Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A/C comp. clutch

On my 04 W22 chassis the a/c clutch went bad. It has a Delphi 15-67135 compressor that no one including Delphi can find for cross ref. The one on Omey's web site looks like it would fit but I didn;t want to take a chance and have to return it. Alot of research lator I found an AC# 15-40048 clutch that can be perchased at any local parts store and they may hve it in stock that fit this compressor. It looks a little diferant but I beleive the original was a poor design. I changed it without having to open the system or lose freon charge.

I hope this helps somone.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd take the clutch/pulley mechanism to a local parts store. You need to match up the shaft and keyway size, the pulley diameter, and the alignment of the belt in the groove. If the replacement fits the requirements, problem solved. You could also go to a salvage yard, electric A/C clutches don't often fail before a vehicle is junked.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #3

Speed racer:
I had always been told the clutch wasn't "easy" to replace, required special tools to set the air gap, bla bla bla and that is why most shops just replace the entire compressor. Can you offer your perspective and share some cost savings by doing this repair as opposed to the replacement normally done? Thanks. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:56 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Speed racer:
I had always been told the clutch wasn't "easy" to replace, required special tools to set the air gap, bla bla bla and that is why most shops just replace the entire compressor. Can you offer your perspective and share some cost savings by doing this repair as opposed to the replacement normally done? Thanks. Ed
It does take some knowledge of the procedure and because of where it is also adds th the difficulty. I borrowed the tool kit from the local Advance auto parts store. If there is a nut on the end of the shaft remove it(mine had none ). one of the tools pulls the clutch off. On mine I replace the pully also and to do that there is a snap ring that has to be remove and the pully can be removed. It's a tight fit but it can br done with two small pry bars or screw drivers. After replacing the pully and snap ring you have to align the keyway and start the clutch on. Do not hammer on this just start it by hand. The kit has another tool to press it back on. Be careful when it gets close the clearace should be set around 15-20 thousances .
PS On mine I diconnected the wires an unbolted the compressor so I could move it back and have more room to work. The parts cost was 99$ and the tool use was free.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:10 AM   #5

THANKS!
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:24 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
IMHO I would change the whole compressor. It's easier and will cost almost the same. I had the same problem on the 2005 W20 chassis I used to own. That was the easiest way to go.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
IMHO I would change the whole compressor. It's easier and will cost almost the same. I had the same problem on the 2005 W20 chassis I used to own. That was the easiest way to go.
Most A/C shops will tell you it's more cost effective to replace the compressor but in reality they will make it cost you more in labor, not parts, because they don't want to put in the effort to change out the clutch.

Having the ability to do this change out yourself is a huge money saver for you the owner.

There are not many compressors out there that a clutch replacement can't be performed on. A customer with a bad compressor clutch is a cash cow to an A/C shop. They keep your old compressor, rebuild and sell it outright to to the next cash cow. (moooo)

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:38 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
The easiest way to do anything is to have somone else do it but it's buy far no the cheapest. As far as cost a rebuilt comp. cost almost $200 + freon + comp. oil. and the biggest plus is labor.