Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Superchips-Flash-Paq-Chi...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It looks pretty pricey and I'm not crazy about EBay but I'm surprised I have never heard of any one with a Chip in their 8.1
I wonder if it is comparable to the ultra power. It sounds easy , 'no tools' instalation.
I like modifications that are completely reversible.
I see this seller also sells Magnaflo exhausts with a 'cat delete' pipe.
Hmm, I could'nt get my muffler shop to do that when I replaced the exhaust on my last MH with the 460 engine.
Rocky Mountain High, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Superchips-Flash-Paq-Chi...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It looks pretty pricey and I'm not crazy about EBay but I'm surprised I have never heard of any one with a Chip in their 8.1
I wonder if it is comparable to the ultra power. It sounds easy , 'no tools' instalation.
I like modifications that are completely reversible.
I see this seller also sells Magnaflo exhausts with a 'cat delete' pipe.
Hmm, I could'nt get my muffler shop to do that when I replaced the exhaust on my last MH with the 460 engine.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:06 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks to me like it's about $250.00 less than ultrapower. Also resulting in less gains in hp and tq,
no quarantee and I didn't see anything about free upgrades if future inhancments come along. One of the big reasons I went with the ultrapower was due to the many possitive comments in this forum from people who had already done it. I'd hate for anybody to be sorry they tried something but someone, somewhere, has to take that leap of faith and try something to see if it works. There's a first time for everything! But I'd rather let someone else be first!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I did something like this 2 years ago. I bought a Jesse Bubb tune with a replacement ECM for $150. Yep, $150! Jesse is a car/truck tuner and his tune did not work... I got really great gas mileage but I was getting my doors blown off by anyone, no hp/torque. I actually R&R'd my original ECM half way to the 06 IRV2 National Rally in TN.

While I was in TN Mike Bronzini offered to buy my Jesse Bubb tune for what I paid and install UltraPower for the same price as the rest of the folks were getting. I was able to test the uprade from TN to MN and then back to TX. Overall the best money I have spent.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:54 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Big Mikie" gets my vote for results, and he owes me nothing for this endorcement

RRB
Mr Near Purrrfic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wonder if Brazels could put his technology into a Chip? What are my options to get UP? Drive to where he is or send him my ECM?
Old 09-25-2007, 02:59 AM   #7

There is no benefit in putting it into a chip.... The data must be written to the ECM in some way, as the ECM is sealed. This means they must provide a box of some sort to do the update and that would increase the cost. It also must provide some way to backup the data and restore it, again increasing the cost.

The product you saw on Ebay probably only changes some timing parameters, maybe the fuel table and a few other items. I am almost sure that they do NOT check to see if there are any GM changes and add them to the tune. UltraPower is custom made for the 8.1 used in a motorhome.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:32 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
I wonder if Brazels could put his technology into a Chip? What are my options to get UP? Drive to where he is or send him my ECM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Max you can do it either way... From what I understand Brazel's has a fast turn around

If you don't stand behind our TROOPS, Feel Free to stand in front of them
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Max49,

The Super Chip does not work with Workhorse calibration ID's,only GM pickups.Also I think you need to run premium fuel to get the max benefit of a whopping 28 Horsepower.

Ship us your ECM & we can program it & ship it back...It's that easy!
Old 09-25-2007, 03:35 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've sent our ecm into Mike twice through the mail. First time for the original upgrade and second time for a free upgrade for newest enhancements. Both times I had the ecm back in our motohome in less than a week.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:07 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Brazels, I'm still thinking about it. Is Easyrider correct about it being $700?
Is the WH ECM different than a Chevy ECM?
I downloaded the instructions for programing and installing the Superchip. My heart started beating faster just thinking about what could go wrong.
It said that it also increase the vehicle speed limiter and also the Rev limiter. And increases the RPM shift points. If my MH has to rev higher, to get more power, I'm not sure I want that. I already rev it higher than any of my other vehicles; but I have to.
Oh yea, where is the ECM? Is that the black plastic box, up high on the drivers side , under the hood?
Old 09-25-2007, 06:27 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max oemtech did a whole layout on removing the ECM complete with photos.......At least I think it was him..... Send him a PM I am sure he will help you...

If you don't stand behind our TROOPS, Feel Free to stand in front of them
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #13

Max,

I posted some photos and instructions on how to R&R the ECM Link Here

You can also download a PDF document I wrote for Brazel's from their site. Click Information and the Instructions.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks OEMTech, I guess the black box is not the ECM.
You have to take off the doghouse, huh? I guess this is a good thing but I've never needed to take my doghouse off. I started to once, just so I'd know how to do it but I said the heck with it when I could'nt find the screws in the carpet.
Can you see the TCM/ ECM from the front, over the radiator. The pic looks like something I've seen before.