C with a small block chevy engine. As it was random, occurring at different speeds, it was quite annoying. I stopped at an auto parts store and bought a new thermostatic fan/clutch assembly. I changed it right there in the parking lot (always bring your tools!) and I had no more issues.
spinroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 09:14 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Just wondering

When the fan kicks in with the 195 deg therm it must mean the air temp through radiator reaches the fans turn on temp.
When the fan kicks in with the 180 deg therm installed (as it does with mine) it must mean the air temp through radiator reaches the fans turn on temp.

Wouldn't this mean the engine is still getting up to higher temps, just not as often. Which might/would keep all bad things mentioned in previous replies under control?
Old 03-12-2017, 06:10 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
In my case, the fan clutch was bad. Of course, I was watching the temperature gauge. YMMV
spinroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by db71 View Post
The first time mine did it, I knew right away what it was. To me it wasn't loud at all because when the fan on my old 1992 Bounder kicked on it sounded like you were inside of a jet engine

What the OP is hearing is normal for the fan operation. If he stops hearing it then it is time to worry.
The fans on MH's are normally larger than your daily driver hence they are moving a much larger volume of air. You are also sitting almost on top of the fan and radiator with just a thin cover between you and the fan.
I want to hear my fan. I know it's working properly.
Lynn
Old 03-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsses View Post
Do you have a back up or rear camera with volume control if so turn off?
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pulling my 8.1L with a 180 T out of winter storage and can't wait to hear that roar! Except my roar will be from my Banks headers.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsses View Post
Do you have a back up or rear camera with volume control if so turn off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Guessing lrsses thinks it's a rear engine 8.1L Workhorse...that was the case on the UFO, but not the great majority of Workhorse - front engine gas chassis'

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:21 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Guessing lrsses thinks it's a rear engine 8.1L Workhorse...that was the case on the UFO, but not the great majority of Workhorse - front engine gas chassis'

Safe travels
Ahh...gotcha.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #23

First time I heard the Jet noise I wondered WTH.. Turned out to be the HUGE rad fans spinning up.. Truly sounded like a Rolls Royce RN211 spoiling up to full power..
SteveM07825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Pulling a steep grade out of Webster Springs, WV. was the first time I heard the jet under the hood. I thought I'd burned up the transmission and stopped...unhooked the Jeep and pull out the dip stick for a sniff check. All seemed to be OK and soon found out that all was normal and that the computer had things under control. Heard that sound many times during the 5 years we own the HR. Sooo...Relax and enjoy the noise.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #25

Here in Phoenix it gets a bit toasty in the dead of summer. My fan can kick on when I'm on level ground at 65mph. Get used to it. It makes me warm and fuzzy inside
Toddgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:12 AM   #26

Spartan Chassis
I installed a 16" electric fan on a previous motorhome, an F53. Our current Mountain Aire is not loud at all, not nearly as loud as that Ford. Installing the electric fan cut the cycles of the steel fan in half. Took 2 hours to install the fan, most of it stringing wires.

The insulation on the dog house area of this Mountain Aire must be really good as the fan seldom even gets my attention. Putting more insulation might be the answer.
Kountry 2SUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
What the OP is hearing is normal for the fan operation. If he stops hearing it then it is time to worry.
The fans on MH's are normally larger than your daily driver hence they are moving a much larger volume of air. You are also sitting almost on top of the fan and radiator with just a thin cover between you and the fan.
I want to hear my fan. I know it's working properly.
Lynn
LETMGROW,

You are absolutely correct, on a trip to the Oregon coast in the 1992 Bounder, I noticed the roar was absent climbing over the coast range and my temps were starting to climb. Pulled over and found out the fan clutch had completely gone out( fan would free spin with no resistance)

Luckily, back then i would carry as much stuff from my shop that the Bounder could fit(yes it was most likely over weight). Buried in one of the storage compartments I had a big electric fan that I zip tied to the radiator and wired it to a toggle switch on the dash. We finished the trip without any overheating issues and replaced the fan clutch after returning home. I ended up leaving the electric fan on the front of the radiator as back up insurance , but improved the wiring with a bright red light on the dash so I wouldn't forget about it being on.

The OP may not like how loud the roar is, but will like things alot less if he doesn't hear it.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #28

Make sure you check your coolant properly and regularly. Our fan was coming on regularly the first day or our trip last summer. It was pretty hot so not unexpected. We checked the coolant before heading out the next morning and had to add a fair amount of water. Later that day when heading up a long low grade into WY, steam suddenly came pouring out of the front end. We shut it down right away and subsequently spent $3000+ to replace what we were told was likely a partially plugged radiator. Without going into detail, I learned a LOT about how cooling systems work and suspect now that the problem was that we simply ran low on coolant because we didn't know the correct procedure to check and fill it. (Even though there's enough coolant in the overflow tank it doesn't mean there's enough in the radiator.)
MIKEBEQ is offline   Reply With Quote