Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #1

98 Southwind Storm Installing Brake Controller

I'm not sure if this would go here or in the Fleetwood forum.

Anyone every wire a 98 Southwind Storm 34S for a brake Controller? In Oct I'm driving to Ohio (I'm in Ga) to pickup my parents MH. Dad had a stroke a few years back and Mom say's she will not allow him to drive it anymore. I will be using a tow dolly to tow my wife's Ford Escape back and the MH doesn't have a brake controller. I purchased a used Tow Dolly with electric brakes and am weighing either installing a brake controller or buying the EZ Controller from American Car Dolly, (if I can get them to answer their phone). The EZ brake seems a lot easier, but was wondering if anyone has installed a controller and what they recommend. I would like to have the control a brake controller provides, but not totally necessary.

One more question. I thought the 98 Southwind Storm was on a Workhorse Chassis, but saw a recent post where it's on a GM Chassis. Which is correct?
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 02:25 PM   #2

We have the ez brake controller. one reason, it stays with the dolly so you never have to worry about brakes no matter the tow vehicle, and second, could not find the factory pre wire for on board brake controller.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgman50 View Post
We have the ez brake controller. one reason, it stays with the dolly so you never have to worry about brakes no matter the tow vehicle, and second, could not find the factory pre wire for on board brake controller.
That is definitely a big advantage. Does it work well? Does it hold it's setup, or do you have to make adjustments frequently?
Old 07-23-2015, 06:00 AM   #4

No issues with controller. I put a lot of faith in the statement "I would buy it again". in this case, I would buy it again. adjustment is easy. here is instructions in case you haven't seen them. fyi, you must already be wired for trailer lights.

# 1. Plug trailer into EZ Brakes box then plug harness from EZ brakes into tow vehicle.
Start tow vehicle because voltage changes when vehicle is running and depress brakes. Brake lights MUST be on to set brake adjustment. This may be achieved by an assistant or a device such as a windshield scraper from the brake pedal to the seat. Please be careful not to puncture seat.
Go to back of tow vehicle and make sure brake lights are functioning properly. If not, test plug to see if all terminals are working. IF power is working properly through plug (you can see if trailer lights are all functioning properly) then turn ON / OFF switch on side of EZ Brakes box ON. Button should be pushed in at top. Down position is OFF .
Open lid on top of EZ Brakes box and place finger on gain wheel and turn back lightly until wheel stops. Light is usually green at this point. (remember, brake lights must be on and vehicle running). Turn wheel toward bottom of box until LED light turns red. At this point brakes are being activated and usually about another ¼ turn (¼”) is sufficient but may vary depending on weight of trailer and load being towed. Adjustment can be made accordingly so trailer brakes do not lock up when towing. Close lid on box and test brakes by moving vehicle on non slick surface (usually pavement) and applying brakes. If brakes lock up or skid, then adjustment needs to be made by turning gain wheel away from bottom of box until this does not occur.
WARNINGS / Tips and Proper use of EZ Brakes :
Trailer brakes are designed to ASSIST the tow vehicle towing a trailer, NOT to stop the tow vehicle. Improper use will result in excessive abnormal wear and tear on trailer brakes and possibly heating drums, brakes and bearings to a dangerous temperature causing unnecessary damage to trailer or cargo being hauled. Over adjustment can generate heat causing melting of bearing grease resulting in damage to bearings and spindles.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #5

Thank you! You convinced me that EZ Brake will be easiest solution. Then I won't have to jack with the wiring

Tags
brake, install, southwind