Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipstick67 View Post
Yes my '93 came with a cc in June of 2015 the exhaust system was replaced with a Banks SS system. I also have found a receipt for an oil change in June which they used 5w-30 syn-blend the oil fill cap calls for 10w-30 . My question is will this be Ok or is this not a good idea ?
Dipstick6:

You should be ok. My 96 said 5-30 on the cap. TO get technical 5-30 the 6 months of cold season and 5-40 the 6 month of hot season. BUT again, 30 or 40W will do the whole season
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2020, 01:56 AM   #16

That vintage 454 came with a mild hydraulic lifter cam. IOW....no solid lifters or tappets.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:32 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
That vintage 454 came with a mild hydraulic lifter cam. IOW....no solid lifters or tappets.
udidwht, I think I am saying the same thing you said. I would clarify a little by explaining to those who don't know. A valve lifter is a tappet. udidwht's first sentence could have been stated, "That vintage 454 came with a mild hydraulic tappet cam." The explanation of the difference between hydraulic tappets and solid tappets can wait for another time.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:23 PM   #18

With respect to the tappets themselves. The solid lifter cam tappets were the ones with issues of wiping cam lobes flat during break in. It was suspected to be related to ZDDP but never actually proven. They also suspect it may have been related to metallurgy during cam billet processing (more likely).

This was what we were dealing with back in early 2000s in the ACVW world. A Type-4 engine builder myself.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:45 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know I'm getting a little of topic but...

I used to drag race a little. Saw a guy at the track several times with a VW bug. I don't know which version VW engine he was running but it must have turned 10000 RPM.

He was getting 12 second time slips! For the mid 1990's that was a very fast car. It was temperamental and sometimes would die on the starting line!

What RPM's and HP did you extract from your Type 4 engine?
Old 12-09-2020, 10:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
I know I'm getting a little of topic but...

I used to drag race a little. Saw a guy at the track several times with a VW bug. I don't know which version VW engine he was running but it must have turned 10000 RPM.

He was getting 12 second time slips! For the mid 1990's that was a very fast car. It was temperamental and sometimes would die on the starting line!

What RPM's and HP did you extract from your Type 4 engine?
That was likely my buddy Lloyd Mosher (record holder) normal aspirated. With respect to the T-4 they can be built up to roughly 2.5L and not lose any reliability. While turning upwards of 8,000rpms @ 210+ horsepower.

Right now I'm running a 2056cc T-4 with dual Weber IDFs in my 72 VW Westy. On the dyno it puts out 98 horsepower at 120lb-ft of torque. In stock form with a 1.7 they were just shy of 70 horsepower. This is a mild build for a bus that can weigh 2,5 tons when fully loaded. What can be achieved with a T-4 engine can only be dreamed of with a T-1 upright.

Tags
454, engine