Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #29

My spare water pump is marked 18-1589 Workhorse 88893907 paid $55 for it NOS in shelf worn box on ebay.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #30

Issc, interesting your pump is marked 18-1589. (was that on box)
And my new pump has on the casting 1589C......coopcolt

When I was in the work a day world, the letter was revision or
update, mo-better latest and greatest! But things change.
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:04 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2003 Sightseer, 30b, Have driven it over 175000 miles and no issues with the water pump. Had to replace the belt tensioner idler and belt once.
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:07 AM   #32

I will try to check the box tomorrow, having a tropical storm pass about 10 miles away tonight
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jinxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlakegaston View Post
2003 coachmen w22 - 45,000 on original - no problems

Jim
Well 2000 miles after this post my water pump seized and shredded my serpentine belt - sat on the side of the highway for 4 hours waiting for a tow. Had the pump and all hoses replaced.

Jim
Old 08-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #34

onlakegaston, one of my greatest fears, 500 miles from nowhere and
I am dropped of at the nearest garage. As I have had a mechanic look
me in the eye and say"HOW FAR ARE YOU FROM HOME BOY"???
I had to assume that ever 100 miles the price goes up 10%!

So what was the cost of your adventure and did they have any trouble
finding the water pump and associated components?.....coopcolt
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:11 AM   #35

these are 150,000 mile pumps

with multiple bearing sets........premature failure is rare but not unheard of.......
Old 08-19-2019, 06:37 AM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopcolt View Post
onlakegaston, one of my greatest fears, 500 miles from nowhere and
I am dropped of at the nearest garage. As I have had a mechanic look
me in the eye and say"HOW FAR ARE YOU FROM HOME BOY"???
I had to assume that ever 100 miles the price goes up 10%!

So what was the cost of your adventure and did they have any trouble
finding the water pump and associated components?.....coopcolt

coopcolt, total cost including all new hoses was $1550.00. They had no problems finding parts as there was a Chevy dealer that still does Workhorse parts nearby - getting them delivered was a different story and caused another full day delay.
Owner and mechanics were very nice - only problem I had with them was when they moved the coach to a different spot to work on it they ripped off the passenger side rear compartment door which is another story.

Jim
Old 08-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #37

8.1 Water Pump Poll: How Long Did Your Original Water Pump Last?

I kept my original water pump and found a place in Oregon that will rebuild it using heavier duty parts than original. Thinking of sending it to him and then keeping as a spare.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #38

ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fan clutch

Ok, so after my water pump replacement and correcting the fan shroud that was not attached properly my fan now kicks in high at around 200* and stops at around 185*. Prior to this it kicked in at around 210* and back off at around 200*. My question is this an indication that a failure is immanent? The fan and clutch were not replaced and the fan still feels like it did when spinning it by hand when we first got it 5 years ago.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 09-08-2019, 08:07 AM   #40

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoutoor View Post
ktoutoor, Thanks for all of your informative videos!
Old 09-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #41

Watch this Video note the deference between a good and bad clutch fan and compare to yours.

ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:32 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlakegaston View Post
Ok, so after my water pump replacement and correcting the fan shroud that was not attached properly my fan now kicks in high at around 200* and stops at around 185*. Prior to this it kicked in at around 210* and back off at around 200*. My question is this an indication that a failure is immanent? The fan and clutch were not replaced and the fan still feels like it did when spinning it by hand when we first got it 5 years ago.

Thanks,

Jim
I installed a mechanical gage to my heater coolant line right at the engine before the valve. I struggled with my engine temp for several years to keep it under 200. I found that there are several factors. first, I'd suggest your replace your thermostat with a 180 degree unit. that means that it begins to open at 180* and fully opens at 195*, it will help to keep the temp down in hot weather and keep your clutch from engaging as often. I suspect that the factory units are 180* units, mine was unmarked but runs the same as a 180* aftermarket unit.

Second, not all fan clutchs are the same. The temps on some are set to go on earlier, there are several temp ranges that will fit your coach and engine. In my opinion, when your coolant temp hits 200 it is too high.

I went through 4 brand new fan clutchs before I finally got one that would work correctly. Napa, autozone and a AC delco. 3 of them failed in less than 3000 miles..... The 2nd time around from autozone finally worked. They do not test these things before they ship them out. Sooooo.... you may have to go trough several before you get one that works right. I don't remember what temps it kicks at, but it keeps my engine coolant at 192 degrees unless stressed by excessive ambient, 115* then it can get to 199* when climbing or idling with the AC on and towing.

Lastly, my AC system has an factory electric fan in front of the condensor coil. I had to put a switch on the electric fan because I found that when the electric fan would cycle on when the AC was engaged the fan clutch would disengage and the engine temp would rise. Found that with the electric fan turned off the engine fan and clutch was more than enough to keep the AC working correctly and cool the engine. The electric AC fan does nothing to help cool the engine coolant. I found this to be true especially when in high ambient temps here in the desert.

So, in my opinion, yes... replace your fan clutch... but... be careful because replacing it does not mean you will get the correct unit and it will function correctly... you may have to go through several units to get one that works correctly. A shop will just pass it off as "that is the way it is suppose to be".

Tags
water, water pump