Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2008, 05:12 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anybody know or have any experience with doing away with or by passing the ABS brakes. My experience with ABS on a Buick and 3 silverados that I can stop much shorter on dry road with regular brakes (without ABS). I have tried some panic stops with all my vehicles and my opinion ABS just plain sucks. ABS reminds me of a model A Ford I had with mechanical brakes.
I think ABS have become Political Correctness in the Auto Industry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2008, 05:12 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anybody know or have any experience with doing away with or by passing the ABS brakes. My experience with ABS on a Buick and 3 silverados that I can stop much shorter on dry road with regular brakes (without ABS). I have tried some panic stops with all my vehicles and my opinion ABS just plain sucks. ABS reminds me of a model A Ford I had with mechanical brakes.
I think ABS have become Political Correctness in the Auto Industry
Old 02-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #3

try it on a wet road and you will keep your ABS.

There is a reason that an insurance company gives you a discount if you have a car with optional ABS.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by babock:
try it on a wet road and you will keep your ABS.

There is a reason that an insurance company gives you a discount if you have a car with optional ABS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The jury is still out on this as some reports seem to indicate dry pavement stopping distances can be increased dramatically with ABS as its main function is to increase stearing control. I know it can be frustrating to have an ABS equipped vehicle push the brake pedal back at you when someone has just cut you off and stopped short leaving you wishing there was a way to turn it off under certain conditions.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:17 AM   #5

Sure, you can stop faster when you are planning on using the brakes...it's the emergency braking that is the key...and the ABS is proven to slow your vehicle in those type situations.

Up here in the snow?....ABS is essential!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:15 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The best thing about ABS is that it allows you to maintain directional control of the vehicle while braking. It's not only about stopping distances. If you think about it, ABS means ANTI-LOCK braking system. So, if you're on a slippery surface and can't "LOCK-UP" the wheels you probably will have an increased stopping distance. However, you'll still be able to steer and maintain control. If you lock up the brakes on a vehicle without ABS and try to steer you'll find yourself continuing in the same direction no matter what as long as the brakes are applied.

An ABS controller can pulse the brakes MANY times faster than your foot and it will keep the brakes just at the threshold of lockup. No human can do that.

I certainly hope I'm never in a situation in my rig that would cause the ABS to activate, but if that time comes, I'm sure going to be glad I have it.

Jim.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:09 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think ABS is for peaple who caint drive!
Old 03-01-2008, 05:55 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
For me ABS makes the difference between surviving a close encounter and that little extra inch that gets you involved in the legal system and or hospital.

Early in my ABS ownership in fact as far back as 2001 our Dodge Caravan came equipped with ABS. We were coming down the Merritt Parkway back in Connecticut while approaching the Route 106 exit. The exits on the Merritt Parkway were designed for 1932 Studebakers, single lane, narrow and hairpin.

We were brand new to this vehicle at the time and for whatever reason I approached the exit at too high of a speed. I had driven off this ramp in the past several dozen times previously with other cars. Seeing that I wasn't going to be able to handle the hairpin, I got on the brakes and when I did it felt like the bottom of the brake pedal fell out. In most cases some folks would have taken their foot off the brake for an instant however I stayed in the brake. The resulting maneuver brought us to a much slower maneuvering speed and I never lost control as I rounded the turn.

If for no other reason Anti-Lock Braking Systems work autonomously and in the event of a real emergency perform as expected. I would unequivocally add that you could be Mario Andretti and or the best driver on the planet but not having ABS could be a fatality waiting to happen. ABS works, it's a proven system no matter how you look at it.

Now to a more immediate discussion. Traveling south through Starke, FL on the 301 a vehicle stopped short in front of us. I nailed the brakes and the ABS kicked in stopping us well before that "inch" that would have ruined our trip. (includes the SMI auxilliary brake system on the toad as well)

In my opinion; <span class="ev_code_RED">"ABS brakes - don't leave home without them!"</span>
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:17 AM   #9

Ron55,
There are a few people who can stop a non-abs equipped car faster than an abs equipped car and they are the top echelon of professional race car driver's. Ask anyone of them their opinion on abs and on a wet or dirty track they would all love to have it but most sanctioning bodies will not allow it because of cost.
Randy
knebrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:06 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I would think there would be a tremendous legal liability if one was at fault in an accident, and a disabled ABS was considered contributing factor.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
I would think there would be a tremendous legal liability if one was at fault in an accident, and a disabled ABS was considered contributing factor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually here in the South there is a growing concern that a good deal of dry pavement rear end collisions are indeed being caused by the ABS systems.

In these accidents steering is not an option as there is nowhere to go except straght ahead and into the rearend of the car in front of you.

I thought it was all hype until I had a close call where the ABS system kept easing off on the brakes and fighting the pedal. I had to use both feet on the pedal and much much greater effort to stop than in my Non-ABS equipped vehicles. The icing on the cake was that the person who had stopped short up ahead had cut off my wife who I was following. In her 20 year old Plymouth Voyager Minivan without ABS she was able to stop much faster than I was in a nearly new ABS equipped vehicle. I almost rear ended my wifes car that day.

Faulty ABS, dirty wheel sensors, too aggressive programming for dry road conditions I really don't know, however it is not fun when it happens and your ABS system seems to be fighting against you.

Could it be just the immature systems made before the year 2000 and already resolved in newer models? I don't know that either and only time will tell as the statistics start to grow. The last report I read showed no great reduction in overall collisions with the advent of ABS.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ron55, did you get your question answered or did you just get scolded ?
I'm not sure if our MH's are the same, but there must be a fuse for the ABS.
Problem is, when you pull that fuse, it probably controls something else too.
I leased a '96 F-150 before, ( won't do that again) and I pulled one fuse to disable the ABS and by golly it also disconnected my odometer on my 15,000 mile per year leased truck. The check engine light would come on tho.
Are there any brakes on these coaches, strong enough to lock up the tires any way?
I'd guess not on dry pavement anyway.
I certainly doubt mine could.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a very simple way to disable ABS brakes, This will sound alarms and flash warnings but it requires NO tools and is easily reversed, it does not damage the motor home nor does it void your warranty (How about that, a mod that does not void your warranty)

When you next start the motor home PRESS AND HOLD THE BRAKE PEDAL starting before you turn the key and holding for 30 seconds after you release the key

This will cause the system to register a fault and disable the ABS.

To restore ABS operation.. Shut off engine, re-start normally WITHOUT touching the brake pedal.