Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
94 P-30 Starting Problem

I know this is not a Workhouse question but some of you Chevy Guys might be able to help me out. I have a 1994 P-30 Bounder 34J. Last week I had trouble starting her up and the battery was 8 years old so I replaced it with a new Die Hard today. After putting the new battery in I was not able to get the Bounder to fire up. All I get is a click. Every turn of the key only delivers a click. I checked the voltage and see that I have a little over 12 volts and when I turn the key the voltage drops down to about 7 or 8 volts. So I think that the starter is either bad or stuck. My thought is that it is getting power since I have a voltage drop but the starter does not spin. I was not able to get to it today to try the tapping method to see if it was stuck nor did I want to until I asked you all. Thank you for any help and advice,
Leon
lpkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #2

Did u charge the battery before install ? Try wrapping the starter with a hammer ?
Prob should have read further before posting
But seriously what kind of mechanic doesn't
Beat it with a hammer first ~
Flair30h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
There is a possibility that the starter solenoid my be bad our it could be a blown fuse.
I would check the fuse first.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Yes I confirmed the battery had 12 volts and no I am not a mechanic and why I am asking for advice. And no I did not hit it until I asked as well.
Leon
Old 10-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Walter View Post
There is a possibility that the starter solenoid my be bad our it could be a blown fuse.
I would check the fuse first.
Just a thought.
Any idea what fuse to start with or solenoid?
Old 10-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #6

Doubt it's a fuse if the current path was open via a fuse you would not have seen the voltage drop . Sorry was just kidding earlier . It could be the solenoid but doubt it that was the click noise you heard . It's prob just frozen ( the starter ) from lack of use . Whack with hammer a few times then give it a whirl . You can remove the starter and take to autozone they will test it for you for free
Old 10-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flair30h View Post
Doubt it's a fuse if the current path was open via a fuse you would not have seen the voltage drop . Sorry was just kidding earlier . It could be the solenoid but doubt it that was the click noise you heard . It's prob just frozen ( the starter ) from lack of use . Whack with hammer a few times then give it a whirl . You can remove the starter and take to autozone they will test it for you for free
Okay, thanks I will give it a wack tomorrow, It did sound like the click was coming from under the dog house. So I will take the BFH to it tomorrow and let you know.

Leon
Old 10-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkirby View Post
Okay, thanks I will give it a wack tomorrow, It did sound like the click was coming from under the dog house. So I will take the BFH to it tomorrow and let you know.

Leon
Been their done that. Tapping with a hammer seemed to work for me, but did not want to take a long trip. Spent $300 bucks trying to get a field mechanic to replace the starter. Could not locate the starter in Atlanta. I just dropped the starter and have it at a repair facility here in Orlando. Bench test showed it started intermittently, something inside. It really is easy to drop starter there are threads on subject in Forum. Someone might know where to get a replacement starter, I could not fine one on the web. Workhorse can get one??
benge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for the reply’s
Here is what I found today. Again a single click sound, I removed the starter and tested it and got nothing so I took it to Auto Zone and they tested it and it failed, so I thought the problem was found. Purchased a new one that was in stock and go back to install it. I used a wire brush and cleaned all the connections before reinstalling the starter. Check the battery and had a little over 12 volts and I again got a single click. NOTHING!! Called Auto Zone back and he suggested it could be a ground or the hot wire or maybe the Starter relay. Does anyone know where a Start Relay is on a 94 Bounder p-30 with the 454? I found an Ignition Relay in the Battery Center that makes a click when the key is turned. I also placed my hands around the starter solenoid and could hear and feel the click when someone turned the key. It is no doubt coming from there.
I looked and did not see a braided strap from the engine, I will look again and check it, can someone give me more detail as to where to find this grounding strap?
I am at a loss and any ideas would be appreciated, I have a new battery and new starter now.
Thanks Leon
Old 10-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #10

Just a thought why don't you try jump starting with a running car or truck or do you have one of those aux start buttons on your dash ? This will tie your house batts to your chassis batt . Or throw a charger on that new batt overnight
I do have a manual for a 1996 p30 with 454
I'll look at it and get back to you , but the above is what I'd try next
Old 10-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flair30h View Post
Just a thought why don't you try jump starting with a running car or truck or do you have one of those aux start buttons on your dash ? This will tie your house batts to your chassis batt . Or throw a charger on that new batt overnight
I do have a manual for a 1996 p30 with 454
I'll look at it and get back to you , but the above is what I'd try next
I have tried Jumper cables and the AUX start button, still the same problem. I was just reading that I need to check my Grounding strap and trying to find the location of it. The battery has 12.44 volts and is fully charged on a charger.
Thanks
Old 10-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #12

I would also check the connections on your batt Make sure the terminals on the cables are nice clean and tight never mind just read your reply
Old 10-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #13

The negative cable on your chassis batt should make a stop on your engine block . Do you have a multimeter ? You can take an ohm reading from the neg terminal on your batt to the engine block . Or you could run your jumper cable from neg terminal to the engine block . And see if bad ground is your problem .
Old 10-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #14

starting problem

co make checking the grounds sounds like a good idea. if i was working on it i would check to make shure the engine will turn. probably best way to check would be remove the starter and with a large pry bar pry on ring gear teeth. i suspect you may find the engine is locked up due to a mechanical isue or possible liquid lock.
hometool is offline   Reply With Quote