Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #1

Recently I took at trip in a new 2007 Itasca Sunova from New Jersey to California. At that time I noticed that I was down 1 qt of oil, which I filled. When I got back, I noticed I was again down 1 qt. I spoke to my RV dealer, they called workhorse. They said that I will burn 1 qt of oil for every 100 gallons of fuel. This seem high. Has anyone else heard this?
ParksnMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #2

Recently I took at trip in a new 2007 Itasca Sunova from New Jersey to California. At that time I noticed that I was down 1 qt of oil, which I filled. When I got back, I noticed I was again down 1 qt. I spoke to my RV dealer, they called workhorse. They said that I will burn 1 qt of oil for every 100 gallons of fuel. This seem high. Has anyone else heard this?
ParksnMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
At that rate you should have burned nearly 10 quarts of oil. I doubt if 1qt/100gallons is normal. I must have used close to 1000 gallons of gas in my trip to California and back this year (lots of side trips via Alabama, Lousiana, Texas, Nevada), towing a CRV,(WH20, 8.1). I carried two quarts of oil with me and still had a little left. Might have needed the full two quarts but it was time to change the oil anyway.
Also I think I would have been worried if I was using a quart of oil every other fuel fill. I have 22,000 miles on our Allegro, mostly up and down the east coast so the mountain crossings were new to us.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #4

Follow the manufacturers directions for checking oil level before adding. This is usually done cold and level.
Also check that the dipstick is correct. Drain oil, fill with required amount (as per owners manual), start to fill oil filter, stop engine, wait as long as possible (to allow oil to return to the pan), and check oil level. Adjust dip stick if necessary, that's what the bends at the top of the stick are for. If the crankcase is over filled it will burn off the extra oil.
Randy
knebrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quoting the 2006 Workhorse Maintenance Manual below:

"PROPER READING OF THE OIL LEVEL"

"The best time to check the engine oil is when the oil is warm, such as during a fuel stop or after at least 30 minutes of highway driving. The vehicle should be allowed to sit for at least 15 minutes, after the engine has been shut off, before taking an oil level reading to assure the oil has had enough time to drain back into the crankcase/oil pan. In order to ensure accurate results, the temperature of the oil should be close to the same temperature as the last time the oil level was checked."

"The vehicle must be parked on a level surface to obtain accurate oil level readings. Verify that the dipstick tube is fully seated in the block. When checking the oil level, make sure the dipstick is wiped clean before taking an oil level reading and fully depress the dipstick until the shoulder bottoms out on the dipstick tube. The dipstick should be the proper part number for the engine/vehicle that is being checked Note: If you check the oil level when the oil is cold, do not run the engine first. The cold oil will not drain back to the pan fast enough to give a true oil level."

"NOTICE:"

"Oil level should not be over the full mark or more than one quart low. Oil can become aerated when overfilled or when more than one quart low. Aeration of the oil can cause valve lifters to collapse causing major damage to the engine."

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:09 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many, if not most, of us find that our 8.1l powered RV's use very little oil. I switched to Mobil 1 (10W-30) at 3000 miles and my oil usage is nearly zero. For example. On my last long trip of 5300 miles the oil level was down less than 1/2 qt. Actually I added one qt at 5000 miles and it over filled the engine by at least 1/2qt.

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Gilbert:
Many, if not most, of us find that our 8.1l powered RV's use very little oil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too use Mobil 1. On a recent RT of about 1200 miles I started out with a crankcase of new oil. When I got home the dipstick did not measure any oil level.

Anyway, when I drained the crankcase I got back what I believe to be a tad more than 3 qts plus what was in the filter.

As long as pressure stays up somewhere around 50 psi - depending on my speed - I don't worry. What I can't figure out is why my dipstick doesn't show a level.

Yes, the dipstick is the one that came in the engine, and yes, my spot in the backyard is level. And, yes, the dipstick is fully seated.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine started out using a quart every 1000 miles but as the engine broke in, it dropped to a quart about every 2000 miles. Now have 32,000 miles on it.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you use dino oil you will continue to use oil, at 3000 miles change to syn oil and it wll almost stop. JMHO
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #10

When our Sigthseer was brand new we made a trip to Yellowstone, about 1000 miles one way from home. The oil light came on just before Yellowstone. I needed to add a quart of oil to get the level within the normal operating range. That was over 7000 miles ago.

This year, before our trip to Washington state (2900 miles round trip) last August, the MH had an oil and lube service. I did not need to add oil at any time. Oil level is still within the normal range. I now have over 10,000 in the Sightseer. I only use the regular oil (dino).

Relax, drive safely, and enjoy God's creation.

2006 Sightseer 33T, W18, 8.1L
mis3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:14 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mountainkowboy:
.... at 3000 miles change to syn oil and it will almost stop... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>mountaincowboy, Thanks you for your opinion in this matter however its not consistent with fact. An 8.1L engine can expect to consume oil within what is considered normal operational range. 1 quart of oil per 100 gallons of fuel burned is within normal limits. Several owners will report much less consumption however it's not dependent on whether the oil is dino or synthetic. Some owners report much less consumption using dino oil while others are more successful using syns.

I have been running synthetic oil since 15,000 miles now 61,000+ miles and my oil consumption is slightly better than 1 quart per 100 gallons however I do consume oil and I always carry spare quarts.

I would as well as Workhorse recommends to introduce the switch to synthetic oil between 13,000 to 15,000 miles if an owner choses to pursue that strategy.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:37 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Sorry Mike I disagree... Burning 1 qt per 1000 miles means you have almost done an oil change if you use the GM OLMS. Also, GM says this will be normal for at least 36k. Funny, for me the just happens to be my power train warranty cut off.

Piston slap is also NOT ACCEPTABLE using 5w-20w, 5w-30w, 10w-30w, Dino oil or synthenic. If you properly use a boring bar, put the correct cross hatch in the cylinder walls, fit the pistons correctly, fit the rings correctly and break in the engine correctly you should not use a qt of oil between changes or have cold start knock (aka - piston slap).
Old 09-11-2007, 03:41 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:

I have been running synthetic oil since 15,000 miles now 61,000+ miles and my oil consumption is slightly better than 1 quart per 100 gallons however I do consume oil and I always carry spare quarts.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHEW

Thanks Driver,

I thought my oil consumption was high but after those figures of 1 qt/100 gals of fuel, I'm in the ball park

My last trip I didn't have to add oil until approximately 250 gallons of fuel. That was to Colorado Springs. I don't tow but I'm sure after Colorado Springs on up to Glacier NP I probably used a little more oil since there was a lot of mountain climbing.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:19 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
1 quart per 100 gallons of fuel consumed sounds about right for a large bore engine. This equates to about 1 quart per 700 miles, depending on your fuel usage.

This in my opinion is on the high end for a large displacement engine. Hopefully it will get better as the rings seat. We have had 7.4L GM engines and the typically used about a quart in 1500 miles depending on how hard we were working the engine. When in mountains and heavy pulling, it may go up a bit as you are typically running in a lower gear and spinning the engine faster.

I'd monitor it closely and become concerned if it is still this high once I heat 20000 miles.
Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote