Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2016, 09:25 AM   #15

Fuel mileage on a big, heavy box with a big engine going down the road is very subjective to weather, road and RV conditions. I think the best over all average you should expect is 6 to 7 mpg while towing and approximately 3 mpg more when not towing. Drive smart, drive safe and keep your RV well maintained and you'll enjoy the most benefits of the RV life. Most of all, enjoy the view above the fuel gauge. That's what its all about.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #16

What a great concept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by litewave View Post
... Most of all, enjoy the view above the fuel gauge. That's what its all about.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lopez View Post
We travel light, 1/2 tank of water, full gas and propane, no toad. Just the two of us and our daschund. Average is a constant 8 to 8.5 mpg.

Lucky you, even though you have a lighter rig that is extremely good.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
6.94 mpg over 32255 miles. Mostly drive ~63mph. Some towing, some not. 190 generator hours. Bought motorhome new. Weighs 23,200#. 38'6" in length. Considering selling motorhome.

This sounds totally realistic except for selling the MH.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
This sounds totally realistic except for selling the MH.
First travel trailer was in 1974. That equates to 42 years of RVing. I'm getting close to making a reservation at Hampton Inn and renting a condo for a month or two. Age and physical capabilities catches up with everyone.

-Tom, W3TLN

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
While towing at 61 mph 6.9mpg , without toad mpg around 7.5. Just returned from 800 mile trip towing. Installed new spark plugs before trip hoping for better mileage but not so. got 6.9 !! Pretty consistant !

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:22 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
First travel trailer was in 1974. That equates to 42 years of RVing. I'm getting close to making a reservation at Hampton Inn and renting a condo for a month or two. Age and physical capabilities catches up with everyone.

-Tom, W3TLN

Tom you certainly deserve whatever you want to do!

Old 10-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #22

We just completed a 4270 mile trip to Vermont and back. We live right outside of Houston Texas. We were towing a 2013 Honda Fit, which weighs about 2700 lbs. Ran between 57-62 mph depending on how far we were going that day. I kept the gas receipts for the trip and just did the math. We averaged about 7.5 miles per gallon. I was very happy with that considering the amount of time we spent in the mountains. The rig is a 2003, 36 foot, 4 Winds Infinity with the Workhorse, 8.1, and 5 speed Allison.

I think what helped us on this particular trip was not having to use the cabin or roof ac's much due to the cooler weather up north. I usually get right about 7 mpg

Hope this helps!
Bill inTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lopez View Post
We travel light, 1/2 tank of water, full gas and propane, no toad. Just the two of us and our daschund. Average is a constant 8 to 8.5 mpg.
Sounds like our Southwinds are the mpg kings! My scan gauge says I'm getting anywhere from 7.5 to 8.5. Sometimes higher. We usually go out west and we tow a CRV.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill inTexas View Post
I kept the gas receipts for the trip and just did the math. We averaged about 7.5 miles per gallon. I was very happy with that considering the amount of time we spent in the mountains.
If you could segregate the 'up mountain' mileage/fueling from the 'down mountain' mileage/fueling, I bet you would reveal that the 'up mountain' segment economy was miserable in comparison to the 'down mountain' segment. The net result is a surprisingly decent trip average.

OBTW we average high 6's/low7's on our trips pulling a Honda Fit at 60 mph in flatlands Florida. Our return trip last week as Hurricane Matthew refugees saw us hitting 8.2 mpg because of a good tailwind. We always travel with a full tank of fresh water. Both road grade and the wind field matter the most.

Safe travels.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #25

We just got back from an 1100 mile trip out to Arizona which included a number of long climbs in our 07 Winnie W24. We flat towed my Jeep XJ which is about 4000#. Was pleased to get 7mpg considering all the hills. This is our first MH and my first experience with an Allison transmission and I have to say I'm impressed. Never missed a beat chugging up those hills and the grade brake worked much better than I had hoped. Looking forward to our next adventure in our Adventurer!
Old 10-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #26

Something I never worried about and don't track. To us and many others a MH is luxury, a toy. I'm pushing something with the aerodynamics of a brick that weighs over 20,000 lbs, pulling a car. I kinds assumed the mileage would suck.

It varies, speed traffic, weather (wind), terrain. 6 to 8 seems common average, unless it's for sale on Craigslist, those seem to get 10-12. I know you're just curious but there are so many factors that there is no real answer other than to enjoy it. It is what it is. If if was a real concern I assume you would have asked before your purchase. So forget it and enjoy the adventure.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have a 2008 Winnebago 38J, and it shows around 10-12 mpg (--Imperial in Canada), but it is in fact less. The speedo reads about 10% fast, so I'm thinking it's showing the 10% better than actual milage. Has anyone been able to re-calibrate the ECM to correct this? I sure would like to change the PPM (pulse per mile) numbers to get it showing the correct speed.
I am a retired Heavy Duty truck mechanic, and we used to do this regularly on the truck ECM's when we would change diff ratios or tire sizes. Maybe a trip to a Chevy dealer??? Think I'll phone first.
Also agree that milage is not to be a worry, you are doing something you love, so suck it up Buttercup, and keep on truckin'.
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:35 AM   #28

04 itasca sunova no trailer 7-7.5 27'
xjescape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
workhorse, engine