Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I ran a scan and Steve Brazel found the Long Term Fuel Trim levels to be high ans suggested the I check Fuel Pressure (ok), MAF (a bit dirty) and the O2 sensors (not checked yet).

But this got me to thinking about DriVer and his replacing the MAF on his coach. So, I called the local Workhorse Service Center. I asked for the cost of the MAF and he looked and could not find it. He had call Workhorse. I also asked about O2 sensors. He called me back in about 5 mins.

Workhose price for MAF (are you sitting down) is $243.70 and would take a week to get.

Here is what I found in the Workhorse cat

25168491 : SENSOR ASM - MASS AIR FLOW (WITH INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR)
Quantity : 1
Service Part : W8000513

OBTW - 25168491 is the Delphi part number for the 99-07 GM 85mm MAF. This is the same part number that is on my MAF that I cleaned and the same part number for the one I bought off Ebay for $26.99.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #2

I ran a scan and Steve Brazel found the Long Term Fuel Trim levels to be high ans suggested the I check Fuel Pressure (ok), MAF (a bit dirty) and the O2 sensors (not checked yet).

But this got me to thinking about DriVer and his replacing the MAF on his coach. So, I called the local Workhorse Service Center. I asked for the cost of the MAF and he looked and could not find it. He had call Workhorse. I also asked about O2 sensors. He called me back in about 5 mins.

Workhose price for MAF (are you sitting down) is $243.70 and would take a week to get.

Here is what I found in the Workhorse cat

25168491 : SENSOR ASM - MASS AIR FLOW (WITH INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR)
Quantity : 1
Service Part : W8000513

OBTW - 25168491 is the Delphi part number for the 99-07 GM 85mm MAF. This is the same part number that is on my MAF that I cleaned and the same part number for the one I bought off Ebay for $26.99.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Now isn't that a find how do you do.
Wonder if they have some chassis on E-Bay.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #4

If you price MAF's for passenger vehicles, you will find that $243 is reasonable. My MAF for my Nissan Frontier was around $250.

If you don't use a K&N air filter and change your OEM air filters frequently, you should never have a problem with your MAF.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FrontRangeRVer, your right on. Why do some owners prefer using after market replacements for their Workhorse chassis? The OEM's are specifically designed for these chassis with superior materials.

Ed
Old 01-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
If you price MAF's for passenger vehicles, you will find that $243 is reasonable. My MAF for my Nissan Frontier was around $250.

If you don't use a K&N air filter and change your OEM air filters frequently, you should never have a problem with your MAF. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm
Old 01-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The problem is not so much with the filter or the oil that was installed OE but the "re-charge" that owners accomplish on their filters. Unless you are highly competent in re-charging the filter "quite a few" people have a tendency to over oil the filter.

When re-charging a filter a light spray is sufficient to restore the filter to its OE condition. The fact that the oil is red only helps with the recharge effort so you can avoid respraying the same area repeatedly.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #8

I got this off the net... food for thought.

25318411 New truck MAF (& LS6?) and '01 Z06
This P/N is used on most every V8 from '99-'05
supersedes 25168491

FrontRangeRVer and Jeepster47 - Horse feathers

The Workhorse air intake is designed to meet EPA/CARB requirements and be quite. The pre-foam filter is the very restrictive when it gets dirty. The total air intake system weighs in excess of 14 lbs. The air flow has to make 6 to 8 changes of direction BEFORE it gets to the MAF sensor.

I have cleaned my S&B 8 layer gauze filter twice and have no oil contamination on my MAF sensor. My DIY CAI is as quite as the OEM, only weighs 3 lbs and moves lots of air.

The 85 mm MAF is very common part and is available for a whole lot less than the Workhorse price. EBAY has them from $15 to $65.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The pre-foam filter is the very restrictive when it gets dirty. It weighs in excess of 14 lbs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
DANG, Dale. That must be some HIGH DENSITY foam!

FYI, regarding MAF sensor pricing, below is a cut and paste from the NAPA website:

Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor - Remfd NEC
XTP48411
$89.99
Core $55.56

Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor - New NEC
MAF68411 $144.00

Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor - New
Actual OE Part DEM
AF10043
$154.00

ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #10

OEMTECH, I never advocated that you had to only buy an OEM MAF....Looks like Edgeray found some OEM MAF sensors much cheaper than Workhorse has, and that's good!

You shouldn't have to replace them though unless you aren't providing clean air over them, and since they don't fail very often, there really is no need to carry a spare like you would a fuel filter.

One more thing on my remarks about the K&N air filters. Here is a Recent thread about K&N Air Filters and I agree with the majority of posters on that thread (and many others) about these air filters....you are asking for trouble when you use them. K&N paid for my fouled MAF once, and that was nice of them, but you couldn't pay me to use them anymore.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:35 AM   #11

OK.... ED I fixed that Thanks.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:47 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The problem is not so much with the filter or the oil that was installed OE but the "re-charge" that owners accomplish on their filters. Unless you are highly competent in re-charging the filter "quite a few" people have a tendency to over oil the filter.

When re-charging a filter a light spray is sufficient to restore the filter to its OE condition. The fact that the oil is red only helps with the recharge effort so you can avoid respraying the same area repeatedly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly...remember the old commercial on early TV..."just a little dab will do ya!!"(Brylcream).
Old 01-30-2008, 03:44 PM   #13

Thanks for the input on MAF sensors and K&N filters. My WH service guy says that the oil from the K&N will adversly effect the MAF sensor. I think I will stay with the stock filter.
agiledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:
Exactly...remember the old commercial on early TV..."just a little dab will do ya!!"(Brylcream). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's nothing - I remember Burma Shave billboards.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote